• Home
  • Bolzano Province,

Aldino-Aldein | Trentino Alto Adige Region

ALDINO - ALDEI | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

aldino

Aldino-Aldein, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige Region, Italy. Created from the union of the two villages of Aldino and Redagno, separated by the Rio Bletterbach canyon this small commune is situated at the foot of Monte Regolo in the upper Adige Valley. The landscape is dominated by the imposing summits of the Corno Bianco and Corno Nero. A very beautiful destination is the Parco Geologico Aldino-Redagno.

Appiano sulla Strada del Vino | Trentino Alto Adige Region

APPIANO SULLA STRADA DEL VINO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

appiano sulla strade del vino

Appiano sulla Strada del Vino, Province of Bolzano, Region Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Eppan an der Weinstraße in German, the commune lies about 8 km southwest of Bolzano and consists of many hamlets. Appiano is the largest wine-producing place in Alto Adige, belonging to the South Tyrolean Wine Route, and with its over 180 castles the richest in castles in Europe.

The seat of the Townhall is located in St Michael, in the Oltradige area at the foot of the Pènegal mountains, amid a natural landscape of forests interspersed with apple tree orchards, vineyards and ancient castles. The typical architecture of the houses, a mixture of gothic and Renaissance, creates a very picturesque environment.  The name appears for the first time in 509 as Appianum, surely derived by the Latin first name Appius or Appianus. In 1809 the Treaty of Schönbrunn united for some years South Tyrol to the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy, but after the defeat of Napoleon the province returned to Austria, and was again included in Italy only after WW1. The name "sulla Strada del Vino" was added in 1973.

WHAT TO SEE IN APPIANO

  • the ruins of the Castle of Appiano, the Hocheppan Schlöss, with a chapel inside dedicated to St. Magdalene, which hosts a cycle of frescoes of the early 13th century.
  • the Passo della Mendola (Mendelpass) at 1363 meters a.s.l., which connects the valley of the Adige river and the Anaunia valley, from where a 4-km long road rises to the top of the Penegal, offering a wonderful view on the Bozen valley and the Dolomite chain
  • the two Monticolo Lakes, a natural heaven surrounded by woods, with castles mirrored in the waters, small bays where sunbathing is Possible from spring to autumn, and the mild climate allows wonderful bike and trekking itineraries. In both the small and large lakes it is possible to swims, and on the Lago Grande there is also a large open-air swimming pool. In winter when the lakes freeze also skating is practised.

Badia-Abtei | Trentino Alto Adige Region

BADIA - ABTEI | TRENTION ALTO ADIGE

corvara

Badia - Abtei, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Badia - Abtei belongs with Corvara in Badia (Kurfar), San Martino in Badia (St Martin in Thurn) and La Valle (Wengen) to the main Ladin communities in the Badia Valley. It is a "comune sparso", that is, a comune that includes villages of various names, none of which has the name of the municipality; the townhall is situated in the "frazione" of Pedraces. The area can be reached through the valley of San Lorenzo and over several mountain passes like the Valparola and the Gardena Pass, which can be only used in the snow-free period.

Badia is included in the administrative entity ("comprensorio") of the Val Pusteria (Pustertal), in the south-east of the Province, bordering the two communes of the Belluno Province Cortina d'Ampezzo and Livinallongo del Col di Lana. Its territory is in the Puez-Geisler and Fanes-Sennes-Prags Nature Parks, and surrounded by the summits of Lagazuoi (2778 m), Conturines (3064 m), Lavarela (3055 m), Heiligkreuzkofel (2907 m) and Gardenaccia (2500 m).

The history of the area and its mountain villages is closely linked with the medieval colonization by the Benedictine convent of Sonnenburg in the nearby Val Pusteria, from which abbey ("Badia" in Italian) the name is derived. Badia belonged up to the end of World War I to the Austrian jurisdiction of Enneberg and was part of the district of Brunico.

Bolzano | Trentino Alto Adige Region

BOLZANO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE region of italy

Bolzano Italy

Bolzano or Bozen in German is in the South Tyrol (Alto Adige in Italian) area and is the capital of the mainly German speaking autonomous province of Bolzano-Südtirol. Today 3/4 of the city's inhabitants are Italians whose first language is Italian. The remainder speak German. With more than 100,000 inhabitants, the city of Bolzano is an important centre in the Alpine area. Bolzano is an economic and cultural cenre of the Alto Adige and the administrative centre of politics of the South Tyrolean autonomy. Since the foundation of the Free University of Bolzano in the mid ’90s, the city has also become a multilingual research and educational centre and is the connection between the German-speaking and Italian-speaking cultures.

SHORT HISTORY OF THE CITY

In prehistoric times, the Bolzano dip was uninhabitable since it was a swamp area, often flooded by the three rivers (Adige/Etsch, Isarco/Eisack and Talvera/Talfer).Therefore the first human settlements were established at the foot of the mountains and on the surrounding heights.

In the year 15 BC, Drusus, adoptive son of Emperor Augustus, subdued the whole territory of the Adige and Isarco valleys and constructed in the Bolzano area a bridge (PonsDrusi) and a road post. The precise location of this post - probably small and not very significant - is controversial. After the fall of the Roman Empire the region was invaded several times by the Goths, the Franks, the Lombards and the Bavarians.

In the 11th century, Emperor Conrad II granted the Bishop of Trento Ulderico II the land in feud. The Bishop expropriated a vineyard belonging to the monastery of Tegernsee and promoted the foundation of the first urban nucleus, corresponding to today's Portici, a favourite street for commercial activity (street junction for the communication between north and south).

The city was constructed during the 12th and 13th century: the city walls and a drainage ditch were built and it obtained municipal rights. In 1277 it passed under the rule of the Counts of Tyrol and in 1366 to the Habsburgs, thereby increasing its commercial inclination and expanding into the zone of today's town centre.

The medieval urban structure remained almost intact until the middle of the 18th century, when the town architect Sebastian Altman from Munich was entrusted with the drawing up of a project for the construction of a district of the new city.

In 1918, after World War I South Tyrol and Bozen were occupied by Italians and thereafter annexed. During fascism many Italians were moved to the city from southern Italy and, after a pact between Hitler and Mussolini, the majority of habitants of Bozen who spoke German had to choose between moving to Germany or assimilation (the so-called 'Opzione' or 'Option'). The fascist period also saw the development of the industrial area but mainly caused great damage to the environment and the landscape.

WHAT TO SEE IN BOLZANO

The historical centre is rich in monuments: Piazza Walther/Waltherplatz is considered the elegant heart of the city.Built by King Maximilian of Bavaria in 1808, the square initially carried his name, then that of Archduke John of Austria (Johannesplatz) and received in 1901 that of Walther von der Vogelweide, the most prominent medieval German poet (1170 -1230).

The mighty Gothic structure of the Duomo/Dom, dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption (open Mon-Fri 9.45-12 a.m./2-5 p.m., Sat 9.45-12 a.m.) faces the square from its south-west side. Construction was started in 1295, in Romanesque style, by Lombard workmen, continued in 1340 in Gothic style by Swabian labour and was finished during the first decades of the 15th century. Its 65-metre high bell tower, with its rising lacy pinnacle of sandstone, is the work of the Swabian architect and sculptor Hans Lutz von Schussenried (1501-1519).

From the Colle/Kohlern mountain protrudes the rocky spur of Virgolo/Virgl on which rises the baroque Chiesa del Calvario/Kalvarienkirche by Pietro and Andrea Delai (1684). The construction is not very large but interesting due to the presence of stucco work, paintings, wooden statues etc.From the churchyard one can enjoy a splendid view of the western quarters of the city.A little higher, one finds the old church of S. Vigilio /St. Vigil-Kapelle in Virgolo/Virgl, dating back to the 12th century.The church has been deconsecrated and closed for some time now, but it is of particular interest for its precious frescoes of the School of Bolzano - unfortunately partly ruined - from around 1400.

The Museo Archeologico/Archeologisches Museum is the new home of the Similaun Man, the approximately 5300 year old mummy found in 1991 on the glacier of Similaun. The exhibition area is 1200 square meters, distributed on 4 floors, and presents the history of South Tyrol from its dawn to the beginning of the Middle Ages, with original finds, models, holograms, videos and audio guides. The mummy, now nicknamed "Otzi", is preserved on the first floor together with the story of the find and reports of a medical-scientific nature. In temperature controlled glass cases the clothes and tools found by the side of "Otzi" are also on display.

Bolzano to Trentino Bike Path

BOLZANO TO TRENTO BIKE TOUR | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

The Bolzano to Trento path is the most important of all the cycle paths already built or projected in Trentino. It links, from north to south, the provinces of Bolzano, Trentino and Verona: the heart of the Alps to the Po Valley.  Like it has been for thousands of years, the Valle dell'Adige is a transit route to Italy and remains the preferred route to southern European destinations, even for those who travel by bike. The bike path is 90 kilometres long and represents the cornerstone of the whole cycle route project in Trentino.

BOLZANO TO TRENTO BIKE PATH ROUTE NOTES

The bike path runs almost completely along the Adige river, alternating between its right and left banks, using the old riverside roads which cross fields and orchards, skirting past hamlets, villages and the cities of Trento and Rovereto. It doesn't matter which direction you choose to ride, the path, from the north or the south, the elevation gain between its highest and lowest points is insignificant and you don't even climb 100m. There are no demanding climbs, but there are a few steep ramps, the steepest are those required for climbing the river's banks. Nearly the whole length of the path is along roads protected from motorised traffic and is reserved exclusively for cyclists, pedestrians and very infrequent agricultural vehicles which use it when moving from one farm to another.

This guide starts describing the Bolzano bike path from its most northerly point, where cycle paths arriving from the city of Bolzano link it. Keeping to the left bank, the first stretch runs down along the river Adige to the Rotaliano Plain near the village of Mezzocorona, the path does not pass through Mezzocorona. The area it crosses is through orchards and vineyards, that sits in the valley between the high rock faces on both sides of this part of the valley.  After 4½ kilometres, in the community of Masetto, the path move to the Adige's right bank and continues down the river, passing through the village of Grumo, separated from San Michele all'Adige by a grand arch bridge. In San Michele you can visit the interesting Museo degli usi e costumi della Gente trentina (Trentino People's Habits and Customs Museum), hosted in the ancient Augustine Monastery.

Continuing along the Adige, the path now run alongside a section of the Brenner motorway, an important and busy communication artery, without fee. After ten kilometres you will reach the village of Nave San Rocco where the path again crosses the river onto the left bank. The ride continues through the rural environment and there are equipped rest areas to stop for a break or to admire the surrounding views. After sixteen kilometres, the path moves away temporarily from the Adige, towards the centre of the valley for a short stretch up the Torrente Avisio. Consequently, you pass the mouth of the Avisio Biotope, a small protected area, the natural reserve is an important rest place for some species of migratory birds and a field centre for bird tagging, whose objective is the study of migratory flight paths used in crossing the Alps. On the outskirts of the town of Lavis the path crosses the Avisio over a wooden footbridge and continues towards the Adige, parallel to the Trento Nord motorway exit. For the next three kilometres the cycle path remains close to the river and the motorway, in view of the high, sheer rock-faces of the Soprasasso.

After 27 kilometres the path enters the city of Trento, initially along a busy street, then along the tree-lined bank, which separates the river from the Adigetto canal. The cycle path does not pass through the heart of the city of Trento, it merely touches it, but a visit to the City of the Council is an absolute must. Carrying on southwards, after 31 kilometres the path will once again cross over to the right-hand side of the Adige, there is also another branch of the cycle path on the left-hand bank. Once you reach the village of Mattarello, a southern suburb of Trento, the two branches of the cycle path come together on the left bank. A further eight kilometres the path reaches the village of Besenello, overlooked by the hill which houses Beseno Castle, summer home to interesting museum exhibitions of Trentino life from the past centuries. The path then goes past the village of Calliano on the right bank of the Adige and at Nomi crosses over next to another strip of land set up as a Biotope, a relic of the river environment which you could find along the Adige up until the end of the nineteenth century, before the river was completely banked. Right before the bridge of Nomi, we find the "Bicigrill", a rest stop and information point for cyclist.

By this point you will have completed 46 kilometres and another four the path continues along the left bank, skirting vineyards. Pass under the Sant'Ilario bridge, then the cycle path moves away from the river bank and using a lightly used road towards the outskirts of the town of Rovereto, Trento Province's second most important town. As in Trento, the cycle path does not head towards the city centre, easily reachable along a branch of the same path, which turns off by the River Leno crossing. Rovereto is a town worth visiting, full of unknown and interesting ideas and home of the artist Fortunato Depero, great exponent of the Futurist movement.

Rovereto is at 55 kilometres and the path again moves away from motorised traffic, another short section which once more carries us along the Adige until we cross it over the Mori Dam bridge, built to feed water into the Montedison Canal and the abandoned factory of the same name. At 60 kilometres, along the right bank of the Montedison Canal, the path will branch off from the cycle path which goes to Lake Garda via Mori. At the former Montedison factory we pass over to the Adige's left bank across the bridge and continue along a section next to the motorway and then alongside the Verona-Brennero railway line as far as the village of Chizzola, accessible on the other side via a footbridge. For the next 6 kilometres the cycle path is still being built, alternating between finished and unfinished sections until reaching the village of Pilcante. On leaving the village, the cycle path continues along the lightly used provincial road, the “destra Adige”, this road is shared with other vehicles as far as the Ala Dam. Having crossed the Biffis Canal, bypass the Ala-Avio motorway exit, once again travelling along a section of protected path. Pass through Vo' Destro, near Sabbionara, dominated by the mass of Sabbionara d'Avio Castle, which is worth visiting, whether for its beauty or the view from the top of the keep. There are still 5 kilometres to go on the cycle path in the Valle dell'Adige, all along the riverbanks in the narrow space between the river and the motorway. Finally we reach the village of Borghetto all'Adige, where the path ends at the bridge by the boundary with Verona province.

From this point you will use provincial roads to reach Verona.  There is traffic on this road so be careful.

Braies | Trentino Alto Adige Region

BRAIES | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

braies

Braies, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Known as, Prags in German, the commune consists of a number of small hamlets spread along the southern side of the Pusteria valley, in the vicinity of the picturesque Braies lake, at 1490m a.s.l., surrounded by evergreen forests, at the foot of the Dolomite summits of Croda del Becco (2810m.) and Sasso del Signore (2418m).

Brennero | Trentino Alto Adige Region

BRENNERO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

brennero

Brennero - Brenner, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Brenner in German, the town is situated at the border with Austria in the higher Isarco Valley; it was always an important communication with German - speaking regions. At Terme di Brennero there are mineral springs and a number of spa facilities.

Bressanone-Brixen | Trentino Alto Adige Region

BRESSANONE | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

Bressanone, Italy

Bressanone - Brixen, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Brixen am Eisack (in German) is a very old town (founded in 901 AD) and the third largest town of South Tyrol. Located at the junction of the Rienzea river and the Isarco river, it is an ancient, town with monuments from the medieval to the Baroque period. It is today a popular winter sports resort, thanks to the skiing facilities et Plancios-Plose. The majority of the population speaks German.

Art, culture and history have made Bressanone (Brixen) an important place and a must stop if you are traveling along the main north south valley of the Adige.  Located in the South Tyrol, Bressanone is more than 1,000 years old; it is the oldest in South Tyrol and was often a stopover for emperors on their travel and became a lavish bishop’s seat. The square in front of the cathedral, the protected historic centre from the Middle Ages, the porticos and lanes decorated with merlons, museum treasures, craft tradition and archaeological exhibits gives you plenty to discover.  Bressanone is a great city to stop over during your Bike Tour in Italy or Hiking-Walking Tour.

GETTING TO BRESSANONE

When you arrive in Bressanone (Brixen), you are in the centre of the South Tyrol. Bressanone can be reached easily on the Brenner highway and the Brenner railway line. Bressonane is close to everything: the Italian Dolomites, Val Gardena, the Seiser Alm, Meran, Bozen, the Kronplatz, Alta Badia, Obereggen-Latemar, North Tyrol, Trentino.

TOURING THE CITY OF BRESSANONE

Every tour begins in the Domplatz, redeveloped in 1998, with the imposing façades of the cathedral and St Michaels parish church on the east side, the town hall on the north side and public buildings on the west side. Towards the southwest the square opens out on to the east side, the town hall on the north side and public buildings on the west side. Towards the southwest the square opens out on to the Hofburg, where the Diocesan Museum can be found. The interior of the om (cathedral), reworked in the Baroque style between 1745-1758, is a monumental experience. Its broad vaulted nave is richly decorated with marble and stucco, the high altar by Teodoro Benedetti includes an expressive altar print by Michelangelo Unterberger. The high point of the artistic work is the ceiling fresco, the "Adoration of the Lamb" by Paul Troger. Immediately to the south of the cathedral is the Kreuzgang (cloister), which represents the stylistic richness of form in the late Gothic style as found in the Tyrol. Excellent artists from the Brixen and Bruneck art schools painted 15 of the 20 archways in the ambulatory between about 1370 and 1510. The (usually closed) Johanneskapelle at the southwest of the cloister is a showpiece of early Romanesque painting.
 
From the cloister it is only a short distance to the Seminarplatz. The priests' seminary, reworked in the Baroque style circa 1750, today serves as the Theology College. Immediately to the south of this is the Cusanus-Akademie, a busy college. Behind the seminary is spread the panorama of the Brixen hinterland with the low mountain range St. AndrÉ, and the villages of St. Leonhard, St. AndrÉ, Mellaun and Klerant. Above the low mountain range stands the Plose (approx. 2500 m), Brixen's Hausberg. Just a short distance away in a northerly direction from the seminary, past the back of the cathedral and the parish church, is the Michaelstor. Turn right here and the roads will take you via AdlerbrÄckengasse and the AdlerbrÄcke to the attractive district of Stufels. If you go left the road goes via the Pfarrplatz with its prestigious "Pfaundlerhaus" directly to the shopping centre, Gro¤e and Kleine Lauben. The Lauben came into being at the beginning of the 1400s; the sheltered alleyways protected passers-by and inhabitants from the rain and the sun.
 
Moving in a southerly direction from here, the Kleine Lauben leads towards the "Hofburg", the residence and administrative headquarters of the bishop until 1964 and, since 1974, the Diocesan Museum. Surrounded by a moat, the Hofburg is simultaneously an architectural jewel and a treasure chamber: the inner courtyard with Renaissance archways directs you to the display rooms in the house. They contain sacred works of art from the Romanesque period to the modern era and the Kaisertrakt offers a glimpse of the sophisticated Rococo culture.

Brunico | Trentino Alto Adige Region

BRUNICO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

brunico

Brunico (Bruneck) is located in the Trentino Alto Adige region, to the north east of Bolzano.  The city lies in the mountain valley that separates the Italian Dolomites from the Alps, and is overlooked by wooded slopes and the Kronplatz mountain and ski resort. Knowing a bit of German will help you get around when you visit Brunico.

What to See in Brunico

The city of Brunico dates from the 13th century, and the old centre is a lovely market town with narrow streets and medieval houses.  The old main street is full of colourfully painted houses, many with attractive balconies and hanging flower displays, there are several small statures hidden in corners and ancient doorways that give Brunico its character.

The Old Town is built around the picturesque “Monte del Castello” [“Mount of the Castle”], which once belonged to the Bishops of Brixen. The road called Via Principale is rich in historic mansions, among them that of Michael Pacher (1430-1498), a famous South-Tyrolean painter and sculptor.  As well as simply exploring the streets of this quaint town it is well worth visiting the churches, of which there are several of interest.

The Brunico castle is surrounded by a massive wall with towers. The castle is still well preserved. The entrance, on the south side of the castle, was originally only accessible via a drawbridge and consists of a late Gothic portal, dated 1584. On the tower above is the coat of arms of Bishop Andreas von Österreich (1591-1600).

Brunico Civic Museum holds the collection of Michael and Friedrich Pacher, with graphic works of the region by modern and contemporary artists and a section devoted to "graphics and literature".  On the ground floor is the permanent exhibition of late Gothic works by Michael Pacher (1430-1498) and apprentices and some valuable woodcuts by Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528).

The Museum of Customs in Brunico is interesting from the standpoint of local folklore. It is an open air museum, with several mills, granaries and local traditional furnishings.

The War Cemetery, where the fallen are buried from the Dolomite battle front during the First World War.i

WHAT TO EAT AND DRINK IN BRUNICO

The local cuisine of Brunico is very Austrian or Tyrolean and there are plenty of restaurants offering traditional dishes.  Specialities of the area are goulash, canederli, and wild game with mushrooms. There are no wines produced in the valley so most wines will be from the Bolzano area or the Adige Valley.

OUTDOOR SPORTS IN BRUNICO

Brunico is famous with tourists for both its summer and winter sports. The ski area “Plan de Corones” offers excellent opportunities to ski, sledding, cross country skiing, or snowboarding.  During the summer that are plenty of hiking trails to explore, mountain bike, or road bike. 

Caldaro Sulla Strada del Vino | Trentino Alto Adige Region

CALDARO SULLA STRADA DEL VINO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

caldaro sulla strada del vino

Caldaro sulla Strada del Vino - Kaltern an der Weinstraße, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy.  Kaltern an der Weinstraße in German, Caldaro sulla strada del vino (Caldaro s.s.d.v.), is a tourist village in South Tyrol, famous for its lake (Kalterersee) and wine (Kalterersee Auslese).

The cuisine combines Italian pasta with Tyrolean "knödel" (dumplings). This mixture can well be seen in Tyrolean style pizza. Also the architecture is interesting, the result of a fusion of Italian Renaissance and Tyrol tradition. The nearby Dolomite area is known for its bicycle tours.

Campo Tures | Trentino Alto Adige Region

CAMPO TURES | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

campo tures

Campo Tures - Sand in Taufers, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Campo Tures - Sand in Taufers is located in Val di Tures, along the Aurino (Ahr) river, in the north-east of the the District of Val Pusteria / Pustertal. It is also a "comune mercato", a town with historical market rights not surrounded by walls, as was usual in Bayern, Austria and South Tyrol.

The first mention of Tures appears in in the Brixner book from 1050 to 1065, the names Sand Maurizien and Sant appear from 1296 to 1410. The history of the place is closely linked to the medieval lords of Taufers, whose most famous representative was Hugo von Taufers. This dynasty were wassals of the bishops of Bressanone.

Between 1908 and 1957 the town was connected to the electric railway through Brunico Bruneck-Campo Tures. In 1926 the community took the official name of "Campo Tures" including the eight smaller communities of Sand, Drittelsand, Ahornach, Rein, Kematen, Mühlen, Mühlwald and Lappach. The latter two were soon separated, however, to form the comune of Mühlwald. In the course of Italianization by the fascists the places were renamed or translated into Italian. The Italian names are officially valid in addition to the original German names.

WHAT TO SEE IN CAMPO TURES

  • Tures Castle (Burg Taufers), among the most beautiful castles in South Tyrol, where many exhibitions are held throughout the year, and which was used also as a film setting.
  • In Moritzen, the old town with the church dedicated to St. Maurice.
  • the Riva waterfalls (Reinbachfälle), which can be visited on foot, after a light walk in the woods, starting from the Bagno Winkel.
  • the Residenza Neumelans, built in the late-Renaissance 1582-83 by Hans Fieger, at the time a judge of the mining area, then property of the noble families of Zeiller, Ottenthal and Schober Families. Since 1989 it has become the seat of the Tauferer Musikwoche, a biennial classical music event first established by musician Mario Russo.

Castelrotto | Trentino Alto Adige Region

CASTELROTTO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

castelrotto italy

Castelrotto - Kastelruth, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. It is a "comune-mercato" (a town with medieval market rights) in the centre of the District of Salto -Sciliar (Salten-Schlern), with part of its territory within the Schlern park, at the foot of the Dolomites.

The municipality consists of the main town of Castelrotto and ten "frazioni", including also the extensive Seiser Alm, the plateau occupying almost half of the area. The Seiser Alm is nature reserve, a smaller part belongs to the Nature Park Sciliar-Rosengarten. The three villages Bulla, Roncadizza and Oltretorrente lie on the south-western side of Val Gardena and thus belong to the Ladin language area.

The name "Castelruptum" appears for the first time in a document of 982-987 of Albuino, the Bishop of Bressanone. The remains of Castelvecchio - a massive square tower, traces of walls and brick huts - point to the presence of a fortified village in medieval times. In the 13th century the area became property of the Count Meinhard II of Gorizia-Tyrol and then passed to the Lords of Castelrotto. In 1348 the castle was owned by Duke Konrad Teck, the captain of the Adige department. In the early 15th century, the fiefdom passed to the Hauenstein family and large permanent farms were established.

Shortly afterwards Hungarian Michael Kraus became the lord of the castle, and was famous for his wealthy estates and charitable works. He was later buried in the chapel of the tower, where his tomb is still located today. His grandson Jakob Kraus was ennobled by Emperor Rudolf II in 1607; he proceeded to the demolition of the castle, creating a chapel for the village dedicated to St. Anthony; Jacob's son Georg Kraus (1675) established a natural park with seven small chapels and three large crucifixes. In 1847 the house became extinct. In the centuries the income of the inhabitants came mostly from the breeding of cattle, supported by vast alpine meadows. In the course of the 20th century tourism gradually became the main economic activity.

WHAT TO SEE IN CASTELROTTO

  • The Hauenstein Castle (Castelvecchio) in Siusi / Seis am Schlern, a ruined castle dating from the 12th century, above the village of Seis. Located at 1273 m in a dense forest at the foot of the Schlern, about 1 km west the Castle Salegg is located.



Corvara in Badia | Trentino Alto Adige Region

CORVARA IN BADIA | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

corvara in badia

Corvara in Badia, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Sometimes called Kurfar in German, it is the largest town and a popular ski resort in the Val Badia, in the "heart" of the Dolomites. It is part of the district Val Pusteria / Pustertal, and one of the 18 municipalities that make up the Ladinia cultural enclave.

Corvara was first documented in 1292, when it belonged to the Enneberg district. Colfosco instead was mentioned for the first time in 1153 and was part of the court of Selva Val Gardena until 1828 when it was united to the Val Badia was. Both Corvara and Colfosco belonged until the end of World War I to the Enneberg jurisdiction and were part of the Brunico district.

WHAT TO SEE IN CORVARA IN BADIA

  • Gothic parish church of St. Catherine in Corvara, first mentioned in 1347, with an altarpiece of the Danube School;
  • Parish of Colfosco, first mentioned in 1419, with wooden sculptures of the 15th century;
  • At the entryway to the Edelweiss Valley in Colfosco historic typical farmhouses in timber.

Curon Venosta | Trentino Alto Adige Region

CURON VENOSTA | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

graun curon in val venosta

Curon Venosta - Graun im Vinschgau, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Curon Venosta lies at the northwest corner of the province, at the junction Italy - Austria - Switzerland, and is the third largest comune in South Tyrol.

The municipality of Curon is often mistakenly called "Resia" (Reschen), due to the greater popularity of this village. In its territory is the Resia Lake (area 660 hectares), an artificial lake which submerged the old town, rebuilt further upstream in 1950. In the territory of Curon is also located the meteorological station of San Valentino alla Muta, officially recognized by the World Meteorological Organization.

In the year 15 BC the Celtic people who lived in the Val Venosta fell under the dominion of the Romans, who built the first commercial and military communication line through the Reschenpass naming it Via Claudia Augusta, which in the Middle Ages was called "Via Superiore" (Oberer Weg or Schwabenweg) and connected Italy to Germany. After 450 AD the first evangelizers reached the Adige Valley. In the Middle Ages a large community from Germany settled in the upper Val Venosta.

The remains of Old Graun (the medieval center) are now at the bottom of Lake Resia, an artificial lake created in 1950 to generate electricity. Except for the church tower, all buildings on the eastern edge of the valley were demolished, the village was rebuilt and the population resettled. The steeple of St. Peter's, which rises out of the lake today, is the only remnant of Alt-Graun.

Dobbiaco | Trentino Alto Adige Region

DOBBIACO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

toblach dobbiaco

Dobbiaco - Toblach, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Called "gateway to the Dolomites" (Tor zu den Dolomiten) and one of the three places called "Comune delle Tre Cime" (=Three Peaks) along with San Candido and Sesto, Dobbiaco is in Val Pusteria (Pustertal), the "green valley", protected to the south by the Dolomites (Cima Nove, Monte Serla) and to the other sides by the West Tauri and Carnic Alpso.

In a strategic location at the crossroads of the main routes leading from Venice to Munich and from the Adige Valley to the Drava basin, Dobbiaco is divided into two parts by the Alpine Dobbiaco watershed; the river Drava, a tributary of the Danube, springs in the east of the territory. Although politically Italian, Dobbiaco is outside the physical territory of Italy, which is entirely within the Mediterranean basin, while the Drava and Danube belong to the Black Sea basin. Another important river which flows below the village is the Rienza, which springs at the foot of the Three Peaks and, passing by the Dobbiaco lake (Toblacher See), crosses the val Pusteria to Bressanone, entering then the Isarco, which in turn flows into the Adige.

The territory is divided into two areas calles "Old Dobbiaco" (Alt-Toblach), in a more elevated position (1,256 m above sea level) in the San Silvestro valley, and "New Dobbiaco" (Neu-Toblach), built in the early 20th century in the vicinity of the railway station, at the mountain pass. The two areas are clearly separated by the Val Pusteria state road.

The earliest human settlements in Dobbiaco may have begun during the Hallstatt period; the first mention of the place is in 827 AD. The area became of strategic importance as a connecting trade route from Venice to Germany.

In the 19th century the monks of San Candido built the first church in Dobbiaco. When a railroad was built in Val Pusteria in 1871, tourism started to grow, with urban developments in New Dobbiaco. During World War One here passed the frontline, and the church and many buildings were destroyed.

WHAT TO SEE IN DOBBIACO

  • the parish church of St. John the Baptist, a baroque church built on the foundations of a Romanesque and later Gothic church, which is one of the most majestic baroque churches in Val Pusteria;
  • the oldest "Kreuzweg" (=Via Crucis, Way of Sorrows) in Tyrol, with 5 Passion chapels along the Maximilianstrasse, ascribed to Michael Parth and built in 1519;
  • the Gothic Santuario in Santa Maria (Aufkirchen), built in 1272, with remarkable Gothic middle relief
  • the parish church of San Nicolò in Valle San Silvestro (Wahlen), built in 1512
  • The Grand Hotel Toblach, a luxury hotel built by the Austrian Southern Railway Company from 1877 to 1878, which after an extensive renovation in 1999 is used as a cultural center.
  • the Herbstenburg Castle built in 1500 by brothers Konrad und Christoph von Herbst
  • the Roten Turm (Red Tower), built in 1430 as a defensive structure.
  • The maso Trenker, a mountain hut where composer Gustav Mahler spent his summer holidays from 1908 to 1910. It can be reached from Carbonin Vecchia (Altschluderbach); here Mahler composed his 9th Syphony, the 10th and the celebrated Das Lied von der Erde (The Song of the Earth).
  • Lake Toblach (Lago di Dobbiaco, Toblachersee), a small alpine lake, located at an altitude of 1,176 m, with the Rienza as its inflow and outflow, with a circumference of about 4.5 kilometers, located right on the border of two natural parks, the Three Peaks and the Fanes-Senes-Prague. In the warm season it is possible to tour the lake on a boat, and in the cold season, when the lake is completely frozen, curling or skating can be practised.
  • The Landro Lake (Dürrensee) at 1,400 m above sea level, a low-water lake with no outlet, therefore warmer than lakes at a similar altitude and in summer quite suitable for swimming.
  • San Pietro in Monte (St. Peter am Kofl), above Aufkirchen, first mentioned in 1329, a refuge of priests and the oldest religious sanctuary in the upper Pusteria Valley

Egna-Neumarkt | Trentino Alto Adige Region

EGNA-NEUMARKT | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

neumarkt egna

Egna - Neumarkt, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Neumarkt in German, Egna is the chief town of the Überetsch-Unterland district, the main cultural, historical and artistic centre of the area. Around 60% of the population are German-speaking.

In the entire district Neumarkt is only the third most populated town after Leifers-Laives and Eppan-Appiano. The town is situated on the plain (241 m), on the left bank of the Adige river, 25 km south of Bozen-Bolzano. Neumarkt was a Roman town on the Claudia Augusta road it was called Endidae.

WHAT TO SEE IN EGNA

  • remains of a Roman house
  • the arcades of the old town
  • the Local Culture Museum
  • the church of Vill

Graun im Vinschgau | Trentino Alto Adige Region

GRAUN IM VINSCHGAU | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

graunvinschgau

Graun im Vinschgau, Bolzano Province, in theTrentino Alto Adige Region, located northwest of Bolzano, on the border with Austria and Switzerland.Graun im Vinschgau borders the following municipalities: Mals, Kaunertal (Austria), Nauders (Austria),Pfunds (Austria), Sölden (Austria), Ramosch (Switzerland), Sent (Switzerland), and Tschlin (Switzerland). The village borders Lake Reschen, deepened and extended when the valley was dammed in order to produce hydro-electricity. The original town can no longer be visited, having been abandoned by the time of the dam's completion in July 1950. Graun was rebuilt on the new shores. The ancient half-submerged bell-tower has become a landmark, and is the centrepiece of the commune's coat of arms.

History of the township

In 15 BC the Celtic people then living in the upper Venosta (Vinschgau) valley found themselves incorporated into the Roman Empire following the construction of a commercial and military route crossing the Alps via what is now known as the Reschen Pass, the route then being called the " Via Claudia Augusta". The transalpine route retained its importance through the medieval period,  renamed as the "Upper Way" ("Oberer Weg"/"Via Superiore") or the "Swabia Road" ("Schwabenweg"/"Via di Svevia"). After 450 a wave of Christian missionaries arrived from Chur. By the time of the Black death (1348), from which most of the population of the time died, most of the Vinschgau Valley, including Graun, had been settled by German speakers. The exception being the side valley of Müstair, where the Romansh language survives to this day. German has remained the majority language in Graun since and as of 2011 German was the first language for more than 97% of its population.

Lasa (Laas) | Trentino Alto Adige Region

LARA | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

laas im vinschgau

Lara or Laas, Bolzano Province, in the region of Trentino Alto Adige in northern Italy, located about 40 km west of the city of Bolzano.  The township sits in the Venosta (Vinschgau) Valley were there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy year round.

Laas is known for the pure white marble quarried in the mountains south of the village which has been used in buildings world-wide, including the Victoria Memorial, London. Laas stands on one of the largest conical rock slides in the Alps, known as Gadriamure, which emerges from the narrow valley above the village of Allitz. This fan shaped field may have been created by the collapse of a mountain above the present Gadriatal. The fan of rock blocks the main valley Vinschgau and displaces the River Etsch to it's southern edge, The river has cut out a groge and revealed buried logs 7300 years old the valley now supports irrigated fruit orchards.

A great way to explore the valley is on the VENOSTA BIKE PATH

Lower Atesina Region of Bolzano Province Bike Route

LOWER ATESINA BIKE TOUR | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

Bike Tour Bolzano

 

A great one day bike tour for the whole family that can be done in spring, summer and autumn.

Start and finish for this bike tour is the village of Ora, located along the main train line running from Trento to Bolzano.

Cycling time: 2.5 hours

Cycling route: 34 km

Elevation gain: 195 m

Max Elevation: 320 m
 

Bike Tour Bolzano Lower Atesina

LOWER ATSINA BIKE TOUR ROUTE NOTES

From the train station, of Ora, head south of it you will find a marked bike path that follows the banks of the Adige river. Cycle on the trail until you reach the bridge in Ora crossing the Adige river. Here you turn right, before you reach the station you turn left and then you take the second path on your right. Now continue towards the western side of the valley.
When the road ends, you turn left towards Magrè and cycle across the village. Always keep right towards Roverè della Luna. Approximately 1 km before you reach Roverè della Luna turn left towards Salorno and cycle across the village.

Before you reach the slope up to Cauria, turn left, past the Baita inn towards the hamlet Laghetti di Egna. Before the hamlet you turn left again and continue on the cycling trail back to Ora.

FOR A COMPLETE ROUTE GUIDE CONTACT ITALIAOUTDOORS

Merano | Trentino Alto Adige Region

MERANO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

merano

Merano - Meran, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy, Merano - Meran is probably best known as a spa resort, the second biggest city of the province (after Bozen-Bolzano) and located inside a basin, surrounded by mountains (1500-3335 m), at the entrance to the Passeiertal-Val Passiria, the Vinschgau-Val Venosta and the Ultental-Val d'Ultimo valleys. In the past, this idyllic town has been a popular place of residence for many famous scientists and doctors, who appreciated the mild, Mediterranean climate and the healthy air.

Meran was the capital of the Tyrol county from 1418 to 1848. When Friedrich IV moved the court to Innsbruck in 1420, Merano quickly lost its predominant position and its importance as an economic hub. Only the Tyrolean struggle for freedom of 1809 drew a lot of attention again: on the Küchelberg above Meran the Tyroleans eked out a victory against the French and the Bavarians.

HISTORY OF MERANO

Once the home of the ancient Retic tribes, then an important transit centre, later a fortified Medieval town, Merano was chosen as capital of the then Tyrol region from the thirteenth century on and also administrative centre of the Burgraviate area stretching from Tel at the opening of the Venosta valley to Gargazzone in the Adige valley. The town retained its title as capital even when the new Counts of Tyrol moved their administration offices and the civic mint to Innsbruck in the fifteenth century but, then no longer politically nor economically important, Merano then later became simply a popular residential centre for the Tyrolean nobility who chose to build their sumptuous residences here in the sixteenth century. During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries many refugees from the Grigioni area arrived in Merano to escape from religious persecution in their homeland. The nineteenth century marked the rebirth of the town when some of the local doctors together with an attentive town administration proposed Merano as a health spa and it soon became one of the most popular resorts in Central Europe. 324 metres above sea level, protected by the mountains from the cold north, the town has a delightfully mild climate and, soon, Hapsburg, Prussian, English, French and Russian nobility and aristocracy graced the resort with their presence. 

Luxurious hotels and elegant public buildings were to be seen everywhere and it seemed that nothing could go wrong until the First World War broke out in 1914 and everything came to a temporary halt. It was necessary to re-promote the town between the two wars but the discovery of the health-giving radio-active waters at Monte San Vigilio helped until,once again, development was interrupted by the start of the Second World War. Merano has slowly regained its name as a health spa and tourist centre in recent years. Its elegant buildings and beautiful gardens and parks help make the town truly unique in the whole Alpine region.

Merano boasts some of the most beautiful examples Liberty-style buildings in the whole SudTirol Area:

  • The Civic Theatre, dedicated to the famous composer Puccini, was designed in 1900 by Martin Düfler.
  • The Post Office Bridge with its wonderfully ornate Liberty-style golden railings was built in 1906 and recently restored in 1993.
  • The Kurhaus, a magnificent building, designed by Vienna architect Friedrich Ohmann in 1914, is, without doubt, the loveliest example of Liberty-style architecture in the entire Alpine region. The great hall holds over 1,000 people and is equipped to host international congresses, conferences, exhibitions and concerts.. The adjacent elegant Pavillon des Fleurs, built in 1874, has seating for 300.

After World War I, Merano became part of Italy with the rest of the Alto Adige, but unlike Bolzano the plans of the fascist regime to assimilate the German speaking citizens by settling a majority of citizens from other parts of the Italian kingdom failed because of skillful negotations of the city administration led by Baron Marcart. After 1945, it became one of the main tourist sites in the region.

Nova Ponente | Trentino Alto Adige Region

NOVA PONENTE | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

nova ponente

Nova Ponente - Deutschnofen, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Deutschnofen in German, Nova Ponente is a commune in South Tyrol, 7 km from the frontier with the province of Trento, and comprises also the boroughs of Rauth-Novale and Obereggen. Almost all people in Nova Ponente speak German.

Nearby Obereggen, with 900 German-speaking inhabitants, is at the foot of the Latemar and near the Schmieder mountain. There are trekking and mountainbike itineraries on the side of the Latema, two cable-railways and a ski lift. San Floriano is another nice hamlet between Zapf and Obereggen, with the chapel of San Florian.

PLACES TO VISIT IN THE BOLZANO PROVINCE

Rasun Anterselva | Trentino Alto Adige Region

RASUN ANTERSELVA | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

rasun anterselva

Rasun Anterselva - Rasen-Antholz, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Rasen Antholz in German, the commune consists of a number of small hamlets, situated among mountain prairies and fir-wood forests in the Val Pusteria, a paradise for skiers and mountain lovers. At Anterselva di Sopra, there is the picturesque Anterselva lake, at 1600 m a.s.l.

Renon | Trentino Alto Adige Region

RENON | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

renon

Renon - Ritten, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Also known with the German name of Ritten, the town rises in the wide, picturesque plateau between the valleys, of the Talvera and Isarco rivers, and consists of three smaller centres: Ritten itself, Collalbo (or Klobenstein), Costalovara (or Wolfsgruben).

It is one of the largest communes in South Tyrol, with an altitude between 250m and 1300m. The inhabitants are mainly of native German tongue. It is a renowned sports resort, with tennis courts, swimming pools, bowling and horse riding, as well as skiing facilities and skating rings.

Renon is connected with Bolzano with a provincial road and with a cableway from Oberbozen - Soprabolzano, the longest cableway of the world in one track, about 4 km long and 12 minutes to travel. This cableway replaced in 1960 the previous rack railway, built in 1911. The railway is still in function on the mountain side between Maria Himmelfahrt/Maria Assunta and Klobenstein/Collalbo.

WHAT TO SEE IN RENON

  • Near Oberbozen - Soprabolzano and Lengstein - Longostagno there are groups of earth pyramids that can be seen.

Sesto | Trentino Alto Adige Region

SESTO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

sesto

Sesto - Sexten, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Sesto Pusteria, Sexten in German, is a small town in the easternmost part of South Tyrol. It is situated in a side valley of the Pustertal, near Innichen and the Toblacher, where the Drau river originates.

The territory borders in the north directly on Osttyrol (Austria), the course of the border forms the Karni alps. In the south the Sextener dolomites lie and the nature park of the same name, that is reached through the picturesque Fischleintal. Through the Kreuzberg mountain pass the area is connected to the Veneto region. The place is well-known as summer and winter sport resort, furthermore by its Tiroler cribs and Schnitzer.

WHAT TO SEE IN SESTO

  • the romanesque church of Innichen (8th century)
  • a unique stone clock (meridiana in Italian) that uses as reference points the nearby Dolomite peaks, Nove, Dieci, Undici, Dodici and Una (in German Neuner, Zehner -Rotwand, Elfer, Zwoelfer and Einser).
  • the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, a climbers' paradise, three incredible peaks that stand out from the gravels, one of the most astounding shows of nature (Cima Grande, the big peak, is 2998 m. high).

Tre Cime di Lavaredo | Dolomites

TRE CIME DI LAVAREDO | ITALIAN DOLOMITES

Tre Cime di Lavaredo

The Tre Cime di Lavaredo ( Italian for "the three peaks of Lavaredo"), also called the Drei Zinnen (German, literally "three merlons"), are three distinctive battlement-like peaks, in the Sexten Dolomites of northeastern Italy. They are probably one of the best-known mountain groups in the Alps. The three peaks, from east to west, are:

  • Cima Piccola/Kleine Zinne ("little peak")
  • Cima Grande/Große Zinne ("big peak")
  • Cima Ovest/Westliche Zinne ("western peak").

The peaks are composed of well-layered dolostones of the Dolomia Principale (Hauptdolomit) formation, Carnian to Rhaetian in age, as are many other groups in the Dolomites (e.g., the Tofane, the Pelmo or the Cinque Torri). Until 1919 the peaks formed part of the border between Italy and Austria. Now they lie on the border between the Italian provinces of Bolzano (South Tyrol) and Belluno and still are a part of the linguistic boundary between German-speaking and Italian-speaking majorities.

The first ascent of the Cima Grande was on August 21, 1869, by Paul Grohmann with guides Franz Innerkofler and Peter Salcher. The Cima Ovest was first climbed exactly ten years later, on August 21, 1879, by Michel Innerkofler with G.Ploner, a tourist. The Cima Piccola was first climbed on July 25, 1881, by Michel and Hans Innerkofler. The routes of these three first ascents are still the normal ascent routes; the Cima Piccola's route is the most difficult of the three. Emilio Comici was the first to climb the north face of the Cima Grande in 1933 in a party of three, after an ascent time of 3 days and 2 nights. This partly overhanging northern face is considered by climbers to be one of the great north faces of the Alps.

Numerous routes lead from the surrounding communities to and around the peaks. The most common route is from Paternkofel/Monte Paterno to the alpine hut Auronzo at 2,333 m (7,654 ft), over Paternsattel (Patern Pass) to the alpine hut Dreizinnenhütte/Locatelli at 2,405 m (7,890 ft), and then to the peaks. There are a number of other routes as well. Since the front line between Italy and Austria during World War I ran through these mountains, there are a number of fortifications, man-made caves, and commemorative plaques in the area. Nearby communities include Auronzo di Cadore, Toblach/Dobbiaco, Sexten/Sesto, and the Puster Valley. The area has also staged many finishes in Giro D'Italia.

Trento to Bolzano Adige River Bike Path, Trentino Alto Adige Region

TRENTO TO BOLZANO CYCLE TOUR

Mezzocorona, Trento to Bolzano Bike Tour

If you riding in northern Italy and wish to ride from cities of Trento to Bolzano the best option is to use the bike path that connects the city. The difference in elevation between the two cities is minimal, about 70 m gain over 70 km [230 feet over 44 miles]; therefore, it doesn't make a lot of difference which way you follow the route, one direction or the other. The route described here starts from Trento (and therefore has a very slight elevation gain going towards Bolzano).

Bike Touring Italy, Trento to Bolzano Bike Path

OVERVIEW OF TRENTO TO BOLZANO BIKE RIDE

Signposts: Pista ciclabile Val d’Adige / Fahrradweg Trento - Cadino - Bozen (N° 1)

European Route: Via Claudia Augusta, Val d’Adige cycle track

Estimated time>2.5 - 3.5 hours
Distance: 60 km
Elevation Gain: 60 m
Surface: entirely asphalted
Starting point: Trento
Finish point: Bolzano
Towns Along the Route: Trento, Lavis, Zambana, Nave S. Rocco, Mezzocorona, Faedo, Rovere della Luna
Bike & train: regional trains with cycle trailer serve the railway line between Bolzano and Trento

Italy travel planning and travel support services

TRENTO TO BOLZANO BIKE PATH ROUTE NOTES

The point of departure is the FS train station at Trento: leaving the station exit to the right, then take an immediate right onto Cavalcavia [overpass] San Lorenzo, which takes you over the tracks; cross the Lungo Adige Canal and just before the bridge over the Adige River, is the bike path. To go to Bolzano, turn right. Alternatively, before you get on the bike path, you could take a quick tour of the city. Crossing the Piazzale in front of the train station, dominated by a monument to Dante Alighieri, and heading to the left, you will find yourself at the Castello del Buonconsiglio, which for centuries was the seat of the bishop of Trento, the de facto ruler of the city. After visiting the castle, take a street to the right and you will enter the old town; the traditional center of the city is the Piazza del Duomo, dominated by a beautiful bell tower.

The bike path initially is located on the right side of the Adige (left if coming from the north), then alternately on the left side and then on the right again. It touches the villages of Lavis, S. Michele all`Adige, Salorno (where you enter the province of Bolzano), and Ora. This stretch of the Adige bike route is characterized by huge apple orchards; in the fall, the red color of the apples ready for harvest dominates the landscape together with the blue of the river and the blue-green of the mountains.

A few miles before Bolzano you leave the Adige river and now finds oneself on the left side of the Isarco River [Eisack in German]; the bike path continues through the developed areas of Bolzano ending at the historic center with Piazza Walther as its center. A few hundred meters further is the train station on the Brennero route.

CONTACT US FOR TRAVEL PLANNING AND TOUR SUPPORT SERVICES OR VISIT THESE PAGES

Valle Aurina | Trentino Alto Adige Region

VALLE AURINA | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

valle aurina 

Valle Aurina - Ahrntal, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. The comune includes the rear section of the valley of the Aurina Valley, in Val Pusteria, the northernmost valley in Italy, crossed by the Ahr river. There is no inhabited centre whose name is "Valle Aurina", but a number of villages, with the townhall located at Steinhaus (Cadipietra). Almost all the population are Native German speakers. In the Valley you find the skiing facilities of Klausberg at Cadipietra and the Speikboden (Michlreis) near Lutago.

Important archaeological finds of prehistoric moorland were found in Rio Bianco (Weienbach), at Schillberg-Goge in 2007. The name was mentioned as "vallis quae dicitur Aurina" in 1048.

WHAT TO SEE IN VALLE AURINA

  • The parish church of San Giovanni (St. Johann), the spiritual center of the valley, built by Joseph Abenthung, a Tyrolean architect of the 18th century.

Venosta (Vinschgau) Valley | Trentino Alto Adige Region

VENOSTA VALLEY | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE

vinschgau valley

The Vinschgau (medieval: Finsgowe) or Vinschgau Valley is the upper part of the Etsch or Adige river valley, in the western part of theprovince of Bolzano in the Trentino Alto Adige Region of Italy.

The valley runs in a west-east orientation, between the Reschen Pass and Merano. Due to a rather warm climate and a lack of rain (400mm per year), the apple orchards throughout the valley are irrigated. According to the 2001 census, 96.51% of the population of the valley speak German, 3.41% Italian and 0.08% Ladin as first language.

Towns along the Venosta (Vinschgau) Valley

Vinschgau - is also the name of a district, in which the 13 municipalities of the valley cooperate. These municipalities are:
Glurns
Graun im Vinschgau
Kastelbell-Tschars
Laas
Latsch
Mals
Martell
Prad am Stilfser Joch
Schlanders (district capital)
Schluderns
Schnals
Stilfs
Taufers im Münstertal

follow us

General

  • About Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Privacy Policy