HIKING AND WALKING IN ITALY
Hiking and walking Italy is about exploring the mountains, seashore, islands, and walking through small Italian Villages. I have been hiking, climbing, and biking in the Mountains of Italy since 1985 and there seems to always be more to explore and pieces of history to discover. I have found that with just a pair of boots or walking shoes, Italy has opened many new adventures and experiences in my life, and is perhaps the best way to discover the small tastes of Italy.
Italy is an exceptional location, for an active vacation by foot. There are great walks and hikes throughout Italy: the Veneto, Trentino, Friuli Venezia and Emilia Romagna regions; that explore the multi layers of history, culture, the varied geographical profile, and introduce you to small ecosystems that offer a variety of food and wine products. One of the best things about being a hiker or walker in Italy, is after the hiking is done you can select to be in the mountain hut for solitude or in a small Italian village enjoying a glass of wine and perhaps learning a bit of history. This section is a general guide to assist you in planning your adventure.
SUGGESTED HIKING/WALKING TOURS TO ITALY
- Hiking Tour In Cinque Terre
- Hiking Tour In the Hilltowns Of Tuscany
- Hiking Tour in the Amalfi Coast
- Alta Vie Hiking Trail 1, Italian Dolomites
- Alta Via Hiking Trail 5 (Titian's Trial), Italian Dolomites
- Alta Via 2 Hiking Tour | Italian Dolomites
- Monte Baldo Ring Hiking Tour
- Hiking in the Euganean Hills
- Alta Vie Hiking Tours in the Italian Dolomites
- Monti Lessini Traverse Walking Tour, Verona Province
- Monte Baldo Traverse Hiking Tour, Verona Province
- Lago Di Fimon to Costozza Walking Tour, Vicenza Italy
- San Marco Venice Walking Tour, Venice Province
MOUNTAINS OF ITALY
- Italian Dolomites of Italy - UNESCO national monument.
- Alps of Italy
- Prealps Mountains - To the south of the Dolomites are the pre-Alps or Prealpi, these mid-mountains were formed at the same time the Alps were formed. Being at a lower elevation the Prealpi make a great early season destination and a good choice to mix a few days up in the mountains with a few days the historical cities of Veneto.
- Apennine Mountains
- Regions of Italy - In every region of Italy there are cities are places to escape walking or hike
PLANNING A HIKING TRIP TO ITALY
- Dolomite's UNESCO World Heritage
- Hiking the Alta Vie Trails in the Italian Dolomites
- Four Thousand Meter Peaks of the Alps
- Mountain Huts, Rifugio and Bivacchi in Italy
- Primary Peaks in the Italian Dolomite's of Italy
You do not have to explore the upper elevations and higher mountains to enjoy walking in Italy: walking the Colli (hills), that separates the Veneto plain with the Prealpi, you find an atmosphere much like Tuscany, but denser and more varied in cultural sites. You can learn a lot about the history of Italy by following the original tracks of Roman roads, pilgrimage trails to Rome, or the migration tracks of tribes who have settled in the region over the centuries, all along the way you will find a fascinating landscape to explore.