ARCOLE WINE AREA, VERONA PROVINCE
This D.O.C.'s beginnings were defined by official guidelines in 2000. It covers a strip of land extending around 300 square km located on the alluvial plane between the provinces of Verona and Vicenza, while the hilly area is in the south, with Motta Hill in San Bonifacio, and in the east, covered by part of the Berici Hills.
This large area has mainly sandy, or sandy-clayey soil reclaimed over the centuries, canalizing the water of the various rivers, Adige in particular, which flow through the region.
The vineyards that first appeared to the all East of Verona are attributed to the Romans. The area has become especially famous for the cultivation of a particular kind of vine, the vite retica. Monks from the Villanova Abbey cultivated vines, making it the main wine-growing area around the year 1000.
A document dated 1562 demonstrates that the monastery counted «150 vine fields in its possession [...] and [...] there were other fields in Arcole, 579 fields in all ».Wine-growing today draws on modern techniques combined with tradition and the dedication of its wine-growers.
The wines bearing the D.O.C. designation are:Arcole Bianco, Arcole frizzante (sparkling), Arcole spumante, Arcole Chardonnay, Arcole Chardonnay frizzante (sparkling), Arcole Garganega, Arcole Pinot bianco, Arcole Pinot grigio, Arcole Sauvignon, Arcole rosato (rosé), Arcolerosato frizzante (rosé sparkling), Arcole Rosso, Arcole Rossofrizzante (sparkling), Arcole novello, Arcole Nero, Arcole Cabernet, Arcole Cabernet riserva, Arcole Cabernet Sauvignon, Arcole Cabernet Sauvignon riserva, Arcole Carmenére, Arcole Carmenére riserva, Arcole Merlot, Arcole Merlot riserva, Arcole passito and Arcole Garganega vendemmia tardiva (late-harvest).
The traditions of wine-growing and wine-making are deep rooted in the territory. Agricultural seasons are still defined by the stages of vine-growing and the work the cultivation entails. Home wineries are still scattered among the vineyards where the genuine flavour of tradition can still be savoured.
Along the first stretch of Porcilana road, an ancient Roman road connecting Este to San Martino Buon Albergo, some road signs reveal the area's Napoleonic origins. The Monastery of San Giuliano di Lepia - a marvellous but little known Medieval jewel - is located at the beginning of this road. A little further on is the town of Gombion where, during the battle of Arcole (15-17 November, 1796) the French military forces led by Napoleon clashed with Austrian forces. An obelisk - the only one in Italy celebrating a Napoleonic battle - stands as a reminder of the French victory in Arcole. More over, along theStrada del Vino (Wine Road) itinerary visitors will come across numerous points of beauty including churches and monuments in this quality wine territory.
BARDOLINO, VERONA PROVINCE
Bardolino, Province of Verona, Veneto Region, Italy. Located 30 km northwest of Verona, on a hill along the shores of Lake Garda. In the past it was mainly a fishing and agricultural center.
In the last few decades the economy centered on tourism and sports, with a growth of hotels, restaurants and trattorie, vacation rentals. The hills were cultivated with vineyards since prehistoric times, and give a widely renowned wine, the Bardolino, made until the 19th century by fermenting the must in holes in impermeable rock strata covered by stone slabs, from a mixture of grapes: the Corvina, Molinara and the Negrara.
Prehistorical remains show that the area was inhabited by man, living on stilt houses. There are also remains od Roman times, but the first mention of the place was at the time of king Pipinus, 8th century AD, who donated the local church of San Zeno to Verona. In the 9th century the castle was built, and later under the Scaligeri family the fortress enclosed the whole town.
In the 15th century it was conquered by the Venetian Republic, which established a confederation among the 10 towns of the eastern shore of Lake Garda, under the name of "Gardesana dell'Acqua", ruled by a magistrate called "Capitano del lago". At the time Bardolino was the center of the Venetian lake fleet. In 1797 it followed the destiny of Venice, given to Austria by Napoleon, and only in 1866 it was included in the Kingdom of Italy.
This picturesque town located on the Verona provincial banks of Lake Garda, and has maintained a comb layout and architectural structure typical of fishing villages. Today the major economy is supported by tourism instead of fishing.
The fame of Bardolino is connected to the DOC (controlled designation of origin) wine with the same name that is appreciated in locally and abroad. This wine is the fruit of a fertile and generous soil and the mild climate of the area. Bardolino is the realm of water sports, mountain-biking, road biking, and trekking. The is the ideal place for relaxing walks and adventurous excursions in the hilly hinterland.
Switching to the pleasures of good eating, the cuisine of Bardolino is supported by the traditional agricultural economy and its typical products, such as oil, fish and wine, which are served in fine restaurants at the port or in the cosy trattoria's of the countryside. However, the flavour and taste experience is even more interesting along the Bardolino wine route: Here the cellars ritually open their doors, to both connoisseurs and non-connoisseurs for wine tasting and food events.
BARDOLINO WINE ZONE, VERONA PROVINCE
Seeds found in lakeside dwellings in Cavaion Veronese, Lazise and Bardolino suggest that vines have been grown in this area since the Bronze Age. In particular, the designation takes its name from the homonym town located on the lush green eastern shores of the Garda Lake. Certainly, the name Bardolino is German in origin, but legend also suggests it derives from Bardali, daughter of King Axuleto and niece of Manto, founder of Mantua, celebrated by the Latin poet Virgil and by Dante in the Divine Comedy. Monks from the Church of Saint Columban took care of producing Bardolino in the Medieval period, thereby saving it from obscurity. Until the nineteenth century, Bardolino was usually made by fermenting must in impermeable cavities in the earth, covered with slabs of stone. Currently, the traditional wine-growing and wine-making processes are combined with advanced technology for the purpose of maintaining the features of the grapes that grow and ripen in the singular environment of a lake interland.
The first Protection Consortium of Bardolino wine was established in 1924, in response to a perceived need to supervise and protect the production of this wine whose fame was growing in line with rising trade. A study conducted in 1939 by the Agricultural Institute of Conegliano Veneto led to the definition of the best production areas. At that time, the moraine area that stretches the length of Lake Garda's east coast was identified as the "Bardolino" area (encompassing the municipalities of Garda, Costermano, Affi, Bardolino, Cavaion and Lazise), a separate entity from the "Sona-Custoza" area (including the municipalities of Sona, Sommacampagna and Valeggio) using criteria based on soil type and climate conditions, marking the origins of current zoning studies.
A mild climate, sun exposure, a balance of rain and temperature, soil variety including sand, gravel and clay, in addition to the dedication and skill of wine-makers, have made Bardolino a particularly palatable wine that has won international acclaim.
The D.O.C. wines are Bardolino, Bardolino classico, Bardolino Chiaretto, Bardolino classico Chiaretto, Bardolino Chiaretto spumante, Bardolino novello and Bardolino classico novello.
These wines are made with precise grape mixtures made from the fruit of species of vine native to Verona such as Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara and Rossignola. The seventy kilometres of the Strada del Vino (Wine Road) itinerary link 16 different municipalities along the shore and inland: in this route numerous wineries welcome visitors in the shadows of old churches, Medieval castles and the villas of the nobility encircled by wonderful gardens.
BIKE TOURING LAKE GARDA TO VERONA | VENETO REGION
Sign posted bike route that is the first leg of the Veneto Regions bike touring itinearies. The route takes you from Italy's largest lake, through the wine areas, and over to the city of Verona. If you plan your vacation well you could catch an Opera at the Arena during the summer months. This is a great ride with some small hills but there is multipule things to do and see.
BIKE TOURING LAKE GARDA TO VERONA ROUTE NOTES
- DISTANCE: 53 km long route
- START POINT: Pescheria del Garda
- ENDING POINT: Verona
- ELEVATION GAIN: 90 meters
- AVERAGE % GRADE: 3%
Starting in the old city of Pescheria del Garda take the main road north through Lazia, Bardolino and then Garda, the town that gives the lake its name. From Garda make you way to the Camaldolese Hermitage, it is still run by a small community of Benedictine Monks. You are still riding through the Bardolino wine-yards and olive groves, hidden in the fields is the Church fo San Severo. To get to the Adige Bike Path from here you can either ride past the Riviera degli Olivi or go down towards Pastrengo, passing through the village of Calmasino. The first option you find Rivoli Veronese, an urban area on the southern slopes of Monte Baldo known as the 'morainic amphitheatre'. The area was the part of the battle ground during Italy's 'First War of Independence' and still hosts forts built by the Austrians, to defend the Adige valley.
From Rivoli you head in the direction of Verona enjoying a nice bike path and a view of the Valpolicella wine region. Valpolicella is well known for its Amarone and Recioto wines. Along its route you will pass the towns of Pescantina and Bussolengo, which were once important river ports. Verona can be accessed over the dam in Chievo, at the end of the bike path, you will come to a path running along the dam and from here you can start your ride around the city. Verona combines a millennium of history with contemporary art. (Overnight Verona)
SECTION 1 GARDA TO RIVOLI VERONESE
SECTION 2 RIVOLI VERONESE TO BUSSOLENGO
SECTION 3 BUSSOLENGO TO VERONA
BIKE TOURING LAKE GARDA TO MANTUA | VERONA
Peschiera del Garda to Mantua is one of the most popular bike trails in Northern Italy. A busy route that is visited each year by local and traveling cyclist, the route is well marked and on level ground. The route takes you along the parts of the Mincio River passing from the Verona province into the province of Mantua.
Distance: 44 km
Route: Paved bike paths
Start: Peschiera del Garda
There is a public bus+bike service for this route.
BIKE TOURING THE VERONA PROVINCE | VENETO REGION
The Verona Province offers great riding for all levels. The bike paths north along the Adige River, Monte Lessini mountain group, south along the Mincio river bike path to Mantova, or east toward Vicenza and Venice. With the city of Verona and it's historical sites and Opera season in the Roman arena, plus the shorelines of Lake Garda this area of the Veneto has an untapped variety of roads to ride for all level of cyclist.
BIKE TOURING ROUTES IN THE VERONA PROVINCE
Bike Touring from Verona to Vicenza | Verona
Bike Touring from Lake Garda to Verona | Verona
Bike Touring Lake Garda to Mantua Path | Verona
CLASSIC BIKE CLIMBS IN THE VERONA PROVINCE
Punta Veleno from Brenzone Bike Climb
LOCAL RESOURCES FOR BIKE TOURING IN VERONA
As you plan your Italy Bike Tour check out the Verona Tourism website where there are a few bike touring itineraries, most are and around Lake Garda. There is the Italian website of Amici della Bicicletta di Verona, the local branch of the FIAB, and view the cicloturismo section to find some recommended rides in the area. This same group has also published several routes with gps information on the GPSies.com website. – follow the links from this page.
The Verona FIAB has also made a great map showing cycle touring itineraries in the area. It can be purchased on the site or in the bookstores in Verona.
The Verona Province of the Veneto regions offers several excellent good Bike Touring options. The Province has a nice mix of history, culture, food and wine, along with various terrian options. The Verona Province has Lake Garda, Lessini Mountains, Prealps of Monte Baldo, several wine zones, and parts of the Paduana Plain, the province is bordered by the Trento Province, Vicenza Province, Brescia Province and Mantova Province.
There are several places you can base yourself for one to three days of riding. If you are change locations a couple of times you can explore all of the Verona Province in a week on a road bike or Mountain bike.
Bike Touring Verona - Peschiera del Garda to Malcesina
A 52 km path that starting, from the center of Peschiera arrives to the center of Malcesine, will make you discover the variety of scenery and landscapes offered by the Riviera degli Olivi on Lake Garda. It starts from a coastal environment by the waters of the lake and then switch to a hilly area rich of vineyards and olive groves, crops that have made this a popular tourist destination in the world. From here, an easy ascent leads at the top of the Rocca above Bardolino and Garda, before descending again to the lake near the beautiful Punta San Vigilio. The route then connects to the historic path of the Pellegrino and arrives to Malcesine, through woods and ancient villages alternated with stretches with beautiful panoramic views of the blue lake. This path can be done by mountain bike or on foot from any town of the Riviera with direction north or south using the various access roads. Of course, the journey can be covered in a day or in stages, using, in whole or in part, also the public transport (bus or boat).
BIKE TOURING THE OLIVE GROVES OF LAKE GARDA ROUTE NOTES
CHECK POINTS - Peschiera del Garda - Lazise - Bardolino - Garda - Torri dei Benaco - Brenzone sul Garda - Malcesina
- Distance - 52 km
- Lenght - 5/6 hours (bike) 12 h (trekking)
- Level difference - 292 m
BRENZONE, VERONA PROVINCE
Situated on the Eastern bank of Lake Garda, Brenzone is a town with Roman origins and has sixteen hamlets. Castelletto, Magugnano, Porto and Assenza are the largest towns overlooking the lake. These areas have kept the urban layout typical of fishing villages around a port.
The economy of Brenzone was once supported by small fisheries but today tourism is the lake's main resource. In fact, this splendid town on the Riviera of Olives has hotels, residential hotels, and camp sites as well as numerous restaurants where it is possible to enjoy delicious fresh water fish.
In land area of a few kilometres Brenzone goes from the banks of the lake to the two thousand meters of Mount Baldo, offering various Hiking and Mountain Bike trails. The crystal clear waters of Lake Garda and the constant winds of Brenzone also make the place ideal for water sports such as sailing, windsurfing and kite surfing.
Brenzone is famous for the production of fine PDO (protected designation of origin) extra virgin olive oil.
Other interesting places to visit including the Roman Church of Saint Zenobius (San Zeno) at Castelletto, the chapel dedicated to Saint Nicholas in the hamlet of Assenza, the charming uninhabited medieval quarter of Campo, while traces of ancient castles are still visible in Campo and Biasa.
There is great biking all around Lake Garda with the base of one of Italy's hardest road bike climb's called Punto Veleno
There is hiking above the town on Mt. Baldo and a couple of climbing sites in the hills.
Things To See
- Antico Borgo di Campo (Stone Village)
- Chiesa di San Nicola
- Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli
- Chiesa di San Antonio Abate
- Chiesa di San Zeno
- Oleificio (Oil Mill)
- Museo Etnografico
Tourist Office - via Zanardelli, 38 - Frazione Porto - tel. 045/7430076
CUSTOZA WINE ZONE, VERONA PROVINCE
A perfect balance of knowledge and vine-growing tradition, climate and soil conditions unique to the area between the south shore of the Garda Lake near Verona, the Mincio and the Adige rivers have each contributed to this wine. In the designated area of provenance, soils are mainly moraine containing the well-polished stones typical of glacial deposits, the climate is mild, and rainfall average. The grapes are cultivated in sunny vineyards, with ample exposure giving the product a distinct quality.
D.O.C. wines are: Bianco di Custoza, Bianco di Custoza superior, Bianco di Custoza spumante and Bianco di Custoza passito. The official guidelines provide for the use of Trebbiano toscano, Garganega, Tocai friulano, Bianca Fernanda (a local Cortese cross), Malvasia, Riesling italico, Pinot bianco and Chardonnay grapevines in strict proportions. Bianco di Custoza D.O.C. is a white wine. Its straw yellow colour tends towards golden yellow with ageing. It has a fruity and slightly aromatic fragrance and velvety flavour.
The Strada del Vino (Wine Road) itinerary winds through the inland landscapes around the Garda Lake, through vineyards and olive groves, villas and castles, the area's ancient atmosphere enchanting the visitor.
Walkers can enjoy historical and natural trails (named "Camminacustoza" and "Tamburino Sardo") among the Custoza hills and cyclists can choose from several itineraries, from Castelnuovo towards the Garda Lake, over the Valeggio hills, from Sandrà along the Popes road to Oliosi, through the Tione valley and over Mount Mamaor, the last peak to the south of the hills carved millennia ago by glaciers.
During the itinerary it is particularly attractive visit the town that gives the name to this famous wine, Custoza, a charming old place which was once a sentry and detention outpost overlooking the Postumia road. The area abounds with reminders of the Risorgimento. Two battles in the period of dissension leading to unification were fought here, leaving traces scattered among the vineyards, such as the Ossuary, the Sardinian drummer farm and a monument celebrating the grenadiers of the Sardinian Brigade.
FUMANE | VERONA PROVINCE
The town of Fumane, located in the middle of Valpolicella near the city of Verona, is made up of a wide lower valley and the lower plains of the Lessinia plateau. The name Fumane comes from "a le fumane" place where there are smoke due to the production of wood coal. The community of Fumane also includes the hamlets and villages of Breonio, Cavalo, Gorgusello, Manune Mazzurega and Molina.The lower valley is part of the "Progni", with the Grotta of Fumane and the Molina Falls Park, is part of the Regional Natural Park of Lessinia. The area around Fumane has been inhabited since prehistoric times. The Grotta of Fumane is one of the oldest and most important prehistoric site in the area. Stone slabs dating back to Roman times testify to the presence of the Arusnati, a population that was probably of Etruscan origin who lived by cultivating the vineyards and working with stone materials. The area is also interesting for its so-called castellieri, fortified villages high up on the hills.
HOW TO GET TO FUMANE
The town of Fumane can be easily reached from the A22 highway: exit at Verona Nord and follow the service road (“tangenziale”) towards Valpolicella. There are also local train and bus connections to and from the city of Verona.
- Distance from verona: 18 km.
- Surface area: 43 km2.
- Altitude: between 155 m and 1,128 m a.s.l. Popolution: 4,081.
Twin cities: Atapuerca (Spain) Tratalis (Sardinia) and Urdinarrain (Argentina).
THINGS TO SEE AROUND FUMANE
THE GROTTA OF FUMANE
Discovered in 1664 by Giovanni Solinas, the Grotta of Fumane gives evidencetes that Neanderthals were present between 90,000 and 35,000 years ago. And articles from one of the first groups of Homo Sapiens Sapiens or modern man between 35,000 and 25,000 years ago. One important find was one of the oldest stone drawings in Europe, in red coloring, with one of painting that seems to show the silhouette of a shaman. Visits to the The Grotta of Fumane are to be made by reservation at the Consorzio Pro Loco Valpolicella.
SANTUARIO DELLA MADONNA DELLA SALETTE
The Madonna della Salette Sanctuary was built in 1860 on the hill overlooking the inhabited area of Fumane in 1860. The inhabitants made a vow to build the Sanctuary and dedicate to Our Lady of La Salette (France), during a period in which there was an epidemic of downy mildew which was devastating the vineyards of the valley, if relief was provided. The beautiful square in front of the church dominates the entire valley of Fumane and Valpolicella. The Sanctuary can be reached by car, or, on foot, along a path about 450 metres long that goes through a pine wood. (The chapel is open Sundays, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM).
VILLA DELLA TORRE
The villa of Torres is one of the most interesting examples of country houses from the XVI century in the Veronese area, and it may have been planned by the architect Michele Sanmicheli. The main feature of the villa is its blend of nature and architecture, a unique quality which is best expressed in the enormous replaces shaped like the mouths of monsters, in the mask decorations, and in the arti cial grotto between the two flights of stairs that lead to the garden. The closed nature of the layout recalls that of an ancient Roman domus. Next to the tower which gives the villa its name is an octagonal temple that is most certainly by Sanmicheli.
MOLINA AND THE FALLS
A nice visit in this area, especially if you have young kids, is Molina, a splendid “borough” that has been well preserved with its ancient stone courtyards and houses. To the southeast part of the village lies the Waterfall Park (80,000 m2) which presents wonderful hiking areas with its woods, meadows, streams and falls. The Lessinia Botanical Museum displays all the different types of vegetation of the Park. Unique to this area are the springs, located just north of the inhabited area of Molina, which provide an abundant source of water.
The present day San Marziale Church reflects restoration works done between the 1400s and 1500s upon a thirteenth century building. It has the form a Latin cross, a single nave, two side chaples and a square apse. Inside there is wooden polyptych on two orders, carved and painted by Francesco Badile around 1535, and other votive frescoes by Francesco Morone carried out around 1510. There are also frescoes dating back to the second half of the 1500s on the vault and lunettes.
S. MARIA DEL DEGNANO CHURCH
More commonly known as the Vaio Church, The Santa Maria del Degnano Church has been mentioned in documents dating back to 1163. Of the Romesque origins still extant, there is the outer lying wall on the southern side, and the base of the belltower, restored around 1400. Inside the belltower there are four mullioned windows with small columns all having different capitels, which appear to be have been taken from two 14th century columns cut in half. In 1610, Paolo Ligozzi did frescoes for the church on panels depicting the life of the Virgin.
Wine-making has a centuries-old culture within the local population. The hard work and passion they put into growing the indigenous grapes produces some of the nest wines in the world: Valpolicella, including Classico, Superiore and Ripasso, Recioto and Amarone. The wines are produced according to traditional methods which must be considered a true art.
GARDA, VERONA PROVINCE
Located on the eastern shore of the lake the town of Grada has elegant Venetian-style buildings and some of the most extensive beaches of the Riviera of Olives which make charming resort area.
The Gulf is closed to the north by Mount Luppia, that dips into the lake and forms the enchanting Punta San Vigilio and to the south by the Rocca hill, which can be reached by taking an arduous path that is characterized by the flora of the Mediterranean. In medieval times, the castle of Garda stood on the Rocca, this was a very important castle, so much so that the ancient Latin name of the lake "Benacus" was changed to Lake Garda.
An easy path of about three kilometres leads to the romantic cliff of Punta San Vigilio, an oasis of peace and poetry that has inspired prestigious guests.
The alleys in the center of Garda, once inhabited by fishermen, now house elegant shops and cosy restaurants that prepare fresh water fish, the main ingredient of the local cuisine. The many hotels, residential hotels and a modern congress building make this a popular resort for tourists.
This area offers many different activities that can make for an active vacation, including sports, walks and interesting cultural activities. Even the traditional festivals affirm the deep ties that this area has with fishing. The "Palio delle Contrade" is a picturesque regatta of traditional rowing boats held in Mid-August, while the Sardellata al Pal del Vò, held in July, is an evening of fishing for sardines followed by a dinner on a boat in the middle of the lake.
HISTORY OF GARDA
In prehistory man lived here in stilt houses, and remains were found near the Rocca, and later archeological findings of the Bronze Age are abundant in the area called Sabbionara; also graffiti were discovered in Mount Luppia, which go back to at least 2000 BC.
In Roman times Garda was probably a castrum, as shown by the regular street plan with one main street connecting the entrance and exit doors, and all the other alleys following a perpendicular pattern.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, the place became a strategic stronghold as shown also by its name, which is of Germanic origin and means fortress, which was extended to the whole lake replacing the Latin name of Benacus Lacus. In the year 888 AD the Rocca was the prison of queen Adelaide of Borgogna, who was helped to escape by a local friar. In 1162 the fortress was able to stop the army of Emperor Frederick Redbeard for over a year.
In the following centuries it was a theater of civil strife as Verona and other Italian cities, until in 1277 it came under the control of the Scaligeri family. In 1387 passed under the Visconti of Milan and in 1405 was conquered by the Venetian Republic, which established a confederation among the 10 towns of the eastern shore of Lake Garda, under the name of "Gardesana dell'Acqua", ruled by a magistrate called "Capitano del lago".
In 1452, the "Corporazione degli Antichi Originari" was established, which bought the exclusive right for the fishermen of Garda, Torri and Sirmione to fish in the lake, a right which is still preserved today, since the descendants of the fishermen auction the fishing rights every year, sharing the revenue with the members of the corporation.
In 1797 with the Napoleonic invasion the Venetian rule ended; in 1815 the Congress of Vienna assigned the area to the Regno Lombardo Veneto, a kingdom ruled by a viceroy appointed by the Austrian monarchy.
The Italian Risorgimento was very strong in this part of Italy, and in 1848 the king of Sardinia Carlo Alberto Savoy met at the villa Albertini, in Garda, the representatives of the towns requesting inclusion in the Kingdom of Piedmont. Only in 1866, however, Garda became part of Italy.
GARDA WINE ZONE, VERONA PROVINCE
The Garda D.O.C. area includes the parts of the provinces of Verona and Brescia that overlook Garda Lake, and part of the province of Mantua. Vine-growing in these areas dates back to the times of the Etruscans who imported wine-making techniques. The special qualities of Garda Lake, especially its moraine soil and the mild climate, have encouraged vine cultivation to the point it has become very important for the local economy, thanks also to the excellent results obtained by wine-growers who have always pursued the search of quality in their work. Vineyards alternate with olive trees and cover the hills of the Garda area with their colours that change with the seasons.
The designation was awarded very recently (2005) to qualify some wines produced from a single vine species, traditionally grown in areas with consolidated designations of origin only for wines produced as mixed varieties. The D.O.C. wines, made with at least 85% of their grape content from the species of vine that give them their names, are: Garda Chardonnay, Garda Cortese, Garda Garganega, Garda Pinot bianco, Garda Pinot grigio, Garda Riesling, Garda Riesling italico, Garda Sauvignon, Garda Tai, Garda spumante rosé, Garda Barbera, Garda Corvina, Garda Cabernet, Garda Cabernet franc, Garda Cabernet Sauvignon, Garda Merlot, Garda Pinot nero and Garda Marzemino.
Wines from the grapes of official Garda Garganega an Garda Chardonnay species of vine can be rendered sparkling thanks to a natural re-fermentation process, and are subsequently put on the market as simply Garda frizzante. Those obtained from the Pinot Bianco, Chardonnay and Riesling grapevines can be made into a spumante, again, only following a natural re-fermentation process. It should be noted that Corvina and Cortese are grapes from native species of vine that are very important for the celebrated blends in the area: Corvina for red wines such as Amarone, Valpollicella and Bardolino; Cortese for white wines such as Bianco di Custoza.
HIKING LAKE GARDA - BARDOLINO EREMO DEI CAMALDOLESI
Starting from the fire station in Bardolino follow the Lake promenade towards Garda. Immediately after the camping Continental, turn right into the road leading to the regional road. Go past this and go uphill to the base of the castle rock, where you turn right now. After 400 meters on the right you will find the Institute Tusini of the Salesians. Here turn left into a path that will lead you directly to the castle rock, San Giorgio, where is the Hermitage of the Camaldolese monks and then continue to the Rocca Vecchia.
After admiring the landscape, continue walking until you reach the pass between the two castle rocks. Here you can choose between two options: either you go up to Bardolino on the same route, you have committed going uphill, or you go to Garda on the path that leads you at first to the Madonnina del Pigno and then, passing behind of the parish church of Garda, to the lake. To Bardolino, you can either go back on foot, following the lakeshore towards south, or by public bus, after a visiting tour of the village.
HIKING LAKE GARDA - BARDOLINO EREMO DEI CAMALDOLESI ROUTE NOTES
Bardolino - Mure - Rocca - Eremo - Madonna del Pign - Garda - Bardolino
- Distance - 9,5 km
- Lenght - 3,5 h (trekking)
- Level difference - 282 m
LAZISE, VERONA PROVINCE
Lazise, Province of Verona, Veneto Region, Italy, is located along the eastern shores of Lake Garda, 23 km west of Verona, and has a fine castle and port. It is today a lively tourist center, with hotels, boarding houses, home rentals, a camping site managed by the townhall, right in the historical center of the town.
The town, whose name is derived from the Latin word lacus, has very ancient origin, it was a stilt huts settlement, later a Roman castrum, and an important medieval fortress. From 888 and 961 the kings of Italy Berengarius I and Berengarius II granted it the title of free town, independent of feudal lords, so it was the first free commune in Italy. Following emperors, though establishing feudal rule over the town, still allowed it to maintain a relative freedom of trade and military organization.
During the 13th and 14th centuries Lazise was under the Scaligeri of Verona who built the rocca and the docks. In 1405 it was conquered by Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Lord of Milan, and soon after by the Republic of Venice. Under Napoleon it was included in the Cisalpina Republic, but the Congress of Vienna (1815) delivered the town to the Austrian dominion. Only in 1866, after the third war of independence Lazise was again Italian territory.
The Town of Legnago, Province of Verona, Veneto Region, Italy. Situated along the Adige, the last town crossed by the river before reaching the Adriatic Sea, at 39 km from Verona, it is in a good strategic position and within easy reach from Mantova, Rovigo, Vicenza and Ferrara.
The Adige river is navigable also by large boats, and two impressive iron bridges cross it, connecting Legnago by railway to Monselice and Treviso.
The town was founded by the Lombards and transformed into a powerful fortress in the early 16th century by architect Sammicheli. The fortress was destroyed by Napoleon, but rebuilt by the Austrians after 1815, and in the 19th century was one of the four strategic fortresses (the so-called Quadrilateral) of the Austrians, with Verona, Peschiera and Mantova.
LUGANA WINE ZONE, VERONA PROVINCE
The Lugana D.O.C. wine area includes a small, prized region near the southern shores of the lake, surrounding the municipality of Peschiera del Garda in the Verona area and the municipalities of Sirmione, Desenzano del Garda, Pozzolengo and Lonato in the Brescia area. The moraine hills characteristic to this zone, crossed by the river Mincio originating in Peschiera from the Garda lake, the predominantly clay soils with some traces of lime, rich in mineral salts, and the mild lake climate are all factors that contribute to defining the characteristics of the designation.
This wine represents the maximum expression of the Turbiana or Trebbiano di Lugana grapevine, perfectly acclimatized in the Garda Lake's microclimate. The Roman poet Gaius Valerius Catullus celebrated this wine in his poems while Longobard and Ostrogothic kings chose it for their tables.
There are three different typologies of Lugana D.O.C.: Lugana, Lugana superior and Lugana spumante.
Lugana is straw yellow with hints of green, turning to gold with refinement. Its bouquet is delicate, pleasant, floral, and mineral fruity, its flavour fresh, soft and well-orchestrated. It becomes
Lugana superior after an ageing process of at least twelve months. This gives the wine its straw yellow or golden yellow colour, becoming more pronounced with refinement. Its bouquet is still delicate and pleasant, but it can also acquire features of tropical fruit or yellow flowers. Its palate is soft and harmonious but more full-bodied with a subtle hint of wood.
Lugana spumante has a persistent, fine fizzyness, and is an intense straw yellow with possible gold reflections. It has a fragrant, subtly fruity aroma when the Charmat spumante method is used, while fermentation in the bottle gives it an elegant, compact and aromatic bouquet when the classical sparkling process is used. Its flavour is fresh, tangy, stylish and well-orchestrated, with toasted, yeasty undertones. The area is full of very fascinating places in natural, artistic and historical terms. Peschiera del Garda, along the Verona shores of Lake Garda, was built at the mouth of the river Mincio, and between its powerful bastions built by the Austrians, traces of the battles that raged in the Risorgimento era can be seen, as can buildings by the architect Sanmicheli, the ruins of the Fortress belonging to the Della Scala family, ancient parish churches and the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Frassino.
MALCESINE, VERONA PROVINCE
Malcesine, Province of Verona, Veneto Region, Italy, the name of the town derives from Mala Silex meaning bad stone, probably in connection to the steep crest where it is situated, from the lake level to the top of the Monte Baldo. At 54 km from Verona, it is the northernmost commune in the province along the shores of Lake Garda. It was a favorite destination of writers and artists, such as Gustav Klimt, who painted here in 1913 some of his most famous landscapes, and Goethe who was almost arrested as a spy when he was admiring the imposing castle. Today it is a lively tourist and cultural center.
Dominated by an elegant castle, Malcesine is a magical place with unforgettable panoramas.This romantic town located on the eastern shore of Lake Garda has inspired renowned celebrities like Goethe who stayed here during his trip to Italy. The within the small medieval town center the promenade along the lake is dotted with restaurants and shops while the old streets wind their way up to the Scaliger Castel. The Scaliger Castel stands out from the rocky buttress with its high tower, which was a Lombard settlement rebuilt by the Scaliger family. Today the Castel is home to an interesting Natural History Museum dedicated to the Lake Garda area and the flora and fauna heritage of Mount Baldo.
If you want to enjoy breathtaking views, take the very modern Malcesine Mount Baldo cable way. From its rotating panoramic cable cars you can see a sudden transition from the Mediterranean flora with its olive groves and oleander gardens to the flora of the mountains. Moving from the Lake which has an elevation of around 100 meter above sea level to Mt Baldo with an elevation of 2000 meter.
If in winter the ski slopes of varying difficulty allow descent accompanied by the splendid view of the blue lake, in the summer the bay of Malcesine is filled with colourful sailboats, kite and windsurfing, while the dirt tracks and trails of the countryside are a considered some of the best in Europe for hikers and mountain bikers.
MONTI LESSINI WINE ZONE, VERONA PROVINCE
The Monti Lessini wine area is completely hilly and extends through the provinces of Verona and Vicenza. On the side nearer Verona, the territory includes the upper Val d'Illasi, Valle del Tramigna and the towns located to the north of Val d'Alpone, whilst on the Vicenza side lie the valleys of the Chiampo, Leogra and Agno rivers.
The soils are mainly of volcanic origin, composed of basaltic tuff. But it is not the soil or climate conditions that matter most in this D.O.C. area, but rather the features of the native grapevine, the Durella. Its special quality is a very high natural acidity in the grapes deriving from the plant as opposed to the soil which is mainly alkaline. More precisely, it is the combination of the soil and the plant that gives the grape its unique flavour.
It is also called "Juliet's Wine". Shakespeare drew inspiration for his famous tragedy from a story written by Luigi da Porto, an aristocratic from Vicenza who, in 1530, wrote about the two noble lovers, Romeo and Juliet. In his work he mentioned the "Duràsena" grapes growing in the valleys surrounding the two castles of Montecchio Maggiore where the wine drank by the unlucky lovers was made. The Duràsena of that time is today's Durella variety, which is used to make still or spumante Monti Lessini Durello. Production also includes Monti Lessini Durello superiore and Monti Lessini Durello passito, the latter obtained from the careful selection of grapes which are left to age for at least four months. The acid undertone of Durella is reduced by the high concentration of sugar in this wine which assumes unmistakable accents.
Other D.O.C. wines are Monti Lessini Bianco, Monti Lessini Bianco superiore, Monti Lessini spumante, Monti Lessini spumante rosato or rosé, Monti Lessini Rosso and Monti Lessini Rosso riserva.
The enchanting valleys of Lessinia offer the perfect itinerary for the Strada del Vino (Wine Road), where visitors can discover the region that has historically been home to and still is home to this extraordinary grapevine. The Road links towns with great wine-making traditions, offering architectural and panoramic points of interest along the way, including one of the most famous fossil sites known to the world, Bolca.
PESCHIERA DEL GARDA, VERONA PROVINCE
A fortress city in the shape of a pentagon Peschiera del Garda is a jewel of architecture, art and culture placed at the southern end of the "Riviera of the Olives", the classical name of the eastern shore of Lake Garda. Sitting just 25 km west of Verona, the town rises where the Mincio river leaves the lake. The course of the water was changed to build the fortress, making three separate canals which surround Peschiera and then join again south of the town. Today the area is included in the Mincio Natural Park, whose fascinating landscapes can be enjoyed also thanks to a long cycling route following the course of the river from Peschiera. The economy today mostly based on tourism and wine production, especially the Lugana white wine.
A transit point between the Alps and the Po Plain, Peschiera was always of great strategic importance and a trade center. Human settlements on stilt houses were found in many areas, at least seven villages, in 1851, by German archeologists Keller and von Sacken, who named from the area a period of the Bronze Age, the Peschiera-Zeit.
In Roman times there was vicus named Arilica, described by Plinius the Elder for its wealth of fish, which probably gave rise to the town's coatofarms, two eels with a gold star. At the time of the Barbarian invasions, Pope Leo I stopped here Attila in 492. In the 8th century the name was changed to Peschiera. In the following centuries the town followed the destiny of Verona, and was a key center in the city's military system. In 1387 it was conquered by Gian Galeazzo Visconti, lord of Milan and son of Regina della Scala, then in 1440 Francesco Sforza delivered it to the Venetian Republic. From 1549 the town was surrounded with defensive walls, following a plan design by Guidobaldo della Rovere, and later Michele Sammicheli and Anton Maria Lorgna.
The wall system is an example of military architeture among the most complex in Italy, with the further feature of being surrounded by waters. In 1815 the congress of Vienna delivered Peschiera to the Austrian Empire, who turned it into one of the four corners of a strategic system of defence. In 1866 it was included in the Kingdom of Italy.
It was first part of the Lombard territory and then it became the domain of the Scaliger and Visconti families. Under the domain of the Serenissima Republic of Venice in the 16 th century Peschiera assumed its urban structure with the building of the Fortress and the surrounding walls, built by Michele Sanmicheli. Today, the bastions and alleys of the old town are home to shops, hotels and fine restaurants that delight the palates of visitors with plates belonging to the gastronomic traditions of Garda, such as "Bigoli with sardines" and Risotto with carp which is best served with Lugana, a DOC white wine.
The surrounding countryside is full of vineyards where you can bike along the long and winding cycle track that connects Peschiera to Mantua. Great place to walk or bike throughout the year.
SOAVE, VERONA PROVINCE
Soave is a lovely and historic small town near Verona that should be on every ones "to visit" list when traveling through the Veneto. A medieval walled city and one of the Touring Club Itailiano's "Comune Bandiera Arancione", Soave has a rich history and cultural tradition, and one of the best wine zones in Italy. Being off the main travel lines Soave is a great active vacation area for walking or biking.
Located at the foot of the Lessini Mountains and overlooks the valley where the river Tramigna flows. The enchanting Castle bordered by ancient wall and 24 towers is the symbol of the city. The tower stands as a testimony of ancient torture and imprisonment, but today it is a venue for events, festivals and historic events. From the castle you can enjoy a romantic landscape filled with gentle hills and vineyards. These landscapes that allow for leisurely walks are also filled with precious treasures of art and architecture, such as the Building of Justice with its loggia and the Scaliger Building, today's town hall. Passing the Building of Horses, tourists can not turn down a visit to the Church of San Giorgio. The ancient Cathedral often hosts concerts of sacred music, while the church of St. Mary of the Dominican fathers is now the City's Library.
Soave famous for its famous white wine. The garganega grapes of the vines that grow on the hills are used to make DOC and DOCG Soave and DOCG Recioto di Soave; these wines are very popular abroad. Wine Making traditions and historic events are celebrated together in May during the "Bianco di Soave Medieval Wine Fair".
Enter the walled city though Porta Verona and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. Taste some wine or just stroll the main street and have a pastry or cafe. Then go for a walk or bike ride in the hills around the city.
SOAVE WINE AREA IN THE PROVINCE OF VERONA, ITALY
The Soave wine area is perhaps the largest vineyard in Europe covering its 6,600 hectares on the hilly range in the eastern section of the province of Verona. It was the first area to obtain the D.O.C. designation in Italy in 1936. In more recent years, it was awarded two additional quality designations, the top quality for wine: Recioto di Soave D.O.C.G. and Soave Superiore D.O.C.G. The oldest areas of provenance are located on the hills between the municipalities of Monteforte d'Alpone and Soave and was defined in 1931; this is considered the theSoave "classica" area. The Colli Scaligeri is a sub-area and is traced from San Martino Buon Albergo to Roncà and includes the valleys of Val di Mezzane, Val d'Illasi, Val Tramigna and Val d'Alpone. The entire area has proved to be a perfect growing area for the Garganega grape for the maximum quality and taste.
Soave appears to derive from "Suaves", a name used to denominate the Suevic who settled in Italy under the rule of the Lombard King Alboin. The area was already known for its agricultural qualities in Roman times. It was a "pagus", a rural district contained within boundaries and perhaps divided into centurie (Roman allotments), renowned for its good locatio and the concentration of its cultivations. During the Middle Ages - when the Castle of Soave was built - wine-growing became increasingly important in this area.
As testimony of how wine entwines with the history of this area and how important the grape harvest was for the inhabitants of Soave in the fourteenth century, an engraving was made on a stone wall beneath the balcony of the Soave Court of Law, proudly claiming « This court of law was built seventy five years after the year one thousand and three hundred [...] when the people of the town pressed grapes with their feet ».
The D.O.C. wines are Soave, Soave classico, Soave spumante and Soave Colli Scaligeri.
Soave derives from a practised combination of Garganega grapes - at least 70% - with the Trebbiano di Soave, Chardonnay and Pinot bianco grapes, making up to 30% of the total. This blend makes for a straw yellow wine with some hints of green, an intense and delicate fragrance, and dry, medium-bodied, well-orchestrated and slightly bitter taste. Its geographical location and proximity to the main paths of communication to the south, and the historical and monumental importance of the territory, make Soave the third most important centre of interest in the Verona area, trailing only Verona and Lake Garda.
The Strada del Vino (Wine Road) connects vineyards and parish churches along an idyllic fifty kilometre itinerary, offering visitors beautiful landscapes and the chance to visit Roman churches, villas, castles and museums.
As well as the outstanding natural beauty of the rolling hills dotted with castles, villa and ancient rural churches, the winemaking culture offers a glimpse at the centuries-old traditions of the land, embodied best along the Soave wine route.
The three interconnecting valleys Illasi, Mezzane and d'Alpone have given rise to one of the most representative tastes of the Veneto, the Recioto and Soave wines. In your Verona holiday you can find one of the largest vine growing areas in Europe, with 6,600hectaresdedicated to the cultivation of the Garganega and Trebbiano grapes, the 'gold' of the gastronomy of Soave.
There are a total of 13 centres which devote their lives to winemaking on the hills, and each also houses its own magnificent monuments and charm. The eastern hills are one of the sources of pride of the Veneto Region, because they contain an atmosphere to be found only here; its food and wine are also unique.
Following the Soave wine route allows you to sample the food and wine, the hills, the natural beauty, each with its own particular flavour. The pleasures of the table combine with the enjoyment of nature, of history, culture and art, transforming one sinlge interest into an all-round and perfect vacation.
TERRA DEI FORTE WINE ZONE, VERONA PROVINCE
This area borders the provinces of Verona and Trento in the Valley of Adige, and counts 1,300 hectares of specialised vineyards, 20 wineries and 1,000 wine-growers, the majority of which are faithful to tradition, conveying sensations and emotions of bygone days to the present.
This overlooked valley sets between Veneto and Trentino extends along the banks of the Adige river, a valley shaped by quaternary glaciers and carved by the river that flows to the south from the Ceraino narrowing and opens up to the north between Mount Baldo and the Lessinia mountains, reaching the province of Trento. The area takes it name "Terre dei Forti" land of forts, for the 1800 fortifications built by Italy and the old Austria Hungarian Empire.
It encompasses the municipalities of Rivoli Veronese, Brentino Belluno, Dolcè and Avio, connected by the Adige river, and the rows of vineyards. Early evidence of wine growing in this area date to the first century A.D., when Pliny the Elder, visiting the Verona area, described the surroundings as«... labruscae: hoc est vitis silvestris quod vocatur oenanthium...», making reference to Enantio, one of the local red wines made with native grapes.
White wines belonging to this D.O.C. are:Terradeiforti Valdadige Chardonnay, Terradeiforti Valdadige Pinot grigioand Terradeiforti Valdadige passito from the Chardonnay grape. The D.O.C. red wines are:Terradeiforti Valdadige Casetta, Terradeiforti Valdadige Casetta riserva, Terradeiforti Valdadige Enantio, Terradeiforti Valdadige Enantio riservaandTerradeiforti Valdadige Enantio passito.
The Adige river was an important means of communication between central Europe and the Po-Veneto plain, and boosted the economy in the area, whilst respecting local traditions and culture.
The itineraries of the Strada del Vino(Wine Road), which connects to the Trentino Wine Road at Borghetto d'Avio and to the other Wine Roads of Verona at Rivoli Veronese, reveal the marks left by history and nature. The Ceraino narrowing is striking, especially seen from the small church of Gaium and protected by eight forts built in the mid nineteenth century by the Austrians and Italians. After visiting the Somàn shelter, a prehistoric refuge at the foot of the Lessini Mountains, the Road leads visitors to the ancient villages of Dolcè and Peri, before moving onto the former borders where the lion of Saint Mark of the Serenissima Republic of Venice comes face to face with the Austrian eagle of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. And then, there is Borghetto with its wonderful view of the medieval Castle of Sabbionara d'Avio, the Shrine of Madonna della Corona, erected on a peak overlooking Trentino, and, lastly, the hills of the moraine amphitheatre of Rivoli, known as the theatre for Napoleon's epic battle against the Austrians in 1797, remembered today by a monument commissioned by Napoleon himself, and a fascinating museum in the town centre dominated by the rounded silhouette of the fort.
TORRI DEL BENACO, VERONA PROVINCE
Nestling at the foot of Monte Baldo, along the shores of Lake Garda and surrounded by pine forests, olive and lemon groves, Torri del Benaco combines the charm of a medieval village with the liveliness of the modern tourist centre. The town is the point for the car ferry crossing, that takes you from the eastern shore over to the western shore.
This town is dominated by the enormous XIV century Scaliger Castel, which hosts an ethnographic Museum with interesting displays dedicated to prehistoric rock engravings, fishing, olive growing and the eighteenth-century lemon greenhouse.
There are numerous routes that can be covered by mountain bike. These paths amid hornbeam, hazel and oak trees lead into the hills and Mount Baldo. There are also tennis courts, jogging, horseback riding and golf. Torri del Benaco is a true paradise for sailing and windsurfing as well as a popular centre for SCUBA diving enthusiasts who can admire a fascinating underwater nativity scene during the Christmas season.
VALPOLICELLA WINE AREA IN THE PROVINCE OF VERONA, ITALY
The Valpolicella Valley is the geographical area comprising three valleys crossed by the Negrar, Marano and Fumane streams, which flow down from the Lessini mountains, into the Adige river. The Valpolicella area defined as "classica" is the oldest wine making area, having fertile soil in a lush full landscape once described as "the garden of Verona". The original centre was extended over time and today the Valpolicella area encompasses the hills near Verona that run from Sant'Ambrogio alla Valpantena to the valley of Cazzano di Tramigna, an abundant and charming area where vines grow alongside cherries and olive groves.
Ernest Hemingway defined the wine from Valpolicella as "light, dry, red and sweet, just like the home of an agreeable brother".
In the 5th century B.C., there were several references to Valpollicella as the "Retia", and the wine produced from its soil "Rético". Rètico was a wine made from dried grapes, referenced for its quality in classical works of literature by Virgil, Martial, Pliny the Elder and Columella. It would appear that passito wines or "recioti" were also described by Cassiodorus, secretary to the Ostrogothic King Theodoric (fifth century) who described it as "Acinatico". The grapes used to make the wines come from the Rondinella, Molinara and Corvina veronese vine variety, in percentages ranging from 20 to 40% for the Rondinella, from 5 to 25% for the Molinara and from 40 to 70% for Corvina. Other grapes such as the Negrara, Barbera and a few others are added at times in a percentage from 5 to 15%.
Wines included in this D.O.C designation are: Valpolicella, Valpolicella classico, Valpolicella superiore, Valpolicella classico superiore, Valpolicella Valpantena, Valpolicella Valpantena superiore, Recioto della Valpolicella, Recioto della Valpolicella classico, Recioto della Valpolicella spumante, Recioto della Valpolicella Valpantena, Recioto della Valpolicella Valpantena spumante, Amarone della Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella classico, Amarone della Valpolicella Valpantena and Amarone della Valpolicella riserva.
More recent modifications to the official guidelines state that the Valpolicella, Valpolicella classico, Valpolicella superiore, Valpolicella classico superiore, Valpolicella Valpantena and Valpolicella Valpantena superiore wines may be re-fermented from the skins left over from the preparation of Recioto wines from Valpolicella and/or Amarone della Valpolicella. These wines may use the addition designation of "ripasso".
Amarone has become very popular and is well appreciated around the globe, and is similar to Recioto. It is ruby red, tangy and dry, with bitter tones acquired after fermentation.
The Strada del Vino (Wine Road) proposes many itineraries through a number of towns, which are suitable for walking, riding bicycles or mountain-bikes. The Valpolicella spans captivating landscapes which, together with the vineyards, hid several enchanting and delightful attractions. Preserved in Valpolicella an unique history in monuments and buildings that can be fully appreciated even today, and that provide a perfect illustration of the passage of time in Romanic rural churches. Wonderful examples are the San Floriano and San Giorgio "Inganapoltron" churches, where recent excavations have uncovered the original structure of Roman temples.
Verona Airport is located southwest of Verona and handles around 3½ million passengers per year. It is linked to Porta Nuova railway station by a frequent bus service. There are direct flights between Verona and Rome Fiumicino, Munich, Berlin, Moscow, Naples, Frankfurt, Catania, Paris Charles De Gaulle, London Gatwick, Dublin, Palermo, Manchester, Vienna Schwechat, and Cagliari among others.
Verona Villafranca Airport , also known as Valerio Catullo Airport or simply Villafranca Airport is an airport located southwest of the city of Verona, Italy. The airport is situated at the junction of motorways A4 and A22. The airport serves a population of more than 4 million inhabitants in the provinces of Verona, Brescia, Mantua (Mantova) and Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol.
Verona-Villafranca Airport is equipped with a fog-dispersal device, which remains the best solution available in Italy and abroad to date, so that flight operations could continue during times of low visibility. This system has been in operation since 2003 and allows pilots to land in visibility as low as . The runway is certified for ILS Category IIIb approach. Terminal 1 is used solely for departures and Terminal 2 for arrivals.
Verona Airport Transport System
A shuttle bus service, "Aerobus" operated by ATV, connects Verona-Villafranca Airport directly with Verona Porta Nuova station. As of 2014, this Aerobus runs daily between 6 am and 11 pm and departs every 20 minutes. Journey time takes 20–25 minutes. link link Between March 2013 and December 2014, a direct shuttle bus service ran daily between Mantova railway station and Verona-Villafranca Airport, connecting the city with its closest international gateway. This service was provided by APAM. The journey took 45 minutes. This service ceased operation on 1 January 2015. link During the summer months (June to September), ATV (Verona) buses 164, 183 and 184 additionally provide hourly connections between Verona-Villafranca Airport and major communes along Lake Garda/Lago di Garda.
CITY OF VERONA, ITALY
Verona is a city sitting on both sides of the Adige river in the Veneto Region of northern Italy. The city of Verona has over 250,000 inhabitants and is the capital of one of the seven provinces (Verona Province) of the region. It is the second largest city municipality in the region and the third of northeast Italy. It is one of the main tourist destinations in northern Italy, owing to its artistic heritage, several annual fairs, shows, and operas, such as the lyrical season in the Arena, the ancient amphitheatre built by the Romans. Three of Shakespeare's plays are set in Verona: Romeo and Juliet, The Two Gentlemen of Verona, and The Taming of the Shrew. The city has been awarded World Heritage Site status by UNESCO because of its urban structure and architecture.
Roma from 49 AD, Verona became an important hub of Roman roads and a primary defensive outpost for the Empire. The rise to power of the Della Scala (or Scaleigeri) family, in 1262, marked the start of a new building hase, with the construction of Castelvecchio and new fortifications. As a result of the town's newfound prosperity, Piazza delle Erbe and the nearby Piazza dei Signori were laid out: the former the symbol and center fo commercial power, the latter of political power.
The Scaligeri were driven out by the Visconti (1387), who, in turn, were outsted by the Venetians in 1405. It was under the Venetians that generated a wave of artistic excellence. The first major changes came in the 18th century due to increasing friction between the local nobility and the Venetian overlords. After the French interlude from 1796 to 1814, a there was brief period of 'co-existence' with the Austrians from 1814 to 1866. It was during this time that the Habsburg rulers restored Verona's Defensive role: the city was encirled with massive set of fortifications. When Verona became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1860, its military role diminished and disappeared entirely in the 20th century. WWII casued serious damage tot he city's historical, artistic and monumental assets. In 1945, and again in the 1970'w, the administration embarked on an ambitious reconstruction plan.
CITY MAP OF VERONA ITALY
GETTING TO VERONA
You can reach Verona Porta Nuova station by train from Milan (1 hour and 22 min by EuroCity train (EC), 1 hour and 50 min by Regionale Veloce, from Venice (1 hour and 10 min by EuroCity ], 1 hour and 22 min by RegionaleVeloce (RV), 2 hours and 10 min by Regionale (R), from Bologna 49 min by TAV, 1 hour and 28 min by RegionaleVeloce (RV), or from Munich (5 hours and 30 min by EuroCity). Be aware that local trains (Regionali) also stop at a minor station, Verona Porta Vescovo.
WHAT TO SEE IN VERONA
- The Arena An enormous, spectacular Roman amphitheatre, crumbling on the outside but still functioning today
- Juliet's Balcony
- Roman amphitheatre - (Teatro Romano), across the river on the hill, in the north-east of the city.
- Castle Scaligeri
- Castelvecchio -A 14th-century, red brick, fortified castle on the banks of the river Aldige. The main castle buildings house the city art museum which is packed with a rich collection of medieval sculpture and Renaissance paintings. As well as the museum, the extensive castle ramparts are great for exploring - ideal for families with children who enjoy running around castle fortifications. The Castelvecchio has an adjoining bridge over the river which is open all the time - walk over the bridge for some fantastic views of the castle on the river.
- Piazza delle Erbe -Home of the Forum in Roman times this is still a focal point of the city. Contains the 'Britney Verona' fountain, 14th century 'Gardello Tower', and a market that, while picturesque, seems to have become another tourist cliche during its recent refurbishment.
- Lamberti's Tower - (Torre dei Lamberti) - completed in 1463, this is the tallest of Verona's towers. The unmistakable clock tower looms over the Piazza delle Erbe, and you enter via the palace courtyard. Although there are 238 steps to the top, there is a lift! Views from the top are breathtaking.
- Porta Borsari - The remains of a Roman gate, dates to at least the 2nd Century AD, but is almost certainly older.
- Giardino Giusti - One of Italy's most important renaissance gardens, with grottos, fire-breathing masks carved into the hillside etc.
- Verona Cathedral - (Duomo) was built to replace an 8th-century church which was destroyed in the earthquake of 1117.
- San Giorgetta - A tiny chapel immediately next to San'Anastasia. Easily overlooked, this church s richly decorated with early Renaissance frescoes depicting the walled garden of the Virgin Mary.
- Basilica of St Zeno - (San Zeno Maggiore), located slightly outside the centre.
- Piazza Bra
- Juliet's Tomb - at the Capuccin Church, which also houses the Antonian Fresco Museum.
- Ponte Pietra -bridge from the Roman times.
- Arco di Gavi
WHAT TO EAT IN VERONA
The Veronese are keen eaters of horse-meat (cavallo), a local speciality. Pastisada de caval, is a dish of braised horse meat, as is Picula de Caval. Pizza is not traditionally eaten locally, but pasta dishes feature widely on restaurant menus. Try Pizzocheri (buckwheat pasta with cheese and sage), casoncelli (a type of ravioli) or bigoli (thick spaghetti). Casoela is a pork casserole, and a bollito misto is a mixture of boiled meats, usually served with pearà, a local sauce then you can find only in Veneto.
Places to Eat
Al Carro Armato, Vicolo Gatto, 2, +39 045 803 0175 This is a charmingly atmospheric and good value restaurant and wine bar in the 'ancient canteen' style with shared tables and paper place mats. Food is authentically Veronan but unpretentious.
Cat Alley is not easy to find. Best to face the (nominal) west front of S. Anastasia on via Massalongo and then turn right towards v. Trotta. Vicolo Gatto is a few tens of yards down on the left. There is also an entrance on Via Massalongo itself. Opera goers should note the late opening times. Highly recommended, but it helps if you can speak Italian.
Al' Duomo, Via Duomo 7, tel: 045 800 4505. Excellent family-run restaurant, just next to the Cathedral ((as its name suggests). It's popular with the local Veronese (a good sign) and with a menu full of traditional local specialities.
Osteria Pigna, Via Pigna 4/b tel: 045 800 4080.Great restaurant with a truly authentic feel. Not far from the Duomo this restaurant offers an excellent service, and it is recognized as a great place to eat by the locals.
WHERE TO STAY IN VERONA
WHERE TO EAT IN THE VERONA PROVINCE
Where to eat in the Verona Province of Veneto Italy. Great Slow Food restaurants in the Verona Province to try during your next vacation.
Localita Carorsa, 7B
Tel – 045-7235039
Via Mama, 5
Tel – 045-7230110
Via Nascimbeni, 13
Tel – 045-7430319
Via Imbarcadero, 31
Tel – 045-74330702
Strada Villa, 32
No telephone number
Enoteca Della Valpolicella
Via Osan, 45
Tel – 045-6839146
Isola della Scala
Piazza Martiri della Libertà, 3
Tel – 045-7300236
Lungolago Marconi, 22
Tel – 045-7580254
Montecchia di Crosara
Via Pergola, 17
Tel – 045-6175387
San Zeno di Montagna
Via Castello, 14
Tel – 045-7285667
Via Battisti, 5
Tel – 045-7370222
Via Dietro Pallone, 1
Tel – 045-8004824
Via Trezzolano, 13
Tel – 045-988124
Vicolo Regina d’Ungheria, 5
Tel – 045-8030537
Pana e Vino
Via Garibaldi, 16 A
Tel – 045-8008261