• Home
  • Padova Province,

Abano Terme | Veneto Region

TOWN OF ABANO TERME IN THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA

Abano Terme Padova

Abano Terme, in the Padova Province, is located in the Northeastern section of the Euganean Hills just a few km from the city of PadovaOne tourist brochure I read said that the town is "considered" to be the worlds largest spa city, but I do not see how unless they are counting all the land area of the Padova as well. Abano is a hotel and tourist town, busy from May until Oct and a ghost town during the winter months. The city is working to make itself a year round destination, but it will still take some time to achieve.

The Abano Terme "Spa" area is centered on health not hot springs for a decedent living. Everything is therapeutic medicine and even the rhythm of the town and surrounding area runs on the treatment schedule. If you want a mud treatment, O2, thermal mineral water bath or 100 other types of service this takes place in the morning hours. Many treatments must be approved by a Doctor, but this is not always a rigid rule (we are in Italy remember). By lunch time the treatments are done, and everyone is having lunch before the tour buses start taking people to various located sites.

This holistic health center has been running since the Roman times, Pliny the Elder mentions the area in his reports to Roma. During the late 1700's when the Austrian-Hungarian Empire controlled much of Northern Italy,Abano Termewas a holiday spot for nobles of the Empire. Even today there is a strong Central European atmosphere with many restaurants offering Sud Tyrolean style menus.

Arquà Petrarca | Veneto Region

TOWN OF ARQUA PETRARCA IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

Arqua Petrarca

Why did Francesco Petrarch choose this village to spend his last years peacefully? Time seems to stand still in Arquà with narrow lanes, that climb the slopes of the hills, made of medieval palaces and villas celebrating the Venetian past. Arquà sits at the foot of the Castello and Ventolone hills of the Euganie, about 21 km from Padova.

Here everything honours the memory of Francesco Petrarch. His house retains its 14th century character (the small loggia with two arches was added in 1546) and contains a collection of works and objects that belonged to the poet laureate, while the square houses his tomb: a sarcophagus of red Verona marble. The church of S. Maria, built just after the year 1000, was expanded and embellished with paintings. Of particular interest is the painting by Palma il Giovane (Young Palma).

The Touring Club has awarded this spectacular medieval town the title of "Orange Flag" for the value of its historical and cultural resources that are widely available and well preserved.

But Arquà Petrarca is famous throughout the world for a curious fruit, the jujube, a sweet autumn fruit that comes from far away lands and has found an excellent habitat in the sunny slopes of the Euganean Hills. It is celebrated in the month of October during the Feast of the Jujube

In Piazza San Marco you can see the Holy Trinity oratory, a church that was dear to Petrarch, containing a seventeenth-century wooden altar and another altarpiece by Palma the Younger. The Loggia of the Vicari is adjacent to the church and is decorated with the crests of the noble Paduan rectors. A visit to the house in which Petrarch lived is a must for those who come to Arquà. The house is surrounded by a charming garden and still holds a series of historic relics and some of the Poet's works.

If you continue to stroll the streets of the town, you will see Villa Alessi, the current venue for concerts and events, Casa Strozzi, now an art gallery, and Villa Rova, a typical example of a Venetian villa of the 1400s. Villa Centanin hosts a permanent exhibition of antique pianos and is home to concerts, including a classical music festival.

Bagnoli o Bagnoli di Sopra D.O.C. Wine Zone

BAGNOLI DI SOPRA WINE ZONE IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

bagnoli-padova

For more than a thousand years, the history of this region, covering a delimited area in the south portion of the Padova Province of the Veneto Region, has been associated with the tradition of vines, grapes and wine.

The Benedictine monks had their seat in Bagnoli di Sopra from 964, and their work can be credited with extending the practice of wine-growing and defining its importance. This is why only the wine made in the municipality of Bagnoli di Sopra, the original and oldest D.O.C. area of provenance and a place where research activity continues, can be called "classico".

Grapevines cultivated in this production area grow on alluvial and sedimentary, mixed and lime soil. It is this soil which, together with the wide temperature range in summer attributable to the nearby Adige river, determines the strong aroma of the local grapes.

The D.O.C wines are: Bagnoli Bianco, Bagnoliclassico, Bagnoli spumante, Bagnolirosato (rosé), Bagnoliclassicorosato (rosé), Bagnoli spumanterosato (rosé), Bagnoli Rosso, Bagnoliclassico Rosso, Bagnoli Rossoriserva, Bagnoliclassico Rossoriserva, Bagnoli Cabernet, Bagnoliclassico Cabernet, Bagnoli Cabernetriserva, Bagnoliclassico Cabernetriserva, Bagnoli Merlot, Bagnoliclassico Merlot, Bagnoli Merlotriserva, Bagnoliclassico Merlotriserva, BagnoliFriularo, BagnoliclassicoFriularo, BagnoliFriularoriserva, BagnoliclassicoFriularoriserva, BagnoliFriularovendemmiatardiva (late-harvest), BagnoliclassicoFriularovendemmiatardiva (late-harvest), Bagnolipassito and Bagnoliclassicopassito.

The grape is also suitable for late harvest after Saint Martin's day (11th November), and dried. In honour of this wine, in existence as far back In particular, Friulano is a red wine produced from native vines of the same name belonging to the Raboso family. as the days of the Serenissima Republic of Venice, the road linking Padua to Bagnoli, through Conselve, was called Stradon del Vin Friularo.

This Road has been rediscovered and enhanced in recent years and is now an idyllic route for nature lovers winding through the tranquil, green countryside. Visitors to the area can admire works by great masters like Tintoretto in Conselve, Tiepolo inCartura, Bonazza in Bagnoli and inCandiana to name but a few; villas of the aristocracy, such as Villa Widmann designed by Baldassarre Longhena and Villa Garzoni by Jacopo Sansovino; churches and monasteries, castles and old "casoni" (humble thatched cottages). Lastly, the Benedictine Courts are admired for their architectural uniqueness and beauty, as well as their great contribution to local grape-growing over the span of centuries.

The road is easily reached by bicycle from the Euganei hills or the main train line from Padova to Bologna.· The best way to explore is on a bike but if you are a walker and understand the bus system there are some wonderful walks to enjoy.  Bring your bird identification book because being near the sea and the Delta of the Po there are a wide variety of birds along the canals.

Battaglia Terme | Veneto Region

TOWN OF BATTAGLIA TERME IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

Battaglia Terme sits along the Battaglia canal that was main commercial route for good and people to the sea ports near Chioggia. There is still a medieval town center and picturesque bridges over the Venetian style canal. An interesting stop is the Museo della Navigazione Fluviale and see the way of life and old ferry equipment, much of it very similar to what was utilized along the canals dug in the United States a few hundred years later.

There are several monuments and artistic treasures to visit; the San Giacomo Parish Church, the 135 steps that lead up to the XVII century villa Selvatico-Sartori with its frescos by Luca Ferrari da Reggio, and an English style garden designed by Giuseppe Jappelli (also famous for building the historic Caffe Pedrocchi in Padua. Just outside the town is the Catajo Castle with over 350 rooms.

Bike Touring The Anello dei Colli Euganei Route

BIKE TOURING AROUND THE COLLI EUGANEI | ANELLO DEI COLLI EUGANEI

anello eugenia bike

From Padua, the Euganean Hills stand out on the horizon with undulating lines in a surprising variety of forms; conical silhouettes atop gently rolling hills.  With this excursion you can take a complete tour around the hills to discover the natural, artistic, and historical heritage of the Euganean Hills regional Park.

  • Distance: 63 km
  • Route: bike path and secondary roads, one uphill section
  • Start/Finish: Train Stations at Abano and Monsilice.
  • Type of Path: mostly paved, some non paved sections
  • Best Time of Year: March through October
  • Special Notes:  You must get off the path to really explore the area.

anello eugenia bike 1

anello eugenia bike 2

anello eugenia bike 3

Bike Touring the Padova Province of Italy

BIKE TOURING THE PADOVA PROVINCE | VENETO REGION

parco dei colli veduta

The Padova Province developed several marked and sign posted bike paths and routes. The city information center has some handouts of suggested routes. There, are some good routes suggested but the information is not always the best route for a visitor and most routes tend to be away from what you wish to see. That being said, there are plenty of great things to explore in the area and Padova and many of its walled cities and villas should be on your ride list when in the Veneto Region.

bike tour padova booklet

SIGN POSTED BIKE ROUTES IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

The Map below shows the better riding in the Padova province.

Bike Touring Italy, Padova Province

GREAT PLACES TO RIDE IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

Colli Euganei: These volcanic hills offer several bike routes to enjoy. Located just south of Padova and along the main train line, these hills make a great day trip.
Cittadella: Walled city to ride to just north of Padova, a great stop over on your way toward Bassano del Grappa.
Monsèlice to Chiaggo: Riding from Padova or Monsèlice toward Chiaggo there are a couple of interesting points to visit, including a few bicycle factories south of Piove di Sacco.
Montagnana: Great walled city to ride to from Monsèlice via Este of lower across the plains.

 

Cittadella | Veneto Region

 TOWN OF CITTADELLA IN THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA

Cittadella, Padova Italy

The town of a wonderful circle of walls was founded in the year 1220 upon order of the Commune of Padua. Since then, the most typical traits of this little town have been exactly its exceptional ring of walls and its strategic position within the territory of Padua. The presence of man in the area where Cittadella was later founded is documented since the Bonze Age; during the Roman Empire the area was part of an important countryside centuriation where the maximum decumanus (i.e. the main road) was via Postumia, traced in 148 B.C.

Since the 11th century various rural squires had established their rule over tiny villages that were built around parish churches as the Church of S. Donato, or abbeys as S. Lucia di Brenta.
In the Middle Ages, immediately after its foundation Cittadella was to Padua a base wherefrom the Commune could oppose the power of the local, rural squires as the feudal aristocrats of Onara and Fontaniva.

Conquered by Ezzelino da Romano for a short period, in the second half of the 1200s it played a strategic role for the surrounding territory and it flourished enormously. In 1236 Padua allowed the town to pass its own Charters and Statutes. In 1318 Cittadella passed under the rule of Cangrande della Scala. Then it returned under Padua, then ruled by the Da Carrara lords. In the Fourteenth century the role of Cittadella grew further and the jurisdiction of its Podesta expanded.

In 1405 Cittadella surrendered spontaneously to Venice, therefore it was allowed to keep its own Charters and Statutes. In 1483 Venice gifted Roberto Sanseverino with Cittadella; his heirs kept it until 1499 while for one year, from 1503 to 1504, it was passed on to Pandolfo Malatesta as agreed upon between Pandolfo and the Republic of Venice.

The year 1508 sees the creation of the League of Cambrai against Venice. Malatesta, the lord of Cittadella, sided with the enemy: the town was attacked several times and pillaged by Imperial troops. Venetian peace was restored in 1516 only.

After these stormy events, Cittadella lived three centuries of peace until 1797, when Napoleonic troops seized all the territory that belonged to the Republic of Venice. Cittadella became then part of the Bacchiglione department and, for some time, was even placed under the local government of Venice. In 1814 Cittadella, too, experienced the Austrian domination that ended in 1866, the year of its annexation to the Kingdom of Italy.

How to Get To Cittadella:

Cittadella is located in the Padova Province of the Veneto. It is 38 km from Padova and 25 km from Vicenza, and there is a train station just outside the city walls. You can also use a city bus from Padova to arrive to the town.

WHAT TO SEE IN CITTADELLA

The Church of Santa Maria del Torresino, which has been recently restored and reopened for worship, and the Praetorian Building, a delightful manor house with a Verona red marble door and currently home to exhibitions, are also worth visiting. The Duomo has numerous pieces of art while the Building della Loggia (Building of the Loggia) and the Teatro Sociale (Social Theatre) have become symbols of the city.

Visitors should also visit the Convent of San Francesco, built in 1481 and characterized by a bright cloister and the delightful Little Church of Santa Lucia di Brenta that belonged to a Benedictine monastery dating back to 1100.

Corti Benedettine del Padovano D.O.C. Wine Zone

CORTI BENEDETTINE WINE ZONE IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

The Corti Benedettine del Padovano area, awarded the D.O.C designation in 2004, extends to the southeast of the province of Padua and the south of the province of Venice. The designation does not, however, define a specific geographical area as much as marks an important historical period in terms of the social and economic development of this part of the Veneto plain.

Wine-growing and wine-making go back to the days of Antenor who, according to a legend, is the mythical Trojan hero who founded the city of Padua and first cultivated a magic plant, that he had jealously brought back from the ancient lands of Asia.

The earliest written evidence of wine growing in the area dates to Roman times during the era of the second Republic. Most of the wine cultivation that was occurring in the specific area has been attributed mostly to the Benedictine groups, who also became the owners of large land areas for almost 1000 years. These religious groups oversaw the administration, economic, and social development of large states which appeared land for cultivation, created embankments along the rivers, and constructed rule buildings. It was a wine that was produced and stored the sellers of the Courts and became a major commodity to exchange with the city states of Padova and Venice.

Venice trade records show that these wines·were especially popular and enjoyed·popular trade value throughout many Mediterranean ports. Centuries of experience had gained vineyards and wineries a good name for quality, in this part of Veneto where, together with the historical and native grapevines, such as Raboso, Refosco, Tocai and Moscatogiallo, wine-growers also produced the so called 'international wines' that thrive in the excellent local climate and soil conditions: Merlot, Cabernet, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Pinot grigio and Pinotbianco. Many of these wines are to be enjoyed young, appreciated for their fresh taste accompanied by intense floral notes, whilst others require medium or long periods of ageing, underscoring their bouquet and offering the palate greater complexity and an elegant structure, along with superior contours.

White wines included in the D.O.C. are:CortiBenedettine del Padovano Bianco, CortiBenedettine del Padovano Chardonnay (also in sparkling and spumante versions), CortiBenedettine del Padovano Pinotbianco, CortiBenedettine del Padovano Pinot grigio, CortiBenedettine del Padovano Sauvignon, CortiBenedettine del Padovano Tai, CortiBenedettine del Padovano Moscato spumante and CortiBenedettine del Padovanopassito from Moscatogiallo.

Red wines of the D.O.C. are:Corti Benedettine del Padovano Rosso, Corti Benedettine del Padovano rosato (rosé), Corti Benedettine del Padovano novello, Corti Benedettine del Padovano Cabernet, Corti Benedettine del Padovano Cabernet riserva, Corti Benedettine del Padovano Cabernet Sauvignon, Corti Benedettine del Padovano Merlot, Corti Benedettine del Padovano Raboso, Corti Benedettine del Padovano Raboso riserva, Corti Benedettine del Padovano Raboso passito, Corti Benedettine del Padovano Refosco dal peduncolo rosso and Corti Benedettine del Padovano Refosco dal peduncolo rosso riserva.

Visitors to the area have the chance to see medieval monasteries and courts, some of which are today used as villas or residences. Piove di Sacco offers the beauty of the Monastery of Saints Vitus and Modestus, which was already existing in 1100, while Legnaro and Correzzola each have an important Benedictine Court. In Bagnoli, Villa Widmann still shows the ancient structure of the monastery built after the city was donated to Benedictine monks in 954.

Da Carrara Family of Padova

HISTORY OF DA CARRARA FAMILY OF PADUA

The Carraresi (or da Carrara) were an important family of northern Italy in the period 12th-15th centuries. As signori of Padua, their overwhelming power and patronage placed them in an isolated position far outshining any other single family. Their extensive land holdings in the Paduan contado were supplemented by extensive property within the comune itself, and their political prominence made them comparable to the Scaligeri of contemporary Verona, or the Visconti of Milan.

Francesco il Vecchio, son of Giacomo, a close friend of Petrarch in his early years, was a noted patron of Petrarch himself and commissioned frescoes (destroyed) illustrating Petrarch's De viris illustribus in the palazzo, ca 1367-79, employing Guariento and others. Petrarch's retirement years were spent at Arquà, a Carrara fief, and he bequeathed to Francesco his picture of the Virgin by Giotto. Coming from Carrara Santo Stefano, near Padua, the family had their origin in a certain Gamberto/Gumberto, of Lombard origin, to judge from his name and that of his son Luitolfo, founder of the abbey of Carrara in 1027; Gumberto was signore of castrum Carrariae, the Castello of Carrara San Giorgio.

Due Faithful to the Emperors generation after generation, after becoming lords of Pernumia, in 1338 they ousted the Veronese della Scala from Padua and became the lords of that city. In 1388 a coalition of Milanese and Venetian forced Francesco il Vecchio to abdicate in favor of his son. The Venetians invested Padua as Venetian territory in 1405. The elder Cararrese line was extinguished with the murders of Francesco Novello da Carrara and all his sons but Marsilio and bishop Stefano in a Venetian prison in 1406; Marsilio died soon after, and Stefano fled to Rome, where he lived until 1448; all Paduan bishops to the end of the Venetian Republic (1797), with two exceptions, were Venetian nobles.

The Baptistery at Padua, which was under Carrarese patronage and served as their mortuary chapels, reverted to the bishop and the cathedral chapter; its Carrarese tombs were removed when the floor level was raised.Saalman 1987:384ff. Part of their palace in Padua is still standing. Notable parts are the Loggia and the Sala dei Giganti. They erected the important Abbazia di Santo Stefano abbey in the locality Carrara Santo Stefano, between the modern Due Carrare and Padua. The abbey's church, dedicated to Saint Stephen, is still standing today and contains, among others, the tomb of Marsilio da Carrara. In the 15th century the Carraresi were represented in the cadet male line of the two descended from 13th-century brothers Marsilio (the elder) and Jacopino (the younger). Theimprese of the family coat of arms is a four-wheeled cart (carro), and the family colors are red and white, in a checkerboard arrangement.

Este | Veneto Region

TOWN OF ESTE IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

The town of Este, Italy

In the suggestive landscape of the Euganean hills, Este was the main settlement of the ancient Veneti who lived here during the Iron Age. The city was at one time a major fortified city of the region, and it still has traces of the Este and Da Carrare families, who were rulers of this area. The town sites in the Province of Padova and is about 33 kms south of the city of Padova, on the southern point of the Euganei Hills

Today, the walls that once protected the city are home to a lovely public garden and 'The National Atestino Museum' is housed in the adjacent Mocenigo Building, one of the most important in Italy for its pre-Roman collections. You can visit the ruins of the old Tower Bridge Fortress that was designed to defend the city in during early medieval times, while the Civic Tower of the Old Port was rebuilt around 1500.

The almost four centuries of Venetian rule can be seen in the beautiful buildings of the central Piazza (including the Town Hall, an elegant open gallery building, and the Scaliger family Building from the fourteenth century) and the beautiful villas. Among the many religious buildings, there is the Duomo of Saint Tecla that houses the mortal remains of Beatrice d'Este and the great altarpiece by Tiepolo that depicts Saint Tecla. The Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie with its peculiar Latin cross plan and the church of Santa Maria della Consolazione, structured on a single nave and with a mosaic floor from the Roman period are worth visiting.

The town of Este was named after the Adige river, or Athesis in Latin, which ran in this territory until the year 589 when a devastating flood changed its course to a few kilometres southward.

The conquest of the Veneto by the Romans was a peaceful, the people of the Veneto joined forces with the Romans against the Gauls, and Este became a Roman colony. Este proved able to preserve its administrative independence until the end of the Roman Republic, while the centralization of the political power in the Roman Empire prevented the continuation of past magistratures. After the collapse of the Roman Empire, the town of Este was wrecked by Attila's troops and came to a mere rural village.

The town rose again after the 10th century, when its feudal lord Azzo, who later became Azzo II d'Este, built a castle there. The Lords of Este, having received the title of marquis, initiated one of the most important Italian dynasties and moved their capital city to Ferrara (1239).

Conquered twice by Ezzelino da Romano, who had its castle pulled down (in 1238 and 1249), in the 14th century Este was disputed by the della Scala, the da Carrara and the Visconti Houses until it surrendered spontaneously to Venice in 1405. This marked the beginning of a long period of peace. Under the rule of Venice Este experienced a period of economic and demographic growth, which was unfortunately interrupted by the tragic plague of 1630.

The administrative reorganization by Napoleon and the rise of the middle class gave new thrust to the town governors, who promoted various initiatives of great interest as the establishment of the museum called Museo Nazionale Atestino and the opening of public schools. The development of Este continued also after it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy, in 1866.

WHAT TO SEE IN ESTE

  • Porte di Torre
  • Porta Vecchia
  • Town Hall
  • Palazzetto of the Scaligeri
  • Prince's Palace
  • Abbey Cathedral of Santa Tecla
  • Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie
  • National Museum of Este

Today the town of Este is an important center of production of high-quality art pottery. Ceramic  production has been continuous in this area, almost without interruption, from prehistorical times to the present.

 

Food and Wine in the Padova Province

FOOD AND WINE IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE OF THE VENETO REGION

Paduan cuisine combines its high-quality ingredients with its traditionaL and simple recipes, enhanced by grand chefs.  The generosity of this land is particularly evidence by the variety of local specialties. Rice is one of the main ingredients, and it is cooked in a variety of different ways: with peas (risi e bisi), radicchio, asparagus or bruscandoli (hop sprouts). 
Famous first courses include pasta e fagioli (pasta and beans), a variety of hen soups (minestra marida) and bìgoli, a type of fat spaghetti. Squid ink often serves as a pasta sauce.

Where to Eat in the Padova Province

Euganei Hills Wine, Padova Province Italy

Bagnoli o Bagnoli di Sopra D.O.C. Wine Zone

Corti Benedettine del Padovano D.O.C. Wine Zone

 

Galzignano Terme | Veneto Region

TOWN OF GALZIGNANO TERME IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

Galzignano Terme, in the Province of Padova, Veneto Region Italy, a small village in the valley west of Battaglia, and off the main north to south transportation link between Padova and Bologna. It is easy to see why many noble families selected the area to built some wonderful homes.  Benacchio, Rizzoli, Sagginin, and the Bofian families all built homes here and they all have played a role in the development of the Veneto Region. The valley still has a quiet and specialatmosphere, there are a few hotel spa's to select from and this is a good base area for exploring the hills and surrounding area.

Things to see:

  • Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta
  • Giardino di Villa Barbarigo
  • Orto Botanico di villa Marina
  • Ruderi del Monastero di Santa Maria Annunziata
  • villa Barbarigo

Galzignao Terme is a perfect quick stop for a cafe or snack if you are bike riding or hiking in the area.   

Hiking in the Euganean Hills

HIKING THE EUGANEI HILLS | ITALY

colli eugenia hiking trails

HIKING TRAILS IN THE EUGANEAN HILLS

N.1 - THE ALTA VIA

N. 2 - CENTRAL EUGANEAN HILLS (printed brochure unavailable)

N. 3 - ATESTINO TRAIL

N. 4 - G.G. LORENZONI TRAIL ON MOUNT VENDA

N. 5 - MOUNT LOZZO TRAIL

N. 6 - MOUNT RICCO AND MOUNT CASTELLO TRAIL

N. 7 - MOUNT CALBARINA AND MOUNT PICCOLO TRAIL

N. 8 - MOUNT CECILIA TRAIL

N. 9 - MOUNT VENDA TRAIL (a trail with a stretch designed for those with impaired motor skills)

N. 10 - MOUNT GALLO, MONTE DELLE GROTTE, MONTE DELLE BASSE TRAIL

N. 11 - MOUNT CINTO TRAIL

N. 12 - MOUNT FASOLO TRAIL

N. 13 Unlisted trail

N. 14 - MOUNT GRANDE TRAIL

N. 15 - 'HORSESHOE’ TRAIL

N. 16 - MOUNT ROSSO TRAIL

N. 17 - MONTE DELLA MADONNA TRAIL

History of Padova After the Fall of the Roman Empire

HISTORY PADOVA PROVINCE| FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

The history of Padua after the fall of the Roman Empire follows the course of events common to most cities of north-eastern Italy. Padua suffered severely from the invasion of the Huns under Attila (452). It then passed under the Gothic kings Odoacer and Theodoric the Great. However during the Gothic War it was reconquered by the Byzantine Empire in 540. The city was seized again by the Goths under Totila, but was restored to the Eastern Empire by Narses in 568. Then it fell under the control of the Lombards. In 601, the city rose in revolt, against Agilulf, the Lombard king.

After suffering a 12-year-long and bloody siege, it was stormed and burned by him. The antiquity of Padua was seriously damaged: the remains of an amphitheatre (the Arena) and some bridge foundations are all that remain of Roman Padua today. The townspeople fled to the hills and returned to eke out a living among the ruins; the ruling class abandoned the city for the Venetian Lagoon, according to a chronicle. The city did not easily recover from this blow, and Padua was still weak when the Franks succeeded the Lombards as masters of northern Italy.

At the Diet of Aix-la-Chapelle (828), the duchy and march of Friuli, in which Padua lay, was divided into four counties, one of which took its title from the city of Padua. The end of the early Middle Ages at Padua was marked by the sack of the city by the Magyars in 899. It was many years before Padua recovered from this ravage. During the period of episcopal supremacy over the cities of northern Italy, Padua does not appear to have been either very important or very active. The general tendency of its policy throughout the war of investitures was Imperial and not Roman; and its bishops were, for the most part, Germans.

History of Padova in the Middle Ages

HISTORY OF PADUA | MIDDLE AGES

Under the surface, several important movements were taking place that were to prove formative for the later development of Padua. At the beginning of the 11th century the citizens established a constitution, composed of a general council or legislative assembly and a credenza or executive body. During the next century they were engaged in wars with Venice and Vicenza for the right of water-way on the Bacchiglione and the Brenta. This meant that the city grew in power and self-reliance.

The great families of Camposampiero, Este and Da Romano began to emerge and to divide the Paduan district among themselves. The citizens, in order to protect their liberties, were obliged to elect a podestà. Their choice first fell on one of the Este family. A fire devastated Padua in 1174. This required the virtual rebuilding of the city. ]] The temporary success of the Lombard League helped to strengthen the towns. However their civic jealousy soon reduced them to weakness again. As a result, in 1236 Frederick II found little difficulty in establishing his vicar

Ezzelino III da Romano in Padua and the neighbouring cities, where he practised frightful cruelties on the inhabitants. Ezzelino was unseated in June 1256 without civilian bloodshed, thanks to Pope Alexander IV. Padua then enjoyed a period of calm and prosperity: the basilica of the saint was begun; and the Paduans became masters of Vicenza. The University of Padua (the second university in Italy, after Bologna) was founded in 1222, and as it flourished in the 13th century, Padua outpaced Bologna, where no effort had been made to expand the revival of classical precedents beyond the field of jurisprudence, to become a center of early humanist researches.

However the advances of Padua in the 13th century finally brought the commune into conflict with Can Grande della Scala, lord of Verona. In 1311 Padua had to yield to Verona. Jacopo da Carrara was elected lord of Padua in 1318, at that point the city was home to 40,000 people. From then till 1405, nine members of the moderately enlightened Carraresi family succeeded one another as lords of the city, with the exception of a brief period of Scaligeri overlordship between 1328 and 1337 and two years (1388–1390) when Giangaleazzo Visconti held the town.

The Carraresi period was a long period of restlessness, for the Carraresi were constantly at war. Under Carrarese rule the early humanist circles in the university were effectively disbanded: Albertino Mussato, the first modern poet laureate, died in exile at Chiogga in 1329, and the eventual heir of the Paduan tradition was the Tuscan Petrarch.Weiss 1973:21. In 1387 John Hawkwood won the Battle of Castagnaro for Padua, against Giovanni Ordelaffi, for Verona. The Carraresi period finally came to an end as the power of the Visconti and of Venice grew in importance.

History of Padova Under the Republic of Venice

HISTORY OF THE PADOVA PROVINCE | REPUBLIC OF VENEZIA

Padua passed under Venetian rule in 1405, and so mostly remained until the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797. There was just a brief period when the city changed hands (in 1509) during the wars of the League of Cambrai. On 10 December 1508, representatives of the Papacy, France, the Holy Roman Empire, and Ferdinand I of Spain concluded the League of Cambrai against the Republic. The agreement provided for the complete dismemberment of Venice's territory in Italy and for its partition among the signatories: Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I of the Habsburg, was to receive Padua in addition to Verona and other territories. In 1509 Padua was taken for just a few weeks by Imperial supporters. Venetian troops quickly recovered it and successfully defended Padua during siege by Imperial troops. ( Siege of Padua).

The city was governed by two Venetian nobles, a podestà for civil and a captain for military affairs. Each was elected for sixteen months. Under these governors, the great and small councils continued to discharge municipal business and to administer the Paduan law, contained in the statutes of 1276 and 1362. The treasury was managed by two chamberlains; and every five years the Paduans sent one of their nobles to reside as nuncio in Venice, and to watch the interests of his native town. Venice fortified Padua with new walls, built between 1507 and 1544, with a series of monumental gates.

History of the Euganean Hills Padova Italy

HISTORY OF PADOVA | EUGANEAN HILLS

The first traces of settlements related to the Palaeolithic (200.000-10.000 years ago) involve the plains of half of the Hills western coast area, sheltered from cold draughts and exposed to the sun for the most part of the day. During this phase the man completely depended on the natural environment.Small family units led in this place an outdoor nomadic life, sheltered under rocks or in caves, committed first of all to satisfy their primary needs, and so closely connected to the presence of animals to be hunted, abundance of natural fruit and easily accessible water resources.

More significant archaeological traces with a great scientific value can be related to the Neolithic (4.500-3.500 b.C. approx.), near sites such as Le Basse of Valcalaona, settlement on the slopes of the western side of the Hills, and Castelnuovo of Teolo, one of the most important Neolithic sites of Veneto, located in a strategic position, open to the plain and sheltered on the south by a sheer rock face. Knowledges and abilities developed by the Neolithic man allow him to deep into the rhythms of nature dominating some of its aspects, changing from a subsistence economy into a productive economy. The man discovers to be a farmer and a breeder and for this reason he organizes his life in permanent villages, which left traces barely visible to the profane eyes and that can only be interpreted by experts. Worked stone, bone and horn tools, and ceramic pot fragments are all that remains of these first inhabitants settled on the Hills.

The panorama offered during the Bronze Age (2300-900 b.C. approx.) is very rich, this is an age which suffers the consequences of a big climatic change, characterized by a very dry heat. Maybe this also is the reason why the settlement basically prefers the humid and lower areas inside the valleys and the shores of the lake-marshy stretches, in which pile-dwelling settlements, such as that of the Little Lake of the Arquà Coast, on the south-eastern side of the Hills, develop.

The Iron Age (900-200 b.C.) sees the hill slopes almost completely depopulated in favour of the plain, in which a substantial settlement organized in big centres related to the ancient Venetian civilization. This age is in fact superbly shown in Este, site of primary importance, crossed at that time by the river Adige which was the main trade exchange artery. In this site, the ruins of the inhabited centre, consisting of wooden and clay houses, surrounded by a series of necropolis and sacred areas, has been discovered. The most representative handmade products of the ancient culture in Veneto are preserved in theAtestino National Museum and particularly interesting are those coming from the equipment of the rich graves of representatives of the most well off families, since relationships with other contemporary cultural realities, such as for example the Etruscans, the Greeks and the north alpine populations, are evidenced. Then as now, whatever direction the traveller took, it was possible to identify the unmistakable shape of these hills formed millions years ago.

The Euganei Hills, from its origin, have been an essential component of the Venetian landscape, as we can also read in the pages of the ancient historians. First among all is the Paduan Tito Livio, who in his tale lets the Spartans of Cleonimo, sent scouting in that area after the landing on the Adriatic coasts, glimpse in the distance the typical reliefs. The slow integration process which followed the first contacts of the Venetians with the Romans during the last two centuries of the first millennium b.C., led to a complete change in the settlement methods: stone driveways, public and private monumental buildings, centurion of the fields. Centres such as Ateste (Este) and Montesilicis (Monselice) still preserve important traces of this past, while particularly interesting is now the thermal field. Already exploited during the Iron age and appreciated by the roman emperors, it is well represented through the ruins of structures visible in Abano and Montegrotto, where the archaeological excavations, carried out by the University of Padua in collaboration with the Superintendency of Veneto are still in progress. After a limited period of neglect and following the fall of the Roman Empire, we can identify in this territory the last bulwark which opposed to the barbarian invasions: the castrum Montis Silicis, Monselice, a stronghold positioned on the boundary between the byzantine exarchate and the longobardic territory, which, before its fall in 602 a.C. strenuously opposed to the Paduan territory conquest by the king Agilulfo.

An event not less important is the "breach at Cucca" (589 a.C.), the diluvium recalled by Paolo Diacono, a catastrophic flood as a consequence of which the northern branch of the river Adige, that surrounded the euganean territory, became unusable. During this period of general crisis, the sparse population of the Hills matches with the increase of the lands retaken by woods and wild animals, and with the lands which were mostly left uncultivated or to turn into a swamp.

Through the Renaissance of the eleventh century a new chapter of the settlement on the Hills started: deforestations and important land reclamation operations are carried out, in particular, the Abbey of Praglia and the Abbey of Carceri, the Hermitage of Mount Rua (1339) and the Monastery of the Olivetani, whose suggestive ruins are still visible today, are built by the Benedictine monks. Splendid villages rise in this period such as for example Arquà Petrarca, which has been elected residence by the great Poet during his last years, together with the castles and fortifications located on higher places. This is also the period in which the handicraft activities discover a new life and we can find traces of the activity of tavern-keepers, blacksmiths, weavers, tailors as well as judges and notaries.

To the dominion of the Carraresi, that of the Venetian Republic succeeds in the XV century. The families of the Venetian nobility place their sumptuous residences on the Hills and buy most part of the lands; they increase the extraction of trachyte for building purposes and create a network of canals which are still navigable. Between the XVI and the XVIII century the panorama of the stately residences, which also allows numbering designs by Andrea Palladio, enhances thanks to the marvelous work of artists such as Falconetto. Among the less well known architectonic jewels, in Valnogaredo we can mention Villa Contarini Piva, built in the XVI century and renovated in the XVIII century, which preserves frescoes by J. Guarana. Furthermore, think about the Catajo, in Battaglia Terme, very original design which blends the characteristics of the castle Villa with the fortress, full of frescoes decorating its interiors.

An admirable example of baroque architecture, that always amazes us, is Villa Barbarigo in Valsanzibio, with its marvelous Italian gardens. So, it is clear that the Euganean Hills provided through the centuries a unique example of settlement continuity which sees in the particular approach established between man and nature, a mutual exchange which never brought the first to corrupt the last one, even transforming it, sometimes, in a very invasive way.

Monselice | Veneto Region

TOWN OF MONSELICE IN THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA

Monselice, Padova Italy

Monselice is a small town sitting the lovely Eugenia Hills, about 24 km south of Padova.  The lower part of the town hosts the remains  of a medieval settlement that extended up to the Rocca (Fort), on the hill.  Today, Monselice is a lively crossroads town between the local farming and industrial areas. 

During Roman times, the small coned hills were known as Mons Silici (hill of Flint).  On the eastern side of the hill is a trachyte quarry which once supplied the sone to pave St Mark's Square in Venice.

Its In 602 the Byzantine Castrum fell to the hands of the Lombard king, Agilulf, as reported by Paolo diacono in his  Historia Longobardorum, the first written account of the area. Previously a neo-Aeneolithic (fourth-third millennium BC), Bronze Age (second millennium BC) and Roman settlement, under the Lombards and Franks, Monselice was a major  military stronghold and administrative center controlling a vast territory including the Adige river and the euganean Hills (Colli Euganei).

It became a free city-state in the mid-12th century and in 1237 was taken by Ezzelino III da Romano, deputy of Emperor Frederick II of Swabia for the area around Venice. The Tyrant Ezzelino ordered extensive fortification works and used this area as his base from which to wage violent military campaigns against Padua, Este and nearby castles.

It was conquered in 1338 by the da Carrara noble family of Padua and, following an enervating siege lasting a full year, in 1405  it became part of the Serenissima Republic. The long and prosperous Venetian period saw the gradual  decline of its military role and the flowering of local agriculture, industry ( quarrying and spinning) and commerce, thanks to extensive waterway transport. Stone quarrying in the hill of the Rocca and Mount Ricco marked the industrial growth of the town which reached its height in the 1700s. In 1722, a large load of trachyte from Monselice was used to pave Piazza San Marco in Venice.

monselice city map

WHAT TO SEE IN MONSELICE

  • Piazza Mazzini
  • Chiesa di San Paolo
  • Antiquarium Longobardo
  • Villa Nani-Mocenigo
  • Villa along the Bisatto Canal
  • Monte Ricco

WHERE TO SLEEP IN MONSELICE

  • Cefri, via Orti 7/B, tel 041904595

WHERE TO EAT IN MONSELICE

  • La Torre, Piazza Mazzini 14, tel 042973752

Monselice sector | climbing area Vicenza Province

MONSELICE ROCK CLIMBING AREA | PADOVA

The Monselice sector is sitted in an old mine cave near the town of Monselice. The wall consists in 47 routes from level 5c to 7c, but most of the climbs are about 6a/b.

Please remember to respect the area and buy a local guide book.

Monselice Climbing Guide

REGION Veneto
PROVINCE Padova
GEOGRAPHY Euganei Hills
BEST TIME OF YEAR
winter
ROCK limestone
NUMBER OF ROUTES
47
RANGE OF GRADES
from 5 to 7c
HEIGHT 25m

routes

From right to left

Verde mare 1 6b
Verde mare 2 6c
Coming Going 6a+
Big Wall 6a
Via Cechetto 6a
Var. Carpentiere 6a
Via Craxi 6a+
Quarto di luna 6b+
Digo so on bast 6a+
Dinonia 6a
Bibi 6a
Biba 6a
Bibo 6a+
Kao Kao 6b+
Eppur ti amo 6b
Via del Puffo 6b+
Psicho 6b
Diretta del Gracchio 1 6a
Diretta del Gracchio 2 6a
Assicurazioni generali 5+
Paradam 6b
Tzigana 7a+
Sbrissa sbrissa 6b
Eclissi di gioia 6b
Eclissi di sole 6a+
Provaci Sam 7b
Provaci ancora Sam 7b
prova anche questa Sam  
Senza nome 5c
Sturm und Drang 6b
Street of fire 7a
Repetita juvant 6b+
Matti da slegare 6a
La rotta del rum 7c
Mordi la vita 7a
Giù la testa  
Tour de force  
Rapsodia dell'ape 6b
Angela 6a
Nuova Candy 6a
Deja vu' 7a
Torna un sogno 6b+
Via delle luci della città 7c
Senza nome 5c
Cercando un altro Egitto 5
Via dei tre tiri 6a

Montagnana | Veneto Region

TOWN OF MONTAGNANA IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

Montagnana, Padova

Montagnana is one of the most beautiful walled cities in Italy. The medieval city walls that extend for nearly 2 Km are preserved virtually intact and enclose the elegant city centre. It is located about 50 km from Padova. 

Montagnana's strategic position favoured settlements, since the town is located along the regional road 10 Padana Inferiore, about 50 km from the towns of Padova, Verona, Vicenza, Mantova, and Ferrara, and 80 km from Venice. The area was already inhabited in the late Neolithic Age and , in Roman times, Montagnana was the ideal location to control the entire region. A military garrison was built to guard the bridge on the river Adige along the via Emilia Altinate (until it was destroyed in 589AD by a major flood.)

In the 10th century frequent and devastating raids by the Hungarians promoted the construction of a fortifications in Montagnana, centered around the San Zeno Castel.  The small fortified village later became the feudal centre of Marquesses Este and participated int he struggle between the Papacy and the Empire.  In the 12th century, the army of Ezzelino II da Romano, the Imperial viceroy of Frederick II, fought against the Guelph League of the Marquesses Este, who supported the Pope.  In 1242 after been burnt down the city was conquered by  Ezzelino, who stated to rebuilding the walls, raising the Mastio (a medieval tower) that still bears his name.

In 1275 Montagnana was included into the municipality of Padova.  The portions of the brick walls near the two fortified gates date back to those times.  During the 14th  Century, except for a short period (1317-1337) under the Della Scala family, Montagnana was part of the seigneury of the Carrara family, rulers of Padova.  In th 14th century the city became part of the Serenissima (Republic of Venice) the city had lost some of its strategic importance but location along trade routes attracted Veneto aristocrats who but several important villa.

WHAT TO SEE IN MONTAGNANA

  • The City Walls
  • Rocca degli Alberi
  • Castello di S. Zeno
  • Duomo
  • Piazza Mazzini

 

Monte Madonna Bike Climb From Vo, Padova Province

MONTE MADONNA COLLI EUGANEI BIKE CLIMB FROM VO | BIKE TOURING PADOVA PROVINCE

Colli Euganei Monte Madonna

A great ride to add, to your Colli Euganeiloop, when you are biking in Italy, is the Monte Madonnaclimb near Teolo. You can climb up to Teolofrom two different directions;  Abano on the eastern slope or from on the western slope. Both climbs up to Teolo are manageable, with the Abano side being harder in % of grade, but to approach from the side you will need to do more miles to get there; unless you are traveling around by car. The best place to base yourself for the Colli Euganeiis in Monterosso Termeor Monselice, Padova, or Vicenza.

I did the ride starting in Vicenza so I road on the side and a complete loop was 64 kilometers .

COLLI EUGANEI'S MONTE MADONNA BIKE CLIMB ROUTE NOTES

Start Point
Finish Point Mt. Madonna
Length 7.89 km
Elevation at start 39.4 meters
Elevation Max 522 meters
Elevation Gain 474 meters
Average % Grade 6.1%
Max. % Grade 15%

MONTE MADONNA BIKE CLIMB FROM VO ROUTE NOTES

At the start of the bike climb up to Monte Madonnafrom Vò, you will find that first 4 kilometers up to Teoloare very manageable, there are only a couple of sections of 6%. The ride up to Teolo is in the woods and only the last km are you exposed to the heat on hot days.

As you arrive in Teoloyou will see the peak to your left, it is the one with the two radio towers. (photo above).  In Teolothere is a small market and bar if you need a ristro stop, continue along the main road until the highest point.

At the highest point in Teolo,on the right side of the road, you will find a bar with a parking area and lookout.  Just·before you start to go·downhill toward Padova and Abano, you will notice on the left across from this bar, a side street that is sign posted for Santuario Monte Madonna. This is the road up to Monte Madonna,it is easy to miss and this route is often over looked for this reason and because of the difficulty. This is where the climbing really starts, but at least from this turn off it is just under 4 km to the top.  The first 800 are easy but·then you will hit sections averaging 12% and topping out at 15%.  If you cut the curves close you will get up to 18%-20% flashes on your GPS.

At around the 6 km mark you will come to a pasture and park area with signs, on the left side of the road, explaining history and trails to be found in the Colli Euganeipark, on the right side of the road is a water point. (see photo). This is a welcome sight on a hot day if you are here in the summer. After the fountain you have about 100 meters of level ground and then the last 1 - 2 km will be a·steady 12% grade.

The finish point is at the parking lot and entrance to the church, on week days you can ride into the courtyard, on busy days they do not like you to ride within the church grounds.

Great climb up to this peak but be careful on the descent, there will be cars coming up to visit the church, and there can be washout in the curves if it has rained prior to your riding.  The road is in good shape but it is not cleaned weekly. Also keep in mind that a Compac with at least a 27 in the rear will beusefull and if you are riding the Colli Euganei and other hills in the are having a up to a 32X29, is very welcomed or a triple chain ring.

Make sure you add this great climb to your bike route if you are visiting Colli Euganei area. The history of the area is quite interesting and on a clear day you have some great views of the Adriatic Sea, Padova, and even the lagoon of Venezia.

Montegrotto | Veneto Region

TOWN OF MONTEGROTTO TERME IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

Even though Montegrotto is a separate town it is not easy to understand when Abano Terme stops and Montegrotto starts. With lots of new roads and by passes to help the daily traffic flow the town network is a maze. But it is not a bad place to get lost, Montegrotto still has a holiday resort feel, but a little more low key then it's neighbor Abano.

Montegrotto is a good stop for a bike ride because of the train schedule and the station is right in the center. It is claimed by some that Montegrotto is the spot Phaethon fell when struck by Zeus's thunderbolt, thus creating the hot springs. There are Roman ruing that have been uncovered, and a villa Draghi has a nice park full of rare plants.

Padova | Veneto Region

CITY OF PADUA IN THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA

saint anthony

Padova or Padua (Latin: Patavium, , German Padua (historically: Esten)) is a city and Province in the Veneto Region of northern Italy. It is the capital of the province of Padua and the economic and communications hub of the area. Padua's population is just over 214,000. The city is sometimes included, with Venice and Treviso, in the Padua-Treviso-Venice Metropolitan Area, having a population of around 1,600,000.

Padua sits on the Bacchiglione River, west of Venice and southeast of Vicenza. The Brenta River, which once ran through the city, still touches the northern districts. Its agricultural setting is the Venetian Plain (Pianura Veneta). To the city's south west lies the Euganaean Hills, praised by writers like Lucan and Martial, Petrarch, Ugo Foscolo, and Shelley. It hosts the renowned University of Padua, almost 800 years old and famous, among other things, for having had Galileo Galilei among its lecturers.

scrovini chapel

The city is picturesque, with a dense network of arcaded streets opening into large communal piazze, and many bridges crossing the various branches of the Bacchiglione, which once surrounded the ancient walls like a moat. Padua is the setting for most of the action in Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew.

Padua claims to be the oldest city in northern Italy. According to a tradition dated at least to Virgil's Aeneid, and rediscovered by the medieval commune, it was founded in 1183 BC by the Trojan prince Antenor, who was supposed to have led the people of Eneti or Veneti from Paphlagonia to Italy. The city exhumed a large stone sarcophagus in the year 1274 and declared these to represent Antenor's relics.

Patavium, as Padua was known by the Romans, was inhabited by (Adriatic) Veneti. They were reputed for their excellent breed of horses and the wool of their sheep. Its men fought for the Romans at Cannae. The city was a Roman municipium since 45 BC (or 43). It became so powerful that it was reportedly able to raise two hundred thousand fighting men. At that time the population of the city could be up to 40,000.

Abano, which is nearby, is the birthplace of the reputed historian Livy. Padua was also the birthplace of Valerius Flaccus, Asconius Pedianus and Thrasea Paetus. The area is said to have been Christianized by Saint Prosdocimus. He is venerated as the first bishop of the city.

Bike Touring Padova, Padova City Map Italiaoutdoors

GETTING TO THE CITY OF PADOVA, ITALY

By Car: The A-4 autostrade runs right by the city exit and enter the city.  There are multiple parking lots within the city to leave your car.

By Train: The main Milano to Venice line stops in Padova, the station is also the point where many trains turn south for Bologna and Florence.  If you use a Eurostar train Padova is a nice day trip from Bologna, Milano, and Florence.  Local and Regional trains make it an easy day trip from Venice, Vicenza, Ferrara, and Verona. 

By Bicycle: A city bike works great to get around the city. Most sites are far enough apart that you either need to use the bus system, have a good pair of walking shoes or ride a bike.  The city is making designated bike paths but the entire system is not completely interlinked.  If you are planning on bike touring in the area I do not recommend riding through the city to visit along your route.  This is a place to take the day to see, so as a start point, rest day activity or end on your route it works great, otherwise ride around.

THINGS TO SEE IN PADOVA:

  • Saint Anthony's cathedral (Basilica di Sant'Antonio), Piazza del Santo, (limited traffic area,parking in Prato della Valle+free shuttle bus line n° 3-8-11-12-13-16-18-22-32-43-Minibus Piazze-A-M-T and tramway line 1 stop "Basilica del Santo"-"Santa Giustina"-"Prato della Valle"), +39 0498789722
  • The Oratorio de San Giorgio on the south side of the piazza next to the Basilica di Sant'Antonio is a beautiful, frescoed hall, and generally empty. The paintings were done by two of Giotto's students, and though they are not as magnificent as those in the Capella degli Scrovegni, you can sit down and gaze at them undisturbed for as long as you like. Admission €2.50.
  • Scrovegni's Chapel (Cappella degli Scrovegni), Corso Garibaldi, (parking near bus station, bus lines n° 3-8-9-10- (stop "Corso Garibaldi") 7-9-4-15 (stop "Piazzale Boschetti")), +39 0492010020 (www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it). Every day, 9.00-19.00. €12 full price, €5 student price (including Eremitani Civic Museum and Contemporary Art Museum). The Chapel is in the north of the city center, not far from the bus and train stations.
  • Prato della Valle is the biggest square in Europe and probably one of the most beautiful in the World. Historically a Roman theater and later a fairground, it was redone in 1775 to the present layout: a large central grassy area, surrounded by a statue-lined canal, then a broad expanse of flagstones before a couple lanes of traffic are allowed to trickle around it in the distance. Saturdays the square hosts a giant market.
  • Santa Giustina Basilica Prato della Valle and Saint Giustina Basilica is along one side of Prato della Valle. When you visit, don't miss the Martyr's Hallway off of the right-front corner of the basilica.
  • Roman ruins, including an Arena. The Arena is smaller and less impressive than those in Verona or Rome, but well-located in a lovely and well-maintained park. About three quarters of the Arena walls remain; the rest were removed to make way for the Scrovegni Chapel and Scrovegni Palace (the latter now long gone). In summertime, open-air movies are shown in the Arena.
  • The Duomo, or cathedral, is smaller than the two basilicas but not by much - don't be misled by the relatively small façade on Piazza del Duomo. Michaelangelo was involved in the cathedral's design.  Note: The cathedral closes during lunch, with no visible hours posted beside the doors. If they're closed, try again later.
  • Astronomic Observatory (La Specola), 5, Vicolo dell'Osservatorio, (bus n° 12 or 18, stop "Via P. Paoli", turn to via S. Alberto Magno to reach the Specola tower), +39 0498759840 (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.), [19]. Sa-Su 11.00-16.00 (18.00 May-Oct). Although the observatory was build after Galileo's time in Padova, you'll learn a lot about his significance for the research in Padova.
  • Jewish Ghetto, it's located between "Piazza della Frutta", the "Duomo" and "via Roma"
  • Palazzo del Bo' is the main university building. Padova's university is the second oldest in Italy (founded 1222).
  • Botanic Garden - the first Botanic Garden in the World, operated by the University of Padova, and on the UNESCO World Heritage list since 1997.  Admission ranges from free (for some university students) to to €1 (for other university students) to €4-5 for everyone else.

 EATING IN PADOVA

  • Pizzeria Medina - Via S.G. Barbarigo 18, midday and evenings, closed Tuesday) is just down the street from the Duomo (cathedral). They offer great-tasting pizzas that are enormous even by Italian standards. Quality is high, prices are low (pizza and wine 10-15 EUR), and the atmosphere is great.
  • Pago Pago (Via Galileo Galilei 59) is near the Basilica - one block over and around the corner. They have the usual range of pastas, meat/fish dishes, pizzas, etc.
  • Cucina Chef Chadi (Via S. Francesco 214, closed 2-4.30PM and after 8PM) is right behind the basilica: keep the building to your right and walk until the corner at the end of the street.
  • Ai Talli (Via Boccalerie 5) is on a side street off of Piazza della Frutta, or has tables on the corner of the Piazza when the weather is nice. They specialize in Calabrian dishes - from the southern tip of Italy - and use only authentic ingredients.
  • Oktoberfest, Via del Santo 80 (100m from Basillica di Sant' Antonio).
  • La Lanterna, Piazza dei Signori 39,  12:00-14:30, 18:00-24:00. Pizza is baked on wooden kiln.
  • Birrolandia, Via Nazareth 11 (Near hospital (500 mt) and close to Croce Verde),  12:00 - 15:00, 19:00 - 02:00. Probably the best Pub in Padua,.
  • Il Re del Kebab, Via Belzoni 127 (Near to Porta Portello), ☎ 049774447,  12:00 - 15:30, 18:00 - 23:30. Very good and cheap kebab and pizzas.
  • Ristorante la Finestra, Via Dei Tadi 15, ☎ 049650313. 19.30-22.30. The Restaurant is in one most beautiful streets of the centre, a few steps from the Duomo.
  • Re Porco Osteria, Via S. Pietro,47-35139, ☎ 049 876 12 89 (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).
  • Mama Isa's Supper Club,,. In the center of Padova there is a small and secret Underground Dinner.
  • For a light lunch, stop into any cafe for tramezzini - small sandwiches that come with a variety of fillings, and are usually cheap.

WHERE TO STAY

  • B&B Hotel Padova URL: http://www.hotelbb.it/it/hotel-padova/hotel. Via del Pescarotto 39 - 35131 Padova - Tel.: +39 049 7800233 - B&B Hotel Padova - Free WiFi, Free Pay-TV, with private bathroom
  • Casa del Pellegrino, Via M.Cesarotti 21 (across the square from the Basilica di Sant'Antonio), ☎ +39 0498239711 (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., fax: +39 0498239780), [33]. A no-frills hotel, specializing in groups, but immaculate and quiet, and located across the street to the north of the Basilica de Santo Antonio. Some of the rooms have views of the basilica. From €40 (single, off season, shared bathroom) to €106 (more than three beds, high season).
  • Hotel Igea, Via Ospedale, 87, ☎ +39.049.8750577 (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., fax: +39.049.660865).
  • NH Mantegna, Via Tommaseo, 61, ☎ +39 049 8494 111, 4 star hotel in the centre. Rooms from €78.

Padova Province in the Veneto Region of Italy

PADOVA PROVINCE IN THE VENETO REGION OF ITALY

Padova Province, Veneto Italy

The Province of Padua (Provincia di Padova) is a province in the Veneto region of Italy. Its capital is the city of Padua. It has an area of 2,142 km², and a total population of 940,090 (2012) making it the most populated province of Veneto. There are 104 comuni in the province.  The territory is divided into the capital city, Padua, and its country side, formed by the nearby municipalities; Paduan the Alta Pianura (higher plain), north of the city; the Bassa Pianura (lower plain), south of the city, including the Saccisica in the south-east; and the Colli Euganei, south-west of the city. The Euganei hills are the only heights of the entire province, the other parts being totally plain.

The province of Padua is rich in touristic sites. The city of Padua is home of some masterpieces from Medieval and Renaissance art and architecture, while the towns of Cittadella and Montagnana are famous for the well preserved Medieval city walls. There are many ancient and beautiful villas in the countryside, a few of them from Palladio, the main ones being Villa Contarini (in Piazzola sul Brenta) and Villa Barbarigo (in Valsanzibio). The Euganei hills offer a relaxing naturalistic site, often covered in woods, while at their eastern slopes there are many ancient spa sites: the Terme Euganee, as Abano Terme, Montegrotto Terme, Galzignano Terme, Battaglia Terme.

There is a small part of the Venetian Lagoon lying inside the province, the Valle Millecampi ("one-thousand-fields valley"); and also the river landscapes of the countryside include naturalistic routes, even for cycling or horse-riding. Travelling by boat is possible as well. Two motorways cross the territory, one being the A4, the other being the A13; Padua has also an highway ring surrounding the city and connecting it to its hinterland. The main railways make almost the same paths of the motorways, going to Venice, Milan or Bologna; but there are minor railways going north (Castelfranco Veneto), north-west (Bassano del Grappa and Trento), south-west (Mantua) and south-east (Chioggia). The main roads follow all those paths. The borders of the province are almost the same from the Medieval commune, with just some adjustment in the north-east.

 

Padova Italy, Province Map

Padova  Capitol city of the Province.
Cittadella- Walled city built in the 1100's.
Montagnana- Walled city in the southern part fo the province that has ties to the Duke of Este
Abano Terme- Thermal Springs and health resort in the Euganei Hills
Arqua Petrarca- Small Borga in the Euganei Hills that was home to the Poet Petrarch in his last years of life.
Colli Euganeiof the Padova Province

COMMUNITIES IN THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA

Abano Terme | Agna | Albignasego | Anguillara Veneta | Arquà Petrarca | Arre | Arzergrande | Bagnoli di Sopra | Baone | Barbona | Battaglia Terme | Boara Pisani | Borgoricco | Bovolenta | Brugine | Cadoneghe | Campo San Martino | Campodarsego | Campodoro | Camposampiero | Candiana | Carceri | Carmignano di Brenta | Cartura | Casale di Scodosia | Casalserugo | Castelbaldo | Cervarese Santa Croce | Cinto Euganeo | Cittadella | Codevigo | Conselve | Correzzola | Curtarolo | Este | Fontaniva | Galliera Veneta | Galzignano Terme | Gazzo | Grantorto | Granze | Legnaro | Limena | Loreggia | Lozzo Atestino | Masera di Padova | Masi | Massanzago | Megliadino San Fidenzio | Megliadino San Vitale | Merlara | Mestrino | Monselice | Montagnana | Montegrotto Terme | Noventa Padovana | Ospedaletto Euganeo | Padova | Pernumia | Piacenza d'Adige | Piazzola sul Brenta | Piombino Dese | Piove di Sacco | Polverara | Ponso | Ponte San Nicolo' | Pontelongo | Pozzonovo | Rovolon | Rubano | Saccolongo | Saletto | San Giorgio delle Pertiche | San Giorgio in Bosco | San Martino di Lupari | San Pietro in Gu | San Pietro Viminario | Santa Giustina in Colle | Santa Margherita d'Adige | Sant'Angelo di Piove di Sacco | Sant'Elena | Sant'Urbano | Saonara | Selvazzano Dentro | Solesino | Stanghella | Teolo | Terrassa Padovana | Tombolo | Torreglia | Trebaseleghe | Tribano | Urbana | Veggiano | Vescovana | Vighizzolo d'Este | Vigodarzere | Vigonza | Villa del Conte | Villa Estense | Villafranca Padovana | Villanova di Camposampiero | Vo

ACTIVE VACATIONS IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

HISTORY OF PADOVA

PLACES TO VISIT IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE

Rocca Pendice (Teolo) Climbing Area, Padova Province

ROCCA PENDICE (TEOLO) ROCK CLIMBING AREA | PADOVA PROVINCE

Rock Climb Padova, Rocca Pendice

Rocca Pendice is volcanic cliff located in the Colli Eugenai and has over 300 bolted routes to climb on. The climbing at Teolo (the other name for Rocca Pendice) is technical and takes good footwork and route reading skills. If your style if power climbing you could get 'handed you lunch' at this site, there are many mid ranges climbs that can only be done with technical sequences.

Rocca Pendice is a great area for a 2 -3 days of climbing, sitting just south of the city of Padova and located in the Euganei hills (best know for the hot springs in Abano) there is plenty to do on none climbing days, as a major wine region and protected area the Euganei hills makes for a quite and relaxing area to vacation.

Rocca Pendice rock climbing site offers a great change of pace to the limestone cliffs that dominate the region

ROCCA PENDICE (TEOLO) ROCK CLIMBING GUIDE

REGION Veneto Region
PROVINCE Padova Province
LOCATION Euganei Hills
NEAREST TOWN Teolo
Rock Climb Teolo, Padova
TYPE OF ROCK Volcanic
HEIGHT 200 meters
NUMBER OF ROUTES 360+ (4 to 8a)
LENGTH OF ROPE NEEDED 60 meter
EQUIPMENT 15 quick draws, some anchors do not have clips
APPROACH TIME 10 minutes
SPECIAL NOTES Not a place to climb if rains. Do not leave valuables in car at parking
GUIDE BOOK  

rocca pendice 14

 

Rock Climbing Guide to the Padova Province, Italy

ROCK CLIMBING GUIDE TO THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA

The only place to climb in the Padova Province, of the Veneto Region, is in the Colli Euganei.  The Euganei hills are located just south of the city of Padova and reachable by train and provincial bus.  The rock at the climbing areas is volcanic and most of the climbing requires good body control and technique. The areas are well bolted with combination of expansion bolts and resined bolts.  Some of the areas you will need a lowering sling to tie off with so that you can route the route the rope.

Rock Climbing Padova Province, Italy

PADOVA PROVINCE ROCK CLIMBING SITES

  1. Rock Climbing Guide to Rocca Pendice (Teolo) Italy
  2. Rock Climbing Guide to the West Wall of Rocca Pendice, Italy
  3. Monte Piro

Torreglia | Veneto Region

TOWN OF TORREGLIA IN THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA

Another one of the special hidden valleys of the hills that has seems to connect you with earth and nature itself. The valley holds several surprises, there are still parts of the Fonte Regina spring, that feed the Roman aqueducts that ran to Abano and Padua. Above the town in Luvigliano is the villa dei Vescovi, designed byFalconetto and built by Andrea da Valle, and nearby is the Euganean HillsHeadquaters for Consorziodei Vino D.O.C., the organization that guarantees the quality of wines in the Euganean region.

The Camaldolese monks chose to build the Monte Rua Hermitage in Torreglia, a tranquil site fit for mediation. The Camaldolese monks and nuns are part of the Benedictine family of monastic communities which follow the way of life outlined in the Rule of St. Benedict, written in the 6th century.

Things to see in Torreglia

  • Chiesa di San Martino
  • Chiesa di San Sabino
  • Ermo di Monte Rua
  • Hotel La Torre
  • Il Castelletto
  • villa Barbieri Verson
  • villa dei Vescovi
  • villa Imacolata
  • villa Isabella
  • villa Tolomei
  • villa Venturini Ferri

Vo | Veneto Region

TOWN OF VO IN THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA

Vò is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Padua in the Italian Veneto region, located about west of Venice and about southwest of Padua, in the western end of the Euganean Hills. Mount Venda forms part of its territory, at the highest of the Hills area. Along with four other Italian towns, Vò shares the distinction of having the shortest town name in Italy. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 3,416. Vo' borders the following municipalities: Agugliaro, Albettone, Cinto Euganeo, Galzignano Terme, LozzoAtestino, Rovolon, and Teolo.

Vò takes its name from the Latin "Vadum," probably the ancient commercial port on the Adige River, which until 589 forked near Monte Este, and its secondary branch ran alongside the Euganean Hills, skirting Monte della Madonna. During the medieval period two castles went up: one belonging to the noble Da Vo' family and another at Castellaro belonging to the Maltraversi family.

Between the 16th and 17th centuries noted Venetian families (including the Contarini and the Veniers) built a number of villas in the area, and at this same time the old center, Vo' Vecchio, was founded, seat of the comune until 1900. In 1900 a new municipal "capital" was set up at Vo' Centro, known also as Ca' Erizzo; in 1933 the name Vo' was made definitive. As for orthography, the name is properly written with an apostrophe, although it is sometimes erroneously spelled with a grave accent (Vò). One of its most famous villas is the Ca' Morosini. The villa, which goes back to at least 1300 and was once a Benedictine hermitage, has belonged to the Zavattiero family since 1930.

Where to Eat in the Padova Province

WHERE TO EAT IN THE PADOVA PROVINCE OF ITALY

Eating in the Padova Province

Where to Eat in the Padova Province of Veneto Italy.  Listing of great slow food restaurants to enjoy during your next vacation.

TOWN RESTAURANT

Camponogara

Hosteria Ai Mitraglieri

Piazza Marconi, 28

Tel – 041-5150872

Loreggia

Locanda Aurilia

Via Aurelia, 27

Tel – 049-5790395

Padova

L’anfora

Via dei Soncin, 13

Tel – 049-656629

follow us

Resources

General

  • About Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Privacy Policy

Newsletter