PLACES TO VISIT IN THE VENICE PROVINCE OF THE VENETO
Towns to visit during your vacation in Venice, Italy.
Towns to visit during your vacation in Venice, Italy.
Cavarzere is a comune in the Province of Venice in the Italian region of Veneto, located about southwest of Venice. Neighbouring municipalities of Cavarzere are: Adria, Agna, Anguillara Veneta, Chioggia, Cona, Loreo, Pettorazza Grimani, San Martino di Venezze. Cavarzere is on the plain. The main river flowing through it is Adige. There are also many canals passing through this town. The town is not affected by urban sprawl, contrary to other parts of the Veneto, such as the “Roman Graticolato” near Padua.
Cavarzere has a good bus service providing regular transport to all parts of the area and neighbouring towns. To improve this service, was built a new large bus station. There is also a railway line which connects Adria to Venice having two stops in Cavarzere. It has a medium school system based on primary and secondary schools and also on professional training institutes. Cavarzere has a little hospital belonging to ULSS 14 of Chioggia, a medical outpost named “cittadella socio-sanitaria” because its inhabitants are treated often in the hospital of Adria. Also there are some cultural and leisure activities: Cavarzere has got a cinema, two theatres, many bars and restaurants, parks, choirs, a music society, photography club, a little stadium, tennis courts, many sports clubs and other again.
The main economic sector of Cavarzere is agriculture. In the first part of 20th century, Cavarzere grew to become a city with a phase of industrialization. The process was interrupted by the flood of the river Po in 1951. Since that year, the region recorded a continuous decrease in population which reimmigration of these years could not counteract. The modern industrial area is based on manufacturing. Most people, however, commute to neighbouring cities.
Cavarzere dates from the pre-Roman age as a military outpost of the near town of Hatria, the future Adria. The etymology of Cavarzere is due to the Roman colonization. The town born as “Caput Aggeris” because once was the only village in the area having got an embankment system. When the Roman Empire collapsed, it was a destination of the populations who sought refuge from the barbarians. Since these years, Cavarzere will follow the fate of its owned: the Venetian Republic. For this viable location (along the River Adige and not far from the Venetian Lagoon) and because was the last town before the Papal States, Cavarzere was destroyed by many artificial floods and invasions: the Lombards, the Genovesi, the French and also from the Duchy of Ferrara. When Napoleon deleted the Republic of Venice, the town was annexed by Austrian Empire with the Treaty of Campo Formio in 1797. After a brief rule of Kingdom of Italy (a protectorate of French Empire), with the Congress of Vienna in 1815 Cavarzere was annexed by the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia. Since 1866 it was a municipality of Italy.
San Donà di Piave is a city and comune of province of Venice, Veneto Region of northern Italy. It has been one of the historical main towns of the Eastern Veneto territory and was totally reconstructed in the early 1920s after being heavily damaged during the World War I. San Donà lies along the Piave river and is bordered by the communes of Noventa di Piave, Musile di Piave and Fossalta di Piave. These towns have almost become a single urban area, also known as Città del Piave. As well, San Donà borders the territories of Jesolo, Eraclea, Ceggia, Torre di Mosto, Cessalto and Salgareda.
Dolo is a town and comune in the province of Venice, in the Veneto Region, Italy. It is connected by the SP26 provincial road and is one of the towns of the Riviera del Brenta. The origin of the name of Dolo is quite uncertain and controverted. One hypothesis asserts the name comes from the contraction of "Dandolo", surname of a noble Venetian family who gave a doge to the city of Venice and had properties here. From old maps it appears that the town’s name was sometimes reported as “ Dollo “ which in archaic Italian language could also mean a tower which was probably demolished thereafter, unless it refers to church’s belfry which is the highest in the region of Veneto, just second to St. Mark’s belfry in Venice. A lovely picture of the ancient locks of Dolo of the Venetian painter Canaletto is visible in a museum in London.
The growth of the town of Dolo was due to the gradual downsizing of the maritime power of Venice, which had been historically oriented towards Dalmatia, the Aegean Sea and the Middle East, occurred concurrently with the fall of the Byzantine Empire, the Islamic expansion and the new opening of navigation routes to the Americas. The resulting was the need to address inland its new commercial interests.
At the beginning of the fifteenth century, documents testify to the existence of a village which, developing, gave rise to the economic importance of Dolo, always linked to the construction of its water mills collecting the wheat from the nearby agricultural lands and then grinding the flour and embarking same into cargo boats pulled by horses along the banks of the Brenta Canal to the lagoon, from where they continued directly up to the Venice island settlement. Drinking water, too, was carried from Dolo to the center of Venice by cargo boats with big barrels filled directly from springs of the little river Seriola.
The territory was affected by massive hydraulic works that led to the diversion of the main bed of the river Brenta through an artificial canal with new mouths along the southern sea approaches of the port of Chioggia, while just one part of the old Brenta still flows into the lagoon near the location of Fusina. The purpose of these megalithic hydraulic works was primarily to prevent the progressive flooding of the lagoon by the fresh water of the rivers and thus maintaining a high degree of salinity necessary to make viable the navigation and the same existence of Venice. Until 1405 the jurisdiction of Dolo was under Padua, and then passed definitely under the dominion of Venice. A boat called the Burchiello transported Venetians noblemen directly to the Riviera sailing along the river Brenta, which was considered as a natural extension of the Grand Canal, to spend summer in their sumptuous villas.
The water level of the navigable river ways were controlled by a system of locks which are nowadays still visible in the center of Dolo, even if the evolution basin is now ground filled. An old marble table is still shown nearby to show toll tariffs for the transit in the locks for each type of boats coming from or going to Padua. Close to basin, there is a small shipyard, now dismissed, which was anciently used to repair and shelter the boats prior or after transiting the locks, while laboratories of caulk were housed along the canal route.
Eraclea is a town and comune in the province of Venice, in the Veneto Region, Italy. It is located on the Adriatic coast between the towns of Caorle and Jesolo. Eraclea Mare, one of the destinations of summer tourism on the Adriatic riviera, is together with Jesolo and Caorle one of the best known seaside resorts on the Venetian coast. There has been a steady growth of foreign tourists, especially from Germany in the recent years.
In 2009, Eraclea Mare was awarded the "3 Sails" by the environmental NGO Legambiente. The city has been awarded the " Blue Flag" several years for the cleanliness of its beaches and seawater. The city's economy is mostly based on agriculture and tourism, because of its 6 km-long beach (Eraclea mare).
The town is served by Trenitalia route from to Venice and Trieste with the closed train station in San Donà di Piave, and by bus service from Venice Marco Polo Airport and Treviso Airport to the west and south, respectively. By road, Eraclea is reachable from Venice via the A4 through San Donà di Piave to the north.