• Home
  • Venice Province,

Bibione, Venice Italy Beach Resort

TOWN OF BIBIONE IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

One of the most visited beach resorts of the Upper Adriatic is Bibione and the area is characterized by fine golden sandy beaches. Surrounded by a splendid pine forest, the township of Bibione is known also as "Bibione all beach", due to the size of its sandy shore which stretches for eight kilometers. A great place for children because the shelf of the Adriatic slopes out slowly and even 100 meters off shore the water is still only 1 meter or 2 deep. 

The water is normally warm enough May to September to swim. and this is another place I have used to train for long distance open water swimming. In addition to the beaches, there are the thermal baths. Recently built, the "Bibione Thermae" facility makes use of the beneficial characteristics of the spring waters and makes a good place to recover from a ride or other activity. The township has a refined style with pedestrian areas lined with fashion boutiques and venues that are open all day. A fair ground has also been created where the younger ones can spend evenings of fun after a morning of sea and sun.

Best activities: Road bike, wind surf, kite surf, sailing.

Bike Touring Donzella Ring (E-3) Path | Venice Province

BIKE TOURING THE DONZELLA LOOP ROUTE | VENICE PROVINCE

donzella ring bike route

Veneto Region E3 Bike Route

The Po Delta is essentially an unspoiled natural environment that needs to be crossed slowly in order to be discovered.  This easy trip around Italy's youngest landforms starts out along the levee of the Po di Venezia, then borders the Scardovari Lagoon, and finally passes through the stretches of Farmland on the island of Donzella (Porto Tolle) where the well-known rice is produced.

Distance: 60 km
Route: roads running alone the levee
Start/Finish: Porto Tolle

Bike Touring the Brenta Canal Route #1 | Venice

BIKE TOURING THE BRENTA CANAL ROUTE 1 | VENICE PROVINCE

Brenta Canal Bike Tour Route 1 Map

There is a truly charming, attractive location just a few kilometers from Venice: the Brenta Riviera, a pretty place full of artistic and cultural interest. Between the 16th and the 18th centuries, some of the most important families from Venice had their summer residences built on the Riviera that runs alongside the Brenta river, a waterway that connects Venice to Padua. The most famous architects and painters of the period, such as Palladio and Tiepolo, were hired to create what was to become the symbol of the aristocratic families grandeur and wealth: the Venetian Villas. Andrea Palladio created a type of architectural building that brought together Classical elements copied from the villas of the Roman Empire era and original characteristics such as thebarchessa, a kind of annex that stood alongside the central part of the building.

ITALIAOUTDOORS BRENTA CANAL BIKE ROUTE#1

The route outlined below is what I have found to be the best route to see the attactions and be in the least traffic, along the Brenta Canal.

This itinerary includes all the most beautiful Venetian villas and can be completed in a one-day, morning to evening trip that can eventually take you back to the hotel in Venice that you have chosen. Or you can follow the route on to Padova, or Abano, Castelfranco Veneto. If you happen to have more time on your hands and you want to take longer visiting these Palladian masterpieces, you can use one of the severalhotels on the Brenta Riviera (or a bed & breakfast  as your base and divide this itinerary into several days.

BRENTA CANAL BIKE ROUTE#1 NOTES

CHECKPOINTS - Fusina - Malcontenta - Oriago - Mira - Dolo - Fiesso D'Artico - Stra

HIGHLIGHTS
  • villa Malcontenta
  • villa Widmann
  • villa Nazionale Pisani
  • Dolo
LENGHT 17 miles
brenta route 1 profile
DIFFICULTY LEVEL Easy
TYPE OF ROADS
  • Paved
  • Secondary roads
  • To visit some villas you will need to cross main road
SUGGESTED START TIME 0930 or later, not after 1700
STATE POINT Fusina Waterbus Station
ADDITIONAL LOOPS AND CONNECTING ROUTES
  • Bike Path from Mira to Mirano (best done on a Monday to see the local Market)
  • Bike Route from Stra to Padova
  • Bike Route from Stra to Abano (Eugenia Hills)
AFTER THE BIKE
  • Brenta Canal Wine Zone
  • History of the Area

 

 

Bike Touring The Venetian Islands | Venice Province

BIKE TOURING THE ISLANDS OF VENICE | VENICE PROVINCE

dolomites from lido di venezia

Veneto Region E5 Bike Route

This easy bike route offers cyclist a great experience to explore the Venice islands and relax, thanks to a combination of bike, beach, and lagoon.  The route goes through fascinating places; picturesque villages alternating with pristine natural environments.  Venice sparkles in the background, immersed in light and reflections from the lagoon.

Distance: 40 km
Route: secondary roads and walking/cycling paths
Start/Finish: Tronchetto VeniceVE
ACTV has bike + boat services on this route

Carole, Venice Province

TOWN OF CAROLE IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

Caorle Italy
Caorle, is a nice seaside village in the Venice Province of Italy's Veneto Region and well known for clean beaches and a town of full of local culture, history and tradition. Called the "miniature Venice", Caorle is a series of calli and campielli overlooked by houses painted with the vivid colors of the Venetian tradition. A wonderfully sculpted sea wall protects precious monuments: the Church of the Madonna dell'Angelo, the cathedral of S. Stefano and the cylinder-shaped bell tower, which today is the symbol of the town. 

Before it was a holiday resort, Caorle was a fishing port, and although tourism is now the most visible business here, fishing is still important. The fishermen's port, Porto Peschereccio, behind the town centre, is lined with working sea-going fishing boats. Caorle sits between the mouth of the river Livenza, a network of inland canals (draining the formerly marshy Veneto) and a wide area of water, mud and small islands known as the Caorle lagoon (Laguna di Caorle). Surrounded by waterways, Caorle is effectively an island, though connected by bridges. Porto Santa Margherita, a seaside suburb just the other side of the Livenza, is connected to the centre of Caorle by a ferry (traghetto). Along the lagoon shore are some examples of an unusual kind of local dwelling, seasonal fishermen's huts called casoni, made of reeds.

Caorle Italy

WHAT TO SEE IN CAORLE

The historic centre, just behind the seafront, is charming and full of character, with colourful painted houses and picturesque little squares and alleyways. There is a central shopping street, Via Rio Terrà (a former canal), which is largely pedestrianised, where you can find everyday shops as well as beachwear, postcards and ice creams. Hidden away in little courtyards are pretty cafes and restaurants; glancing through gaps in brightly-painted houses you'll see comfortable scenes such as couples eating at a pizzeria, comfortable outdoor bar tables under vine-covered trellises, a local leaning a bicycle against a painted wall.

Caorle's historic centre is clustered on a small bulging promontory, with long wide beaches either side. The heart of town is Piazza Vescovado, site of the town's cathedral, the Duomo or Cattedrale di Santo Stefano. The cathedral is a fine ancient building dating from the eleventh century, though heavily restored. Inside the church is a calm aura of antiquity. Stone and brick columns alternate either side of the nave, and a fragment of early-Christian sculpted marble is incorporated into the modern pulpit. Don't miss the rather endearing fresco of Santa Lucia, presenting her eyes on a plate, surrounded by quaintly-painted scenes from the saint's life. An equally charming wooden statue of San Rocco stands near the door, proudly displaying his own saintly attributes of a plague sore on the thigh and a little dog. The cathedral's other precious art includes a fifteenth-century wooden crucifix and a 'Palad'Oro' screen of silver and gold displayed behind the altar. Alongside the building is one of the town's symbols, its remarkable campanile (belltower). This tall, round, thin tower was possibly built as a watchtower; the views from the top must be tremendous. The upper part of the tower seems to be supported miraculously by a fine, delicate arched loggia.

The eighteenth-century Santuario della Madonna dell'Angelo sits right on the tip of the promontory with a campanile that doubles as a lighthouse, looking masterfully out over the Adriatic and seeming to hover between the sea and the fishing boats, the lines of beach sun loungers and row of hotels along the beach beyond. The church commemorates a miracle; the wooden statue of the Virgin Mary preserved inside was said to have been found by local fishermen as it floated in the sea on top of the marble base is displayed in the church. The church and story are important to the caorlotti, people of Caorle, and there are processions at sea every five years in honour of this event (the next is due to be held in 2015). The promenade approaching the church, the Lungomare Petronia, is separated from the sea by boulders which have been sculpted by artists into a permanent art show.

OUTDOOR RECREATION IN CAORLE

Caorle is a seaside resort, so for many visitors, the main thing to do is to enjoy the beaches and the sea.

Golfing in Caorle

There's an 18-hole golf-course, Golf Pra' delle Torri, five miles away beside the sea.

There are wide sandy beaches on either side of the historic centre of Caorle, linked by a charming seafront promenade. The beaches are very well-equipped, lined with row upon row of sun chairs and parasols for hire. There are children's play areas on the sands, and also fitness areas. Behind the beaches are rows of hotels and holiday rental apartments, along with all the normal seaside businesses: gelaterie, cafes, bars, restaurants, souvenir shops and so on. The town doesn't extend far inland from the sea, so wherever you are in Caorle, the beach is never far away.

Boat trips

If you are visiting Caorle in the summer months, a boat excursion is a must-do activity. Daily trips take holidaymakers into Venice, but you shouldn't miss the opportunity to explore the waterways and lagoon of Caorle itself. Two or three boats, including a small traditional bragozzo, operate trips lasting a couple of hours which explore the waterways and lagoon of Caorle. There are also romantic evening boat trips.

Boat trips start running regularly around the middle of May, but it is always a good idea to check and perhaps book in advance, by telephoning ahead, or asking your hotel or the tourist office. Trips to Venice run Monday-Friday, departing at 8am and leaving Venice at 4pm.

Bicycling Around Caorle

There are a number of different bicycle itineraries around Caorle; ask at the tourist information office or your hotel for more information - or plan your own route on a map. The landscape is flat and divided by canals which frequently have paths alongside them, so it is a good area for cycling. Although not dramatic, the rural scenery is attractive and interesting. In Caorle you can hire bicycles (normal bikes as well as the multi-rider 'jaunting' kind) on Via Istria, at a reasonable hourly rate.

GETTING TO CAORLE, ITALY

Caorle Italy MapGetting to Caorle is quite easy, thanks to regular bus connections with Venice and Marco Polo airport. However, Caorle's geographical position out on a coastline interrupted by rivers, canals and lagoons prevents it from being a good base for an exploring holiday. You can visit one or two places by public transport or driving, but if you want to take in a larger variety of destinations, I'd recommend moving on from Caorle to an inland BASE.

By air: The main airport for Venice, Marco Polo Airport, is very convenient for Caorle, as the ATVO bus from Venice to Caorle (see below) stops in the airport forecourt (buy your ticket in advance at the ticket desk inside the arrivals hall). The buses run roughly hourly, and the journey takes just under an hour and a half. There's luggage space in the hold.

Treviso Airport, served by Ryanair (as 'Venice Treviso'), is also near Caorle. A third option, also with budget flights, is Trieste Airport. From here you would need to take a bus to Monfalcone station, a train to Portogruaro and then another bus to Caorle.

By train: Caorle doesn't have a railway station. The most convenient station to use is Portogruaro, on the Venice - Trieste railway line. Hourly buses connect Portogruaro station with Caorle.

By bus: Caorle bus station (autostazione) is a short walk from the centre of town. ATVO services connect Caorle and neighbouring Porto Santa Margherita with the rest of the Veneto and with the railway network. You can view the latest timetables on the ATVO website (see links panel on the right). Venice is two hours away by bus; a long but scenic journey over the reclaimed wetlands of the Veneto plain. The bus stops in Piazzale Roma in Venice, and after reaching Caorle it continues over the canal to Porto Santa Margherita. Other destinations which can be reached by bus from Caorle, although with limited journeys per day, include Treviso and Oderzo (changing at San Dona' di Piave, a bustling inland town), the seaside resort of Eraclea Mare and Udine (a couple of services a day, changing in Portogruaro).

WHERE TO STAY IN CAORLE

Caorle is packed with seaside hotels and holiday apartments.

Cavallino Treporti, Beach resort near Venice

TOWNS OF CAVALINO AND TREPORTI IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

The coast of Cavallino-Treporti is known all over Europe as the kingdom of "plein air" (campers or RV's), where tourist resorts and camping grounds are able to meet different holiday and vacation needs.

 Its beach of fine sand is one of the most beautiful in Italy and is about 12 kilometers long. This extremely long strip of land touches a shallow sea, whilst a centuries old pine grove offers -unique scenery, where the dominant vegetation is constituted by Mediterranean pine and stone pine, as well as tamaracks and Russian olive. A naturalistic paradise for lovers of birdwatching or for those who desire to discover the uniqueness of this environment by bicycle or by boat. For lovers of the marine environment, the "tegnùe" are found a few miles from the coast of Cavallino Treporti, natural rocky outcrops "built" by calcareous red algae.

TheCavallino-Treporti area is divided into 12 districts: Lio Grando,Ca' Ballarin, Ca' Pasquali, Ca' Savio, Ca' di Valle, Ca' Vio, Cavallino, Lio Piccolo,Mesole, Punta Sabbioni, Saccagnana and Treporti. The peninsula is crossed by various waterways. The River Sile, which runs through the old basin of the River Piave, separates it from nearby Jesolo. The length of the territory is crossed by the Pordelio Canal, which branches out towards the West into thePortosecco and Saccagnana canals and into the Casson canal to the East.If you follow the unpaved paths that run alongside the banks of these waterways (perhaps by bike), you can stop in one of the many hamlets full of centuries worth of history and then explore the lagoon landscape, where you can have breathtaking encounters with seagulls, herons and cormorants.

Cavallino Treponti, Italy

Cavallino Treporti represents a natural protection zone, one of the most interesting areas of the Northern Lagoon, a natural environment made up of sandbanks, reed beds, tide pools,swamps and fishing ponds. But the coast is also made up of seaside resorts with a more recent history, such as Ca' Savio, Punta Sabbioni, Ca' Pasquali. In addition to tourism, the Coast is an area naturally suited to agriculture. Small family-run farming businesses specialize in the production of fruit and vegetables, among which the very flavorsome tomato warrants a mention, as well as the asparagus and fruit such as peaches, pears and plums. All this produce reaches the principal markets of Veneto and Northern Italy daily.

WHAT TO EAT IN CAVALLINO TREPORTI

Cavallino-Treporti is one of Europe’s leading agricultural areas. Thanks to its environmental and morphological features, as well as the professionalism of its workers, agricultural products from this area are known all over Italy and in many European countries. Agriculture is deeply rooted in this territory – in the 1950s Cavallino-Treporti was considered the “kitchen garden” of Venice. Localfarmers set sail on typical vessels known as mascarete to cross the lagoon and travel to the Rialto market, where they sold their produce. A qualitative leap is linked to the deluge of November 1966, which affected local orchards. From that moment on, farmers in the area began to experiment with the cultivation of new varieties of fruit and vegetables, together with innovative production techniques. This resulted in the typical, protected produce grown in greenhouses which, fifty years later, achieved levels of excellence, high quality and guarantees, known throughout Europe. Today there are around 100 farms in the Cavallino-Treporti area. Typical produce includes tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, aubergines, cucumbers and lettuce. In recent years, as well as being sold in the most important wholesale markets in Northern Italy, fruit and vegetables from Cavallino-Treporti, identified by the “Parco Turistico” trademark, are also sold directly to tourists, as certified quality products at reasonable prices. Since last Summer, Cavallino-Treporti products identified by the “Parco Turistico” trademark have also been on sale in Coops in Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia.

Cavarzere, Venice Province

TOWN OF CAVARZERE IN THE PROVINCE OF VENICE

Cavarzere is a comune in the Province of Venice in the Italian region of Veneto, located about southwest of Venice. Neighbouring municipalities of Cavarzere are:Adria, Agna, Anguillara Veneta, Chioggia, Cona,Loreo, Pettorazza Grimani, San Martino di Venezze. Cavarzere is on the plain. The main river flowing through it is Adige. There are also many canals passing through this town. The town is not affected by urban sprawl, contrary to other parts of the Veneto, such as the “Roman Graticolato” near Padua.

Cavarzere has a good bus service providing regular transport to all parts of the area and neighbouring towns. To improve this service, was built a new large bus station. There is also a railway line which connects Adria to Venice having two stops in Cavarzere. It has a medium school system based on primary and secondary schools and also on professional training institutes. Cavarzere has a little hospital belonging to ULSS 14 of Chioggia, a medical outpost named “cittadella socio-sanitaria” because its inhabitants are treated often in the hospital of Adria. Also there are some cultural and leisure activities: Cavarzere has got a cinema, two theatres, many bars and restaurants, parks, choirs, a music society, photography club, a little stadium, tennis courts, many sports clubs and other again.

The main economic sector of Cavarzere is agriculture. In the first part of 20th century, Cavarzere grew to become a city with a phase of industrialization. The process was interrupted by the flood of the river Po in 1951. Since that year, the region recorded a continuous decrease in population whichreimmigration of these years could not counteract. The modern industrial area is based on manufacturing. Most people, however, commute to neighbouring cities.

Cavarzere dates from the pre-Roman age as a military outpost of the near town of Hatria, the future Adria. The etymology of Cavarzere is due to the Roman colonization. The town born as “Caput Aggeris” because once was the only village in the area having got an embankment system. When the Roman Empire collapsed, it was a destination of the populations who sought refuge from the barbarians. Since these years, Cavarzere will follow the fate of its owned: the Venetian Republic. For this viable location (along the River Adige and not far from the Venetian Lagoon) and because was the last town before the Papal States, Cavarzere was destroyed by many artificial floods and invasions: the Lombards, the Genovesi, the French and also from the Duchy of Ferrara. When Napoleon deleted the Republic of Venice, the town was annexed by Austrian Empire with the Treaty of Campo Formio in 1797. After a brief rule of Kingdom of Italy (a protectorate of French Empire), with the Congress of Vienna in 1815 Cavarzere was annexed by the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia. Since 1866 it was a municipality of Italy.

Chioggia, Venice Province

TOWN OF CHIOGGIA IN THE VICENZA PROVINCE

Chioggia Italy

Chioggia is a great visit and not a bad location for those looking to visit Venezia (Venice) and some of the lesser know areas of the Venice Province. The only draw back to the staying in Chioggia as a base is that it can be difficult to get to from the airport and train station.·There is a regional and provincial bus, plus a water bus form Venice, you can get a taxi or private car and save some time.There is sailing, wind surfing, some SCUBA diving, there is about 3 or 4 days worth of riding on flat terrain. Actually, Chioggia is where I go to train for Tri events.·You can swain along the coast line for 4-5 km without ever getting deeper than 2 meters in the water. During the early season it is a good place to train perhaps while your travel partner visits Venezia or a surrounding city.

Curzio Malaparte defined the town of Chioggia as the "the greatest café of Europe", referring to its vivacious, almost feverish lifestyle so well described by Carlo Goldoni in his famous plays. At almost every hour of the day it is crowded with people in the streets, calli, arches and above all in the numerous cafés.

At present Chioggia, with over 53,000 inhabitants, is the sixth most populated town in the Veneto Region.  Chioggiaisthe second largest island of the Venetian lagoon and has a "fish bone" shape. It existed during the Roman period, and possibly owes its name to the "FossaClodia", one of the branches of the ancient Brenta river delta.In 1110 it became a Bishop's See and subsequently came under the authority of the Serenissima - Clugia Major (Chioggia) and Clugia Minor (Sottomarina) were the eleventh and twelfth islands under the rule of the Doges ofVenice. Famous during the Middle Ages for the production of the prized 'sal Clugiae', the town was the battlefield of the War of Chioggia (1379-80) between the Maritime Republics of Genoa and Venice.

Those who stroll among the 74 calli of the town immediately notice that Corso del Popolo represents its vibrant hub. It is a wide 830 m long road which crosses the historic center from north to south and which is called the 'square'. More than just a road, the Corso resembles a spacious and welcoming 'street' where people seem to be sitting in their livingrooms overlooking the principal monuments of the town.

Chioggia is also made up of calli, bridges, arcades, canals and squeri. The calli are characteristic and also these are more than just streets but also places of life, work and play. A common 'living room' which extends to outside the all too cramped internal living areas of the houses. And then there are the canals, which divide the historical center into segments: the Vena canal, with its nine bridges, and its picturesque daily fish, fruit and vegetable market; the Lombardo and San Domenico canals, where deep-sea fishing boats are moored.

The nearby Sottomarina is a strip of land stretching for about 10 km, facing the Adriatic sea and extending past the Brenta river mouth to the mouth of the Adige. Famous in the past for its soil particularly suitable for vegetable growing, today this seaside resort is prized for its very fine sand beach, abundant in minerals such as augite, quartz, silicates and micaceous elements which make it suitable for sand baths and other treatments.

Chioggia Italy Map

WHAT TO DO AROUND CHIOGGIA

  • Bike Tour
  • Wind Surf
  • Surf
  • SCUBA DIVE

WHAT TO EAT IN CHIOGGIA

Chioggia is famous for its fishing boats or 'bragozzi' as well as the fine typical restaurants which cook the freshest of sea food dishes.
If you do go, the most classic of menus made up of just local products should look like this:

Boboli de vida: snails in olive oil and parsley
Granseole: boiled crab in olive oil, lemon and spices
Sardelesalae: raw sardines conserved in salt
Bibarasse in cassopipa: clams cooked in fried onions
Broeto: fish or molluscs cooked in a sauce of olive oil, onions and vinegar.
Bigoli in salsa: spaghetti in olive oil, garlic, onions, parsley and sardine fillets.
Risoto desepe: riso with fried or boiled squid.
Bisato in tecia: eel in tomato and white wine sauce
Sepenere: squid boiled in a garlic and olive oil with white wine, tomatoes and spices
Sardele insaore: fried sardines in a fried onion and vinegar sauce
Pesserosto incovercià: various types of fish roasted and served in a pot with olive oil, vinegar, wine and garlic
Radicchio rosso - served in olive oil and salt, roasted or fried.
Papini: ciambelle made at Easter time
Sugoli: a cream of black grapes and flour
Smegiassa: focaccia with black honey, flour, pumpkin, sultanas, pine nuts and sugar

Dolo, Venice Province

TOWN OF DOLO IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

Dolo is a town and comune in the province of Venice, in the Veneto Region, Italy. It is connected by the SP26 provincial road and is one of the towns of the Riviera del Brenta. The origin of the name of Dolo is quite uncertain and controverted. One hypothesis asserts the name comes from the contraction of "Dandolo", surname of a noble Venetian family who gave a doge to the city of Venice and had properties here. From old maps it appears that the town’s name was sometimes reported as “ Dollo “ which in archaic Italian language could also mean a tower which was probably demolished thereafter, unless it refers to church’s belfry which is the highest in the region of Veneto, just second to St. Mark’s belfry in Venice. A lovely picture of the ancient locks of Dolo of the Venetian painter Canaletto is visible in a museum in London.

The growth of the town of Dolo was due to the gradual downsizing of the maritime power of Venice, which had been historically oriented towards Dalmatia, the Aegean Sea and the Middle East, occurred concurrently with the fall of the Byzantine Empire, the Islamic expansion and the new opening of navigation routes to the Americas. The resulting was the need to address inland its new commercial interests.

At the beginning of the fifteenth century, documents testify to the existence of a village which, developing, gave rise to the economic importance of Dolo, always linked to the construction of its water mills collecting the wheat from the nearby agricultural lands and then grinding the flour and embarking same into cargo boats pulled by horses along the banks of the Brenta Canal to the lagoon, from where they continued directly up to the Venice island settlement. Drinking water, too, was carried from Dolo to the center of Venice by cargo boats with big barrels filled directly from springs of the little river Seriola.

The territory was affected by massive hydraulic works that led to the diversion of the main bed of the river Brenta through an artificial canal with new mouths along the southern sea approaches of the port of Chioggia, while just one part of the old Brenta still flows into the lagoon near the location of Fusina. The purpose of these megalithic hydraulic works was primarily to prevent the progressive flooding of the lagoon by the fresh water of the rivers and thus maintaining a high degree of salinity necessary to make viable the navigation and the same existence of Venice. Until 1405 the jurisdiction of Dolo was under Padua, and then passed definitely under the dominion of Venice. A boat called the Burchiello transported Venetians noblemen directly to the Riviera sailing along the river Brenta, which was considered as a natural extension of the Grand Canal, to spend summer in their sumptuous villas.

The water level of the navigable river ways were controlled by a system of locks which are nowadays still visible in the center of Dolo, even if the evolution basin is now ground filled. An old marble table is still shown nearby to show toll tariffs for the transit in the locks for each type of boats coming from or going to Padua. Close to basin, there is a small shipyard, now dismissed, which was anciently used to repair and shelter the boats prior or after transiting the locks, while laboratories of caulk were housed along the canal route.

Eraclea, Venice Province

TOWN OF ERACLEA IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

Eraclea is a town and comune in the province of Venice, in the Veneto Region, Italy. It is located on the Adriatic coast between the towns of Caorleand Jesolo. Eraclea Mare, one of the destinations of summer tourism on the Adriatic riviera, is together with Jesolo and Caorle one of the best known seaside resorts on the Venetian coast. There has been a steady growth of foreign tourists, especially from Germany in the recent years.

In 2009, Eraclea Mare was awarded the "3 Sails" by the environmental NGO Legambiente. The city has been awarded the " Blue Flag" several years for the cleanliness of its beaches and seawater. The city's economy is mostly based on agriculture and tourism, because of its 6 km-long beach (Eraclea mare).

Getting to Eraclea

The town is served by Trenitalia route from to Venice and Trieste with the closed train station in San Donà di Piave, and by bus service from Venice Marco Polo Airport and Treviso Airport to the west and south, respectively. By road, Eraclea is reachable from Venice via the A4 through San Donà di Piave to the north.

Exploring The Villas of the Brenta Canal | Venice Province

EXPLORING THE VILLAS OF THE BRENTA CANAL | VENICE PROVINCE

Malcontenta

This is an excellent bike tour or to enjoy during your visit to Venice, the start of the Riviera can be reached by taking a water bus to Fusina or the local train line stopping in Mira or Stra. This is a charming and attractive location just a few kilometers from Venice: the Brenta Riviera, a place full of artistic and cultural interest. Between the 16th and the 18th centuries, some of the most important families from Venice had their summer residences built on the Riviera that runs alongside the Brenta river, a waterway that connects Venice to Padova. There are several varied bike routes you can take based on different travel interest.

Brenta Riviera Bike Touring Map

HOW TO GET TO THE BRENTA RIVIERA

The best way to explore along the “Naviglio Brenta” is by bicycle but you can also make your way by walking and using the local buses.  The route runs from Fusina to Stra for 24 km  (one way).  It is a flat ride and popular bicycle route so cars are very usual to your presence.  There is no need to ride on the primary streets unless you wish to get over to visit a villa or shop; there are small secondary roads to follow that run parallel to the canal.  This is a safe and fun ride for all levels of cyclist and a great day of active travelling.

You will also find information about a bike path that runs from Mira to Stra. This path is gravel and best suited for a mountain bike plus it takes you north of the villages and is not a lovely ride. 

The easiest starting point for this ride is Fusina or the Mira Porta train station.  You can catch a local train between Venice and Padova that will stop at this station.  From here you can follow the bike path south to the Canal and then start your excursion

ABOUT THE BRENTA CANAL

The Naviglio Brenta or Brenta Canal that we ride along today is the result of a system of locks and swing bridges to make the canal easy to navigate.  The gates at Dolo were particularly important since they were installed around a small island to form the only boatyard along the canal.  The last lock downstream was once located at Moranzani, just before the river enter the lagoon of Fusina.  The canal was a vital commercial waterway (many famous UScanal systems were patterned after these works), that carried goods and passengers.  Barges (burchi) were pulled up-stream by horses, and gondolas and passenger boats were “poled” along the river carrying groups of aristocrats to their country houses or parties.

WHAT LIFE WAS LIKE IN THE VENETIAN VILLAS

There are thousands of country houses still standing in the Veneto and northeast Italy.  In the 15th century, after the Venetian Republic’s conquest of its “mainland” territories, The Venetian investments slowly shifted from the Orient to landholdings.  The old nobility had occupied estates throughout the provinces of Padua and Treviso as early as the 14th century, but with the change in trade routes and discovery of the New World the Republic no longer held a monopoly on trade so capital was invested into less profitable but safer investments.

The life of the villa combined two very different styles: the contemplative pleasure of the country life, observed from the humanistic standpoint of the epoch (which is why the country villa design draws upon the classical world in design), and the cultivation of the country estate itself, whose the affairs the proprietor managed in person.

Over the centuries the use of the country house went through server changes. Originally used as a gentleman’s country house in the 15th century to a Palace to show a “Bella Figura” (a good image) among their social equals.  The elegant but restrained forms of the Renaissance gave way to imposing building complexes surrounded by large parks ornamented with pavilions, fountains, statues, woods, and whatever else was the latest style of the moment.  Most of spring and summer were spent in the villas and great balls, hunting parties, and games were played.  Then as the weather cooled the owners would move back into the city, just in time to Carnival (carnival during that period lasted up to 4 months). Carlo Coldoni (a Venetian playwright) wrote a trilogy describing the villa season and in many of the 1970 – 1980 classic Italian TV movies the villa life is depicted with lots of truisms (even if they seem obscure to us today).

VILLAS YOU SHOULD VISIT

Villa Foscari known as “La Malcontenta”: via dei Turisti 9, Malcontenta di Mira. Open Tuesday and Sarturday from 0900 to 1200, all other days open on request. (Closed Monday)

Villa Widmann Rezzonico Foscari; Via Nazionale 420 Mira. Open Tuesday to Sunday from 1000 to 1800 hours, (Closed Monday), local tourism office located here.

Barchessa Alessandri AND Barchessa Valmarana; via Valmarana 11, Mira. Open from 1000 to 1600 hours, (Closed Mondays).

Villa Pisani; via Doge Pisani 7, Stra. Open Tuesday to Sunday 0900 to 1900 hours, (Closed on Monday)

Villa Foscarini-Rossi; via Doge Pisani 1/2, Stra. Open Tuesday to Sunday 0900 to 1300 and 1400 to 1800 hours, (Closed Monday) During August Closed Saturday and Sunday)

BIKE ROUTES ALONG THE BRENTA CANAL

Bike Route #1 Along the Brenta Canal | Italiaoutdoors Bike Tour

Fiesso d'Artico, Venice Province

TOWN OF FIESSO D'ARTICO IN THE PROVINCE OF VENICE

Fiesso d'Artico is a town in the province of Venice, Veneto, Italy. The town is located along the state road 11, SR11, and is part of the Riviera del Brenta. Fiesso d'Artico is almost one thousand years of official life, the town has been listed in documents dated 1025/1028. It is a village of (it has the smaller territory of the province of Venice) on the left bank of the Brenta river, halfway between Padua and Venice.

Initially, the town was called just Fiesso, from the Latin Flexum, meaning a curve formed by the river anciently called the "Medoacus" (currently known as Brenta). The second name Artico was added later on, in honour of the lawyer Angelo MariaArtico, the creator of the last great deviation of the river which was necessary to safeguard the town from floods as the breaking of the levees by the river Brenta happened very often, before.

In the past, this town was important as a religious center: it is recorded that a priest was appointed even by the bishop of Nicosia, in Cyprus, that was a dependence of the Republic of Venice, at the time. The territory was divided in two large parts inclusive of many other lands which nowadays are belonging to the other closer municipalities, such as Dolo, Stra, Vigonza. Due to the short distance from Padua, Fiesso d'Artico was involved in many wars as a result of the struggle for the succession of several lordships in that city. Finally Fiesso d'Artico was included in the Republic of Venice, in the fifteenth century.

Under the rule of the Republic of Venice, beautiful villas were built by the noble and rich Venetian merchants for their summer holidays and many of them still exist. Fiesso d'Artico was connected with Venice by a boat called the "Burchiello" through navigable river ways directly up to the Grand Canal. The citizens of Fiesso took an active role in the struggles for the independence of Veneto from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, as well as those for the liberation of Italy from Nazi-fascism during World War II.

Fiesso d'Artico is still now one of the most charming views of the Riviera del Brenta, an area known throughout the world for its beauty and richness of art. Also it is known for shoes production, particularly for women. A high percentage of citizens of Fiesso d'Artico, in fact, is engaged in this production sector which is very known abroad. This sector has grown, taking the characteristics of quality and style appreciated internationally. Today there are about 200 shoe-manufacturing units of which 100 are involved in the proper construction of shoes, while the remaining ones are engaged in activities somehow related to the footwear industry.

Island of Burano Venice, Italy

ISLAND OF BURANO

Burano Island, Venice Italy

 

Burano is an island in the Venetian Lagoon, and like Venice itself, it could more correctly be called an archipelago of four islands linked by bridges. It is situated near Torcello at the northern end of the Lagoon, and is known for its lacework and brightly coloured homes.

Burano is located about a 40 minute trip from Venice, by Venetian motorboat, "vaporetti". The island is linked to Mazzorbo by a bridge. The current population of Burano is about 2,800. Originally, there were five islands and a fourth canal that was filled to become via e piazza Baldassare Galuppi, joining the former islands of San Martino Destra and San Martino Sinistra. Burano has historically been subdivided into five sestieri, much like the historical center of Venice. They correspond to the five original islands. The sixth sestiere is neighboring Mazzorbo. Burano has a high population density, calculated at more than 13,000 per square kilometer, or more than twenty times the density of neighboring Mazzorbo. It is almost entirely covered by residential buildings, with few small green areas.

GETTING TO THE ISLAND OF BURANO

The easiest way to get to Burano is from Venice is by using the Vaporetto (water bus). The vaporetto takes around 40 minutes to reach the island. The LN line Vaporetto can be boarded at the Tre Porti, Punta Sabbioni and Fondamente Nuove stops. There is no other way to get to the island.

Burano is a fairly small island and there is only one way to move around it, by foot. There are not many places or attractions on the island to explore, the main place here is the colorful village which is very small and can be easily explored on foot. The roads here are quite narrow, in fact they are all streets and the main street here is the Calle Galuppi which is where all the shops are. Walking here is quite pleasant and enjoyable since the houses here are very charming and colorful.

HISTORY OF BURANO

The island was probably settled by the Romans, and in the 6th century was occupied by people from Altino, who named it for one of the gates of their former city. Two stories are attributed to how the city obtained its name. One is that it was initially founded by the Buriana family, and another is that the first settlers of Burano came from the small island of Buranello, about to the south. Although the island soon became a thriving settlement, it was administered from Torcello and had none of the privileges of that island or of Murano. It rose in importance only in the 16th century, when women on the island began making lace with needles, being introduced to such a trade via Venetian-ruled Cyprus. When Leonardo da Vinci visited in 1481, he visited the small town of Lefkara and purchased a cloth for the main altar of the Duomo di Milano. The lace was soon exported across Europe, but trade began to decline in the 18th century and the industry did not revive until 1872, when a school of lacemaking was opened. Lacemaking on the island boomed again, but few now make lace in the traditional manner as it is extremely time-consuming and therefore expensive.

THINGS TO SEE ON BURANO

The Colored Houses - Burano is mainly famous for two things, for its lace and its colorful houses. These houses are quite small and brightly painted and are extremely popular among the European artists. There are some famous artists who own houses here on the island including Philippe Starke. The color with which the houses have to be painted is decided through a well set up system. When anyone on the island wants to color their house they need to send a request to the government who would consider the set of approved colors for that part of the island and then approve or disapprove of a color. Because of this practice the island has different areas with different sets of charming pastel colors which have made it so distinct from the other islands.

The Church of San Martino is the only important church of the island. The church is not very large and neither is it very grand. The most noteworthy aspect of the church is its bell tower.

Museum and School of Lace Making

The museum and school of lace making was set up on the island to preserve its ancient tradition of lace making. The museum is quite small but provides some useful information on how and when the lace making tradition started on the island and quite a lot of other aspects related to it. The school of lace making teaches the women of the island the art of making lace which is quite time consuming and requires quite a lot of intricate work which is why lace is very expensive.

Calle Galuppi is the main street on the island. The street is quite charming since it is lined with shops that are painted with beautiful pastel colors like all the houses on the island. The street has quite a lot of shops, all of which sell lace. There are also a few food shops that serve traditional pastries and snacks. The street is a good place to just walk around and observe the locals. Most locals spend quite a lot of their time on this street and it is more like a center point of the island and often a place where people meet, chat and exchange news. Visitors who are interested in purchasing lace would find it in the shops located on this street.

WHERE TO STAY

Burano has no hotels or any accommodation facilities. The island is very small and has remained quite well protected from tourism. Apart from day excursions and day trips there are no visitors who stay here overnight. Since it is quite close to Venice most tourists generally stay at Venice and visit the island in the day time. Also, there aren't many places to visit on the island except for a handful. Most of these places can be easily visited in a few hours so most people do not prefer to stay here overnight.

EATING ON THE ISLAND OF BURANO

Burano does not really have restaurants, small or big. The island has a few food shops, bakeries and small shops selling coffees, breakfast items and a few light dishes. These food shops are mainly located on the main street of the island, Calle Galuppi. The main food items to try here in Burano are their local biscuits and traditional pastries which are available in almost all food shops here. The biscuits called Essi are especially very popular with the locals. These biscuits are made in the 'S' shape and are yellow in color. These biscuits are quite light and delicious and can be found in all the bakeries here.

SHOPPING ON THE ISLAND OF BURANO

The best thing to purchase here in Burano is lace. Lace is available everywhere on the island, in all shops located here. However, visitors need to be quite careful while selecting the lace since quite a lot of places sells cheap foreign lace on the island now. Also, these days lace is not made in the same traditional manner because it is very time consuming. The lace that is made today on the island is not as intricate as it used to be once. The original lace which is traditionally made is quite expensive.

Island of Murano in Venice Italy

ISLAND OF MURANO

Murano is a series of seven islands, linked by bridges, and separated by eight channels located in the Venetian Lagoon, of Venice. It lies just north of Venice and has a population of just over 5,000 (2004 figures). It is famous for its glass making. It was once an independent comune, but is now a frazione of the comune of Venice.

Murano was initially settled by the Romans and from the sixth century by people from Altinum and Oderzo. At first, the island prospered as a fishing port and through its production of salt. It was also a centre for trade through the port it controlled on Sant'Erasmo. From the eleventh century, it began to decline as islanders moved to Dorsoduro. It had a Grand Council, like that of Venice, but after the thirteenth century, Murano was ultimately governed by a podestà from Venice.
Unlike the other islands in the Lagoon, Murano minted its own coins.

Early in the second millennium hermits of the Camaldolese Order occupied one of the islands, seeking a place of solitude for their way of life. There they founded the Monastery of St. Michael. This monastery became a great center of learning and printing. The famous cartographer, Fra Mauro, whose maps were crucial to the European exploration of the world, was a monk of this community. The monastery was suppressed in 1810 by French forces under Napoleon, in the course of their conquest of the Italian peninsula, and the monks were expelled in 1814. The grounds then became Venice's major cemetery.

In 1291, all the glassmakers in Venice were forced to move to Murano due to the risk of fires. In the following century, exports began, and the island became famous, initially for glass beads and mirrors. Aventurine glass was invented on the island, and for a while Murano was the main producer of glass in Europe. The island later became known for chandeliers. Although decline set in during the eighteenth century, glassmaking is still the island's main industry. In the fifteenth century, the island became popular as a resort for Venetians, and palaces were built, but this later declined.

The countryside of the island was known for its orchards and vegetable gardens until the nineteenth century, when more housing was built. Attractions on the island include the Church of Santa Maria e San Donato (known for its twelfth-century Byzantine mosaic pavement and said to house the bones of the dragon slain by Saint Donatus), the church of San Pietro Martire with the chapel of the Ballarin family built in 1506 and artworks by Giovanni Bellini, and the Palazzo da Mula. Glass-related attractions include the many glassworks, some Mediaeval and most open to the public, and the Murano Glass Museum, housed in the large Palazzo Giustinian.

Jesolo, Venice Province

TOWN OF JESOLO IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

Jesolo (or Iesolo) is a town and comune in the province of Venice, Italy. The town lies north of Venice, between Eraclea and Cavallino-Treporti. Jesolo gives its name to a lagoon of on the Adriatic Sea between the rivers Sile and Piave. The urbanized area lies on an island of sorts, bordered by the rivers Piave (on the east) and Sile (on the west), and an artificial canal called Cavetta.

In Roman times the lagoon extended over the area now occupied by the town. There were several islands in the lagoon, the biggest of which was known as Equilium, the place of horses. It is thought that Jesolo represents a corruption of this name. Today the city's economy is mostly based on tourism. Jesolo is a famous seaside resort thanks to its abundant holiday facilities and its beach called Lido di Jesolo. At the height of its touristic life, Jesolo was hosting 6 million tourists per year. Currently these have dropped to around 4.5 million tourists per year due to the competition from new resort towns.

Mestre, Venice Province

MESTRE IN THE PROVINCE OF VENICE

The City of Mestre is the most populated urban area of the mainland of Venice, part of the territory of the city of Venice, in Veneto, northern Italy. Administratively speaking, Mestre forms (together with the nearby urban area of Carpenedo) the Municipalità di Mestre-Carpenedo, one of the six boroughs of the commune ( Comune) of Venice. Sometimes considered as frazione, it is the most populated one of Italy, counting 89,373 inhabitants.

Overview

The mainland of Venice is the territory of the city based on normal land (instead of natural or artificial islands like the most well-known parts of Venice) connected to the historical center by a long rail and road bridge over the Venetian lagoon, called Ponte della Libertà (Freedom Bridge). Since the end of World War II, Mestre had a quick and disordered urban growth, after which Mestre constitutes a vast human settlement together with the other urban centers of the Venetian mainland (Carpenedo, Marghera, Favaro Veneto, Chirignago, Zelarino, Tessera). Being Mestre the center and the most populated area of the mainland, very often in common language the toponym Mestre is used, incorrectly, to define the whole Venetian mainland. Mestre received the title of city in 1923 and maintained it briefly till 1926, when was annexed to the commune of Venice.

Mestre, previously known as the quartiere 10 Mestre centro, has around 50.000 inhabitants while the Municipalità di Mestre-Carpenedo (one of the six boroughs of the commune of Venice) has around 90.000 inhabitants, and the whole Venetian mainland (boroughs of Mestre-Carpenedo, Marghera, Chirignago-Zelarino and Favaro Veneto) has around 170.000 inhabitants. For a comparison, there are just around 60.000 inhabitants in the historic center of Venice (San Marco, Castello, Cannaregio, San Polo, Dorsoduro, Santa Croce) and just around 30.000 in the major islands of the lagoon of Venice (Lido, Pellestrina, Murano, Burano, Mazzorbo, Torcello), making a total of around 90.000 inhabitants of Venice living in the part based on islands, compared to the circa 170.000 inhabitants in the mainland.

Public transport is managed by Azienda del Consorzio Trasporti Veneziano. There are several bus routes and one tramway line. Several bus routes link mainland with piazzale Roma, the main bus station in Venice, via Ponte della Libertà a road bridge connecting the historical center of the city of Venice, that is a group of islands, to the mainland.

History

According to legends, Mestre was founded by Mesthles, a companion of the hero Antenor, a fugitive from Troy who founded Padua. The true origins of the city are uncertain, although it is known that a Roman oppidum (fortress) existed here, though this was destroyed by Attila and probably rebuilt in the 10th century. The first historical mention is from an Imperial diploma by Otto III, by which Rambald, count of Treviso, received land in the area named Mestre. In 1152 a papal bull by Pope Eugene III recognized the bishop of Treviso as lord of Mestre, citing the existence of the church of St. Lawrence, a castle and a port. In 1257 the bishops ceded it to Alberico da Romano, podestat of Treviso. The port benefited from the economic growth of Venice, constituting its main connection to the Italian mainland. In 1274 a fire destroyed the castle, and the inhabitants moved to a location nearby, Castelnuovo (new Castle). No traces remain today of the old castle.

The Scaliger family from Verona conquered Mestre and Treviso in 1323. The Venetians, fearing the excessive Veronese power in the mainland, conquered Mestre on September 29, 1337. An artificial channel was built to facilitate the transport of goods. The Venetian domination ended on July 16, 1797. In 1808 Mestre, following the French practice, constituted itself into a free commune. It remained such under the subsequent Austrian and Italian rules, receiving the title of city in 1923. Three years later, however, a Royal Decree annexed Mestre and some other neighbouring comuni (Chirignago, Zelarino and Favaro Veneto) to the comune of Venezia. Since that moment there has been several political attempts to regain independence (including four referendums of the population in 1979, 1989, 1994 and 2003) but in every case the proposals of separating Mestre (and the Venetian mainland) from Venice were rejected. In the 1960s and 1970s Mestre experienced a population boom, fuelled mainly by the construction of the nearby huge industrial district of Marghera.

Main sights
    •    Duomo of St. Lawrence (17th century)
    •    Palazzo da Re
    •    Torre dell'Orologio (Watchtower, 1108)
    •    Palazzo podestarile
    •    Provvedaria

Mirano, Venice Province

TOWN OF MIRANO IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

Mirano is located just north of Mira along one of the side canals of the Brenta system.  This is a great little town to day trip to when you are visiting Venice, or even a  nice option to staying in the city.  There is a nice bike path that runs through the city and some quiet country roads for riding or running before setting out on your day of site seeing.

Including the area between Padua, Venice and Treviso, the territory of Mirano is known for its numerous parks, villas and interesting itineraries dedicated to Giambattista and Gian Domenico Tiepolo. The surrounding Venetian countryside reveals rural and urban signs of human activities through the centuries; from the Roman urbanization with the grating, to the presence of numerous patrician houses, built by the Venetian nobility between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries that are softened with scenic parks.

The name of the town is known to be linked to that of Tiepolo, whose art adorns buildings and places of worship, including the church dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, which houses the Altarpiece of Sant'Antonio, painted by Giambattista Tiepolo. Villa Tiepolo with the famous representation of Pul, in the nearby village ofZianigo, was painted by his son Gian Domenico Cinella. The center revolves around Piazza Martiri della Libertà which is overlooked by elegant buildings, among them Villa Corner-Renier, now the town.

The complex of Molini di Sotto, a nineteenth-century mill, is mirrored in the waters of the Muson river. It is a pleasure to take a stroll a few steps from the historical center in the public parks of the seventeenth-century Villa Morosini - XXV Aprile and Belvedere. The Castel is found in front of the latter, a charming nineteenth century building with the caves of Belvedere. The charming structure was wanted by a noble Venetian according to the dictates of the late romantic style of fake ruins.

Noale, Venice Province

TOWN OF NOALE IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

A quiet town in the province of Venice, Noale occupies a flat area near the river Marzenego. The historical churches and buildings that coast the piazzas are testimony of an important past that is intertwined with the histories of Treviso and Venice.

The face of the old city center is linked to the Tempesta family, administrators of the Bishop of Treviso's assets with the position of "Avogari". During Medieval times, Noale sees the transformation of the castle into a stately residence. The defensive system based on the use of the river's water is still seen, while the village holds, in addition to the urban design of the walled city, the ancient Fortress and Castle.

Among the monuments of cultural and artistic value are the elegant Palazzo Mocenigo and Palazzo della Loggia, the military hospital of San Giorgio, the Venetian power factory ofTeson and the Church of Saint Felice and Fortunato repository of valuable works by Sansovino and Palma the Younger.

Besides the beauty of art, Noale has strong traditions. The ritual race of the Palio that sees the seven districts of the city involved and continues to be prepared for the feast of Pentecost in memory of the domination of Treviso. Another important event is Noale infiore, an event for the floriculture sector held in April and that attracts crowds.

Places to Visit in Venice

Portogruaro, Venice Province

TOWN OF PORTOGRUARO IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

Located on the main train line between Venezia (Mestrè and Trieste, Portogruaro makes is an interesting city to stop at if you are riding in the area.  There is a bike route that runs from the city to Caorle and the toward Venezia.   You can also ride north in the direction of Treviso.

History

Both the origin of the city and its name are still subject of controversy. The first known official document goes back to 1140: The Bishop of Concordia, Gervino, granted land to some merchants who wished to construct a portus - a warehouse or storage area for foreign trading. Thanks to its favorable position on the Lemene River, these export and import activities meant that by the 13th century Portogruaro was already an important trading center.

After freeing itself from the administrative hold of the Bishop of Concordia it was able to organize itself with consuls, a council and assembly under the temporal protection of the Patriarch of Aquileia. This state of affairs lasted until 1420 when Venice annexed the whole territory. Under Venetian dominion, Portogruaro grew and many bridges, houses, streets and palaces were built. They reflect the essential agricultural and trading interests of the inhabitants. Portogruaro reached the height of its splendor during the 15th and 16th centuries. Its decline as a trading center was due to competition from Trieste as a port for goods going to Germany.

After the fall of Venice, new provincial borders were established by Napoleon and Portogruaro was assigned to Friuli. After the Treaty of Campo Formio, signed by the French and the Austrians in 1798, it was included in the Province of Venice, and in 1835 it assumed the status of a city. Amidst fluctuating fortunes, Portogruaro remained part of Austria until 1866. But economic conditions were fairly stagnant and its river trade began to decline. The latter ceased completely when the Venice-Portogruaro railway was opened in 1886. The main productive activity left was agriculture. Although practiced in a rather primitive fashion because of a lack of means, by the beginning of the twentieth century some industrial and commercial innovations were being made.

After the Second World War, Portogruaro's socio-economic conditions improved with a healthy growth in all productive, social and cultural fields.

A walk through the city

The most striking features of Portogruaro are its Medieaval typology - signs of a feudal past - and the presence of palaces from the Venetian period. Its walls and colonnades encouraged trade and social exchanges as did its important position between the rivers Reghena and Lemene.

The city is entered through the 13th-century Porta di San Giovanni, formerly known as the "gate of the band" or the "gate of San Lazzaro" because of a nearby hospice for lepers. The gate was rebuilt in the mid 16th century (1555-56). Beyond it lies the 14th-century Church of San Giovanni, which deserves a close look. It has a valuable Madonna with Child (15th century) and an altarpiece by Leandro da Ponte (16th century) and a frescoed ceiling by Jandrea Urbani (18th century).

Inside the city, the main thorough-fare, Corso Martiri, leads to Piazza della Repubblica with its 14th-century Town Hall (1372-1380). This brick Gothic building has sloping crenellated roofs, and a high-angled outside stairway and a small domed bell-tower. In 1512, Giovanni Baffo added two impressive wings to the building. At the foot of this typical communal town hall six 16th-century marble blocks can be seen. Known as the Testoni, they depict six heads (testa is Italian for head) in Istrian stone and may well have been the foundations of a bridge.

Alongside the Town Hall is the Pozzetto, a well whose head was built by Giovanni Antonio Pilacorte (1494). It is also known as the Pozzetto delle Gru (The Well of the Cranes). Cranes became an emblem of Portogruaro. There is a collection of them, which was sculpted by the Portogruaro artist Valentino Truchetto (1906-1965). Behind the Town hall stands the Pescheria (Fish Market). The loggia and small oratory were both built by Carole Fishermaen - clear evidence of the city's history as a port. Next we come to one of the most typical and picturesque parts of Portogruaro, the Mulini. Standing over the river Lemene, these mills were built by Bishop Antonio Felotti in 1477 and restored in 1980-81. The Duomo di Sant'Andrea was built on the site of a 12th-century church. It houses a number of 16th- and 17th-century works of various artists: an anonymous Venetian, Gregorio Lazzarini, the School of Palma Giovane, Giovanni Martini, Pampanio Amalteo, Pietro Damiani and Stefano Dall'Arzere. Outside is a fine leaning Romanesque Belltower. After visiting the cathedral it is worth wandering the streets to savor the atmosphere in the preserved center of town with its elegant palaces and mixture of Gothic and Renaissance architecture.

In addition to the usual medieval structures typical of Veneto cities there is also a strong Venetian influence. This can be seen in the fine frescoed façades and in the whole structure of the historic center with its long arcades whose arches, unlike other Venetian towns, are sharply angled. Going along Via Martiri, on the left-hand side we may admire three Palaces - Muschietti, Moreo and Delle Imposte (16th century). They are a harmonious combination of Gothic and Renaissance elements. On the right is a 16th-century house, embellished with cipolin columns and Romanesque-Byzantine capitals. Further down on the left stands one of the finest palaces in Portogruaro: Palazzo De Gotzen (15th-16th century), with its three Gothic arches and two orders of windows in various styles. Palazzo Dal Moro (14th-15th century) is a similar kind of building whose façade is enhanced by a three-light window and a two-light window along with terracotta work and sculptures.

At the Porta San Gottardo, in addition to the 15th-century reconstruction of an even older gate, known as the gate of San Francesco, a 20-meter stretch of the city walls may also be admired. The Villa Comunale, built in the 16th century by Guglielmo di Alzano, is an elegant Renaissance-style building with a three-arched stone-columned porch, a large corner balcony and an open loggia. Alongside these structures sits the Oratory of Sant'Ignazio (1682) and opposite the latter, Palazzo Marzotto (16th century), an interesting building with frescoes of mythological scenes. The nearby Palazzo Venanzio, (16th century) is in Renaissance style while the Church of San Luigi (12th century) has some fresco fragments and walls dating back to earlier than the 11th century. A visit to Via Cavour is also rewarding: the careful observer will note and admire how the impressive Gothic style of the arcades blends remarkably well with the Renaissance upper floors of the buildings along this street.

Lastly I suggest visiting the oldest gate in the city, Porta di San Agnese, which now stands outside the present city walls along with some of the former wall and even a small tower. Also not to be missed is the Church of Sant'Agnese (15th century), which has a fine terracotta Pieta and traces of 16th-century frescoes on the façade. After having seen so many architectural and artistic sights which attest to the city's rich heritage a visit to the National Archaeologiacal Museum is a must. The museum houses local finds from Roman and Early Christian times, especially from the nearby Roman city of Concordia. Only four kilometers from Portogruaro the old and picturesque Abbey of Summaga (early 11th century) is also well worth a visit. The church itself has a Basilica plan with a nave and two aisles and apse. It contains precious 11th and 12th century frescos depicting the Redemption, Eve, Abraham, the Crucifixion, Christ on the Throne and prophetic, evangelical and biblical scenes. The (16th-century) exterior also includes various fragments from Roman and Early Medieval times. In short, there is a great deal to be discovered in this famous old abbey.

Around the city

While wandering through the historic entrance to admire past glories, it should be kept in mind that Portogruaro is also a typical Veneto town engaged in agricultural and industrial activities. The town can thus offer the visitor other points of interest in less well-known places that may also satisfy a desire for peace and quiet. Beyond the historic center lies the open countryside neatly arranged with scattered farms and broken up by a dense network of charming wide canals used for agricultural purposes.

Traveling through this countryside it is obvious that the old dependence on the rivers and the sea is still very much a part of life today, especially along the two main rivers, the Lemene and the Livenza. The scenery round Portogruaro is romantic and charming. To the north two streams, which eventually form the Lemene, wind their way through the town. The river port with its many watermills creates a quaint atmosphere in the historic center enticing visitors to stroll throughout the surroundings.

Cultural Events and Folk Traditions

February: CARNIVALE

July/August: GOLDONI FESTIVAL IN THE VILLA COMUNALE

July: CONCERT BY THE ORCHESTRA OF THE FENICE

July: MODERN BALLET FESTIVAL

November: SERIES OF CONCERTS ORGANIZED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE ST. CECILIA MUSIC ASSOCIATION

San DonĂ  di Piave, Venice Province

TOWN OF SAN DONA DI PIAVE IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

San Donà di Piave is a city and comune of province of Venice, Veneto Region of northern Italy. It has been one of the historical main towns of the Eastern Veneto territory and was totally reconstructed in the early 1920s after being heavily damaged during the World War I. San Donà lies along the Piave river and is bordered by the communes of Noventa di Piave, Musile di Piave and Fossalta di Piave.  These towns have almost become a single urban area, also known as Città del Piave. As well, San Donà borders the territories of Jesolo, Eraclea, Ceggia, Torre di Mosto, Cessalto and Salgareda.

Main sights

  • Duomo of Blessed Virgin Mary (19th century, rebuilt after the World War I)
  • Church of Saint Charles in Chiesanuova
  • Villa Ancillotto and its ornamental historical park (18th–20th centuries)
  • Museo della Bonifica (Land Reclamation Museum)
  • Galleria Civica d'Arte Moderna e Contemporanea (City Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art)
  • Parco della Scultura in Architettura (Park of Sculpture in Architecture)

Travel Guide to the Lido di Venezia

LIDO DI VENEZIA

Lido di Venice, Italy

The Lido — or Venice Lido (Lido di Venezia), is an long sandbar in the Lagoon of Venice, northern Italy; it is home to about 20,000 residents. The Venice Film Festival takes place at the Lido every September. The island is home to three settlements. The Lido itself, in the north, is home to the Film Festival, the Grand Hotel des Bains, the Venice Casino and the Grand Hotel Excelsior. Malamocco, in the centre, was the first and, for a long time, the only settlement. It was at one time home to the Doge of Venice. Alberoni at the southern end is home to the golf course.

Frequent public buses run the length of the island along the main street. At least half the Adriatic side of the island is a sandy beach, much of it belonging to the various hotels that house the summer tourists. These include the renowned Excelsior and the Des Bains, setting for Thomas Mann's classic novel Death in Venice, currently undergoing major renovation. These beaches are private, though towards the northern and southern ends of the island there are two enormous public beaches. The Adriatic Sea is fairly clean and warm, ideal for children, with only the occasional jellyfish to disturb swimming.

The heart of the island is the Gran Viale Santa Maria Elisabetta, a wide street approximately 700 m long that leads from the lagoon and vaporetto (water bus) stop on one side across to the sea on the other. It houses hotels, shops, and tourist-centric restaurants. Venezia Lido, a public airport suitable for smaller aircraft, is found on the NE end of Lido di Venezia. It has a 1000 m grass runway.

In 1177, Emperor Frederick Barbarossa and Pope Alexander III signed the Treaty of Venice here following Frederick's defeat at the Battle of Legnano in 1176. In 1202, at the beginning of the Fourth Crusade, it was used as a camp by tens of thousands of crusaders, who were blockaded there by the Venetians when they could not pay for the Venetian ships they needed for transport. In 1857, the first sea bathing facility was set up. This was the first time that anything like it had been seen in Europe and soon, the lido became "The Lido", a byword for a beach resort. The Lido's success and the fascination of Venice nearby made the Lido famous worldwide. Lido was also famous for its brothels in the first half of the 20th century. Major beach facilities, hotels and private summer villas have remained the heart of an island that is still known as the "Golden Island". In the 1960s, the improving post-war Italian economy created a real-estate boom in the island, and many Venetians moved to Lido to benefit from its modern infrastructure.

 

Lido di Venezia Map

GETTING TO LIDO DI VENEZIA

Water connections between the Lido and all the near-by cities are very easy. The Lido can also be reached by bus and by private car on the ferries that leave from Piazzale Roma and Punta Sab­bioni; and it is served by a tourist airport that is also used for very popular air shows.

Lido also reserves other surprises like the ancient monastery of San Nicolò, the monumental and historical centre of the island and the hamlet of Malomocco, a small Venice with streets, squares and houses that lean on each other. This place is also filled with the wonder of landscapes, including the WWF protected oasis of the dunes of Alberoni and of course the Lagoon with its stunning scenery.

Summer holidays on the island of Lido also means sports and fun, with its numerous facilities dedicated to a number of sports including the famous golf course at Alberoni, one of the most beautiful and oldest in Italy.

WHAT TO SEE ON LIDO DI VENEZIA

Marconi promenade and beaches
Beach facilities
Palazzo del CInema
Grand Hotel Excelsior
Hotel des Bains
Old Jewish Cemetery
Malamocco
Murazzi (sea walls)

WHAT TO DO ON LIDO DI VENEZIA

  • Beaches of the Lido di Venezia
  • Bike Touring Lido di Venezia
  • Golf on Lido di Venezia (Golf Venezia)
  • Swimming on Lido di Venezia (Piscina Comunale)
  • Running on Lido di Venezia
  • Sailing on Lido di Venezia (Velica Lido)
  • Rowing on Lido di Venezia (Canottieri Diadora)
  • Horse back Riding on Lido di Venezia (Circolo Ippico San Marco)

Venetian Lagoon

THE VENETIAN LAGOON

The Venetian Lagoon is the enclosed bay of the Adriatic Sea in which the city of Venice is located. The Venetian Lagoon stretches from the River Sile in the north to the Brenta River in the south. It is around 8% land, including the city of Venice itself and many smaller islands. About 11% is permanently covered by open water, or canal, as the network of dredged channels are called, while around 80% consists of mud flats, tidal shallows and salt marshes. The lagoon is the largest wetland in the Mediterranean Basin. It is connected to the Adriatic Sea by three inlets: the Lido, Malamocco and Chioggia inlets. Sitting at the southern end of the Gulf of Venice, the lagoon is subject to high variations in water level, the most extreme being the spring tides known as Aqua Alta (Italian for "high water"), which regularly flood much of Venice.

The Lagoon of Venice is the most important survivor of a system of estuarine lagoons that in Roman times extended from Ravenna north to Trieste. In the sixth century, the Lagoon gave security to Romanised people fleeing invaders (mostly the Huns). Later, it provided naturally protected conditions for the growth of the Venetian Republic and its maritime empire. It still provides a base for a seaport, the Venetian Arsenal, and for fishing, as well as a limited amount of hunting and the newer industry of fish farming.

The Lagoon was formed about six to seven thousand years ago, when the marine transgression following the Ice Age flooded the upper Adriatic coastal plain. Depositing of river sediments compensated for the sinking coastal plain, and coast-wise current drift, from the mouth of the Po river, tended to close tidal inlets with sand bars.

The present aspect of the Lagoon is due to human intervention. In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, Venetian hydraulic projects to prevent the lagoon from turning into a marsh reversed the natural evolution of the Lagoon. Originally many of the Lagoon’s islands were marshy, but a gradual programme of drainage rendered them habitable. Many of the smaller islands are entirely artificial, while some areas around the seaport of the Mestre are also reclaimed islands. The remaining islands are essentially dunes, including those of the coastal strip (Lido, Pellestrina and Treporti).

Venice Lagoon has been inhabited since ancient times, but it was only during and after the fall of the Roman Empire in the West that many people, coming from the Venetian mainland, settled in a number large enough to found the city of Venice. Today, the main cities inside the lagoon are Venice and Chioggia. The Lido di Venezia and Pellestrina are inhabited as well, but they are part of Venice. However, the most part of the inhabitants of Venice, as well as its economic core, its airport and its harbor, stand on the western border of the lagoon, around the former towns of Mestre and Marghera. At the northern end of the lagoon, there is the town of Jesolo, a famous sea resort; and the town of Cavallino-Treporti.

The Venice Lagoon is almost entirely within the borders of the Province of Venice, but the south-western area is part of the Province of Padua. The largest islands or archipelagos by area, excluding coastal reclaimed land and the coastal barrier beaches are:

  • Venice 
  • Sant'Erasmo
  • Murano
  • Chioggia
  • Giudecca
  • Mazzorbo
  • Torcello
  • Sant'Elena
  • La Certosa
  • Burano
  • Tronchetto
  • Sacca Fisola
  • San Michele
  • Sacca Sessola
  • Santa Cristina

Other inhabited islands include:

  • Cavallino
  • Lazzaretto Nuovo
  • Lazzaretto Vecchio
  • Lido di Venezia
  • Pellestrina
  • Poveglia
  • San Clemente
  • San Francesco del Deserto
  • San Giorgio in Alga
  • San Giorgio Maggiore
  • San Lazzaro degli Armeni
  • Santa Maria della Grazia
  • San Pietro di Castello
  • San Servolo
  • Santo Spirito
  • Sottomarina
  • Vignole

Venice Province Bike Touring Routes

BIKE TOURING THE VENICE PROVINCE | VENETO REGION

Bike Touring Venice Italy

The Province of Venice is flat and offers several sign posted bike routes, and the Province has projects to offer more routes in the future.  There is no bike riding in the city of Venice (Venezia) itself, and if you are traveling through the city do not be tempted to ride in the streets, or you will get ticketed.  Only in Piazzale Roma and on the Giudecca is bicycle riding allowed.  You will also find it hard to take an assembled bicycle onto the waterbuses during busy times or if you are moving from within the city to the outer islands. It is getting better at certain stops, but it really depends on who is taking the tickets aboard the boat.  Only from Tronchetto can you get a ferry over to the Lido di Venezia and other Islands. . 

The Map below shows some of the best rides in the Venice (Venezia) Province.

venezia province bike map

BIKE TOUR ROUTES IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

  1. Lido di Venezia:  Nice day ride for anyone wanting to escape the craziness of the city.
  2. Treponti and Cavallino:  The province has established two or three bike routes along the canals. 
  3. Riveria del Brenta:  Ride along the Brenta Canal to see the Villas of the Old Venice Empire. There were at one time 3-5 varied routes some of the sign posting is still up, but it is difficult to find the itinerary's.
  4. Venice to Caorle: Nice day route to Caorle and back.
  5. Piave Bike Route:  Follow the Piave river into or from the Treviso province. 
  6. Caorle  to Grado - Regional bike route that takes you Caorle to the sea side resort of Grado in Friuli Venezia Guilia Region.
  7. Mirano and Noale: Ride along canals and through farmland to discover the lands of the painter Tiepoli and the Roman settlement of Noale.
  8. Chiaggio and Isole Verde: Ride through the delta of the Adige River.
  9. Chiaggio to Ferrara:This is a classic bike route that links into the "Destra Po" (Right of the Po) bike route. 

 

Venice Province in the Veneto Region of Italy

PROVINCE OF VENICE IN THE VENETO REGION

Venice Italy, San Marks Square Doge's Palace

The Province of Venice (Provincia di Venezia) is one of the 7 provinces in the Veneto region of northern Italy. Its capital is the city of Venice.  It has an area of 2,467 km², and a total population of about 846,962. The Province of Venice is bordered by the Province of Padova and Province of Treviso of the Veneto region, the Province of Udine of the Friuli Venezia Region, and the Adriatic Sea. You can see by looking on a map the Venezia Province is completely flat. The lagoon and much of the surrounding area is a delta formed by the Brenta River, Piave River, Livenza River, and Tagliamento River. The Venice Province is about 2,459 sq. km in size and has 43 individuals townships, and is the capital of the province and Veneto region is the city of Venice.

The Brenta and Livenza rivers flow through the province, as well as the Piave River before they flow into the Adriatic Sea or the Venetian Lagoon. The Brenta River was diverted south to Chioggia in the 16th century, when a long canal was built from the village of Stra to the Adriatic Sea, bypassing Venetian lagoon. A branch of the Brenta, named Naviglio Brenta, was left to connect the cities of Venice and Padua. The canal runs through the villages of Stra, Fiesso d'Artico, Dolo, Mira, Oriago and Malcontenta to Fusina in the north-east.

In areas bordering the Friuli Venezia Region, it is estimated that 29% of the population speaks fluent Friuli. The province offers a number of other interesting sites including Caorle on the Adriatic Sea with its narrow streets, coloured houses and cylindrical bell tower, and Jesolo, with its long sandy beach, tourist attractions and nightlife. The second largest town in the province, Chioggia, on the southern side of the Venetian Lagoon, includes canals, bridges and mansions as well as the St Felice Castle and Piazza di Vigo.

PLACES TO VISIT IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

Visiting the city of Venice is a must on everyone's Italian list, however do not miss getting outside of the city and exploring.  To understand the history of the old Venezia Republic and the development of western Europe traveling in the Venice Province is a must.  

Places to Visit in the Venice Province

ACTIVE VACATION IDEAS IN THE VENICE PROVINCE

TRAVEL IDEAS AND THINGS TO EXPLORE

FOOD AND WINE OF THE VENICE PROVINCE

Where to Eat in the Venice Province

History of the Venice Province

The area was settled by 11th century BC. According to legend, Antenor fled from Troy, leading the people of Eneti from Paphlagonia to inhabit the shores of the Adriatic. In 102 B.C., The Romans defeated the Cimbri and the Germanic tribes in the area, thus increasing their influence in the region to form the Regio X Venetia et Histria. The exact date when Venice was established in unknown, but about 570 refugees from the hinterland, especially from Aquileia, fled to the islands of the Venetian Lagoon in order to escape the frequent barbaric invasions. At that time, the territory of the province was part of the Byzantine Empire, belonging to the Exarchate of Ravenna. Over the centuries, Venice became more independent and in 697 it had its first Doge. With the destruction of Eracliana in 805, the capital was moved to Rialto (Venice). In the Middle Ages, Venice became an important maritime republic, completely independent from Byzantium, and began its expansion into the hinterland. In 1260, the Ezzelini family were defeated. Threatened by the expansionist ambitions of the Visconti of Milan, in 1365, Venice began to invade neighbouring territories. By 1410, the Regio X Venetia et Histria had annexed Padua and Verona, and by the 16th century the republic included territories from the Julian Alps to Crema, Istria, Dalmatia, Cyprus and part of the Peloponnese. In 1797, Napoleon invaded the Republic and, following the Treaty of Campo Formio, it was ceded to Austria. After the final defeat of Napoleon, the Austrian Empire founded a province of Venice on the Adriatic.

Villa Foscari (La Malcontenta) Palladio Villa near Venice

THE VILLA FOSCARI IN THE TOWN OF MALCONTENTA, VENICE PROVINCE

Villa Foscari is a patrician villa in Mira, near Venice, northern Italy, designed by the Italian architect Andrea Palladio. It is also known as La Malcontenta which means can mean unsatisfied or those who do not follow the law.  It is believed that the nickname was received when the spouse of one of the Foscaris was locked up in the house because she allegedly didn't live up to her conjugal duty. Another version says it comes from bandits that hide in the swamps in the area.

Architecture

The villa was commissioned by the brothers Nicolo and Luigi Foscari, members of a patrician Venetian family that produced Francesco Foscari, one of Venice's most noted doges. It was built between 1558 and 1560. It is located beside the Brenta canal and is raised on a pedestal, which is characteristic of Palladio's villas; this pedestal is more massive than most of Palladio's villas (the base is 11 feet high, more than twice the height Palladio normally used) because it was not possible to construct a subterranean basement on the site. The villa lacks the agricultural buildings which were an integral part of some of the other Palladian villas. It was used for official receptions, such as that given for Henry III of France in 1574.

Interior

The interior of the villa is richly decorated with frescoes by Battista Franco and Giambattista Zelotti. Mythological scenes from Ovid alternate with allegories of the Arts and Virtues. As at other Palladian villas, the paintings reflect villa life in, for example, Astraea showing Jove the pleasures of the Earth. The frescoes have dulled over time, signs of the increasing threat that air pollution poses to works of art.

Robert Byron visited the villa in 1933 and afterwards wrote that Albert Clinton Landsberg had, nine years earlier, found the villa "at the point of ruin, doorless and windowless, a granary of indeterminate farm-produce, and had made it a habitable dwelling. In 1973, Antonio Foscari (a descendant of the Foscari lineage) and his wife, Barbara del Vicario, recovered the villa, and have undertaken a painstaking process of restoring the villa to its original grandeur. In 2012 Foscari wrote of the villa's renaissance. Since 1996 the building has been conserved as part of the World Heritage Site "City of Vicenza and the Palladian Villas of the Veneto". Official Today, the villa is open to the public for visits on a limited basis.

Villa's Along the Brenta Canal

VILLAS OF THE BRENTA CANAL

Brenta Canal Map of the Villas

The spread of the aristocratic villas along the course of the Brenta from Malcontenta to Stra was a phenomenon that was a sign of the power of Venice for a couple of centuries between 1500 and 1700.It showed the propensity of its ruling class for the most lavish theatricality even in its moment of decline. So it fell with a blaze of magnificence. The area was not only chosen for its rural amenities although they were in any case a fund of resources.

The Brenta river was used as a commercial waterway by the Venetian Republic for trade. Used both by day and even by night, with the use of torches and lanterns, great boats, barges and row boats, and any kind of wooden craft was laden to the brim with merchandise. From the mainland there was flour, legumes, gravel, hay, wines, calves and goats, and from Venice spices, cloths, oils, soap, glass, books and fish. Another cargo as unusual as it was precious was the water of the Brenta. The water was transported in watertight barges for the Venetians whose fields were of saltwater. Before the Brenta of the villas this was the Brenta of the wayside inns where it was possible to eat and lodge for the night.  There were posting stations and 'locks' as the boats were raised or with the water-level on the way upstream or down.

By the end of 1400, to have a villa on the banks of the river and to enjoy the summer season with friends and relations or Vip strangers was a great status symbol. Renowned architects and famous painters were hired, like Andrea Palladio, Count Fringimelica, Scamozzi, Longhena, Tiepolo, and Zais, to design and decorate the homes. Many of the country villa's visual impact, including its lodges and gardens, were designed to merge the natural beauty harmoniously with the architectural features.

The Riviera del Brenta offers several thematic itineraries to discover the natural beauty and cultural richness of the area, besides the world famous villas along the Brenta River. An interesting possibility is that of exploring the Riviera starting from its ten small towns, with their different atmospheres. Campagna Lupia, with the archaeological museum hosted in the church of St Maria di Lugo and the oasis of Valle Averto, the monumental square. An evocative image of the Squero Monumentale - Monumental Boatyard - in Dolo, the nineteenth century 'Bridge of vases' at Campolongo Maggiore, Villa Recanati Zucconi at Fiessod'Artico, the kiln at Sandon di Fossò, the beautiful Villa dei Leoni at Mira are just some examples of the hidden jewels one can meet visiting the Riviera's towns.

follow us

Resources

General

  • About Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Privacy Policy

Newsletter