CURON VENOSTA | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE
Curon Venosta - Graun im Vinschgau, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy. Curon Venosta lies at the northwest corner of the province, at the junction Italy - Austria - Switzerland, and is the third largest comune in South Tyrol.
The municipality of Curon is often mistakenly called "Resia" (Reschen), due to the greater popularity of this village. In its territory is the Resia Lake (area 660 hectares), an artificial lake which submerged the old town, rebuilt further upstream in 1950. In the territory of Curon is also located the meteorological station of San Valentino alla Muta, officially recognized by the World Meteorological Organization.
In the year 15 BC the Celtic people who lived in the Val Venosta fell under the dominion of the Romans, who built the first commercial and military communication line through the Reschenpass naming it Via Claudia Augusta, which in the Middle Ages was called "Via Superiore" (Oberer Weg or Schwabenweg) and connected Italy to Germany. After 450 AD the first evangelizers reached the Adige Valley. In the Middle Ages a large community from Germany settled in the upper Val Venosta.
The remains of Old Graun (the medieval center) are now at the bottom of Lake Resia, an artificial lake created in 1950 to generate electricity. Except for the church tower, all buildings on the eastern edge of the valley were demolished, the village was rebuilt and the population resettled. The steeple of St. Peter's, which rises out of the lake today, is the only remnant of Alt-Graun.
FISHING IN THE VENOSTA VALLEY
Where to Fish in Venosta Valley
The Merano Fishing Association regulates the fishing licenses for the Venosta Valley. There are several areas to fish in the Venosta Valley, from the outlet of S. Valentino Lake to Tell/Toell village with several side streams, and the 7km stretching along the Passirio river in Merano/Meran. There are more than 150km of fishing spots in the area of Venosta Valley.
The northernmost area around Resia Lake retains its own fishing rights. In adjacent S. Valentino Lake, one of the most beautiful natural lakes in the Alpine region, fishermen can also find a place to cast their lines free of care. For fishing in S. Valentino Lake, a fishing license type B or D as well as a fishing card for the day will be required. You can purchase the daily card directly at the boathouse at Fischerhäuser/Casa dei Pescatori, at Alpenrose Inn, or at Bakery Angerer in the village center of St. Valentin a.d.H./S. Valentino alla Muta.
In the Venosta Valley you are fishing for veined trout, river trout, rainbow trout, brook trout and grayling. Smaller fish species can be found in the mountain lakes.
A national Italian fishing license costs 35€ and is valid for 10 years. The license can be bought at the Fishing Shop in Castelbello/Kastelbell, village center Castelbello: Tel +39 0473 624466
GRAUN IM VINSCHGAU | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE
Graun im Vinschgau, Bolzano Province, in theTrentino Alto Adige Region, located northwest of Bolzano, on the border with Austria and Switzerland.Graun im Vinschgau borders the following municipalities: Mals, Kaunertal (Austria), Nauders (Austria),Pfunds (Austria), Sölden (Austria), Ramosch (Switzerland), Sent (Switzerland), and Tschlin (Switzerland). The village borders Lake Reschen, deepened and extended when the valley was dammed in order to produce hydro-electricity. The original town can no longer be visited, having been abandoned by the time of the dam's completion in July 1950. Graun was rebuilt on the new shores. The ancient half-submerged bell-tower has become a landmark, and is the centrepiece of the commune's coat of arms.
History of the township
In 15 BC the Celtic people then living in the upper Venosta (Vinschgau) valley found themselves incorporated into the Roman Empire following the construction of a commercial and military route crossing the Alps via what is now known as the Reschen Pass, the route then being called the " Via Claudia Augusta". The transalpine route retained its importance through the medieval period, renamed as the "Upper Way" ("Oberer Weg"/"Via Superiore") or the "Swabia Road" ("Schwabenweg"/"Via di Svevia"). After 450 a wave of Christian missionaries arrived from Chur. By the time of the Black death (1348), from which most of the population of the time died, most of the Vinschgau Valley, including Graun, had been settled by German speakers. The exception being the side valley of Müstair, where the Romansh language survives to this day. German has remained the majority language in Graun since and as of 2011 German was the first language for more than 97% of its population.
LARA | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE
Lara or Laas, Bolzano Province, in the region of Trentino Alto Adige in northern Italy, located about 40 km west of the city of Bolzano. The township sits in the Venosta (Vinschgau) Valley were there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy year round.
Laas is known for the pure white marble quarried in the mountains south of the village which has been used in buildings world-wide, including the Victoria Memorial, London. Laas stands on one of the largest conical rock slides in the Alps, known as Gadriamure, which emerges from the narrow valley above the village of Allitz. This fan shaped field may have been created by the collapse of a mountain above the present Gadriatal. The fan of rock blocks the main valley Vinschgau and displaces the River Etsch to it's southern edge, The river has cut out a groge and revealed buried logs 7300 years old the valley now supports irrigated fruit orchards.
A great way to explore the valley is on the VENOSTA BIKE PATH
MERANO | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE
Merano - Meran, Province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, Italy, Merano - Meran is probably best known as a spa resort, the second biggest city of the province (after Bozen-Bolzano) and located inside a basin, surrounded by mountains (1500-3335 m), at the entrance to the Passeiertal-Val Passiria, the Vinschgau-Val Venosta and the Ultental-Val d'Ultimo valleys. In the past, this idyllic town has been a popular place of residence for many famous scientists and doctors, who appreciated the mild, Mediterranean climate and the healthy air.
Meran was the capital of the Tyrol county from 1418 to 1848. When Friedrich IV moved the court to Innsbruck in 1420, Merano quickly lost its predominant position and its importance as an economic hub. Only the Tyrolean struggle for freedom of 1809 drew a lot of attention again: on the Küchelberg above Meran the Tyroleans eked out a victory against the French and the Bavarians.
HISTORY OF MERANO
Once the home of the ancient Retic tribes, then an important transit centre, later a fortified Medieval town, Merano was chosen as capital of the then Tyrol region from the thirteenth century on and also administrative centre of the Burgraviate area stretching from Tel at the opening of the Venosta valley to Gargazzone in the Adige valley. The town retained its title as capital even when the new Counts of Tyrol moved their administration offices and the civic mint to Innsbruck in the fifteenth century but, then no longer politically nor economically important, Merano then later became simply a popular residential centre for the Tyrolean nobility who chose to build their sumptuous residences here in the sixteenth century. During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries many refugees from the Grigioni area arrived in Merano to escape from religious persecution in their homeland. The nineteenth century marked the rebirth of the town when some of the local doctors together with an attentive town administration proposed Merano as a health spa and it soon became one of the most popular resorts in Central Europe. 324 metres above sea level, protected by the mountains from the cold north, the town has a delightfully mild climate and, soon, Hapsburg, Prussian, English, French and Russian nobility and aristocracy graced the resort with their presence.
Luxurious hotels and elegant public buildings were to be seen everywhere and it seemed that nothing could go wrong until the First World War broke out in 1914 and everything came to a temporary halt. It was necessary to re-promote the town between the two wars but the discovery of the health-giving radio-active waters at Monte San Vigilio helped until,once again, development was interrupted by the start of the Second World War. Merano has slowly regained its name as a health spa and tourist centre in recent years. Its elegant buildings and beautiful gardens and parks help make the town truly unique in the whole Alpine region.
Merano boasts some of the most beautiful examples Liberty-style buildings in the whole SudTirol Area:
- The Civic Theatre, dedicated to the famous composer Puccini, was designed in 1900 by Martin Düfler.
- The Post Office Bridge with its wonderfully ornate Liberty-style golden railings was built in 1906 and recently restored in 1993.
- The Kurhaus, a magnificent building, designed by Vienna architect Friedrich Ohmann in 1914, is, without doubt, the loveliest example of Liberty-style architecture in the entire Alpine region. The great hall holds over 1,000 people and is equipped to host international congresses, conferences, exhibitions and concerts.. The adjacent elegant Pavillon des Fleurs, built in 1874, has seating for 300.
After World War I, Merano became part of Italy with the rest of the Alto Adige, but unlike Bolzano the plans of the fascist regime to assimilate the German speaking citizens by settling a majority of citizens from other parts of the Italian kingdom failed because of skillful negotations of the city administration led by Baron Marcart. After 1945, it became one of the main tourist sites in the region.
VENOSTA VALLEY | TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE
The Vinschgau (medieval: Finsgowe) or Vinschgau Valley is the upper part of the Etsch or Adige river valley, in the western part of theprovince of Bolzano in the Trentino Alto Adige Region of Italy.
The valley runs in a west-east orientation, between the Reschen Pass and Merano. Due to a rather warm climate and a lack of rain (400mm per year), the apple orchards throughout the valley are irrigated. According to the 2001 census, 96.51% of the population of the valley speak German, 3.41% Italian and 0.08% Ladin as first language.
Towns along the Venosta (Vinschgau) Valley
Vinschgau - is also the name of a district, in which the 13 municipalities of the valley cooperate. These municipalities are:
Graun im Vinschgau
Prad am Stilfser Joch
Schlanders (district capital)
Taufers im Münstertal