BIKE TOURING THE ITALIAN ALPS
Bike Touring in the Italian Alps offers some of Europes most spectualr rides. Classic bike climbs that all cyclist strive to ride at sometime. A great adventure vacation can be enjoyed riding just on the Italian side of the Alps or using the Passes to move from one country to the next.
WHEN TO BIKE TOUR THE ITALIAN ALPS
The best time to ride the Alps is during the months of July and August, you can also ride in late May, June, September, and sometimes early November depending on snow fall. Most smaller roads are not always kept open during the winter months, example being Passo Stelvio.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR A BIKE TRIP IN THE ITALIAN ALPS
When you are planning your bike tour to the Italian Alps remember that weather can always change and should have multi layered kit. The best way to tour the Alps is to have a support vehicle so you can dress up and down as needed. There are also fewer water sources along the rodes so two bottles on the bike is a must and look for places fill up when you finish one bottle.
You should ride your own bike for the best comfort. Most cyclist will be most comfortable riding a compac with 12-29 on the rear cog, but a triple with a 28 on the back can be nice. Most of the climbs are around 20 km or more, the grade is not as steep as riding in the Italian Dolomites. Riders is not the best shape should consider Mountain Bike gearing there are some many great climbs to enjoy and you do not have to pound every day out.
WHERE TO BASE YOURSELF TO BIKE TOUR THE ALPS
The Alps of Italy are located in the Piedmont Region, Lombardy Region, Trentino Alto Adige Region, and the Veneto Region. Small portions of the Liguria Region and Fruili Venezia Region also touch the Alps.
Many bike tour operates combine rides in the Dolomites and Passo Stelvio, but this one touches a few of the great rides. Staying in Bolzano lets you ride 5 to 6 great passes. Bormio is a great place to base yourself for 4 to 5 days of great rides.
CYCLE ROUTES IN THE ITALIAN ALPS
- Bike Tour Colle Fauniera (Colli Pantani) in the Italian Alps
- Bike Tour Italy's Passo del Rombo Riding the Climb from St Leonhardo
- Bike Tour Italy's Passo di Monte Giovo Riding the Climb from San Leonardo in Passiria
- Bike Tour Monte Crostis in the Italian Alps
- Bike Tour Passo dello Spluga in the Italian Alps
- Bike Tour Passo di Gavia in the Italian Alps
- Bike Tour Passo di Giacomo in the Italian Alps
- Bike Tour Passo Mortirolo Riding the Climb from Mazzo
- Bike Tour Passo Palade in the Italian Alps
- Bike Touring Passo Stelvio in the Alps of Italy