TOWN OF VO IN THE PROVINCE OF PADOVA
Vò is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Padua in the Italian Veneto region, located about west of Venice and about southwest of Padua, in the western end of the Euganean Hills. Mount Venda forms part of its territory, at the highest of the Hills area. Along with four other Italian towns, Vò shares the distinction of having the shortest town name in Italy. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 3,416. Vo' borders the following municipalities: Agugliaro, Albettone, Cinto Euganeo, Galzignano Terme, Lozzo Atestino, Rovolon, and Teolo.
Vò takes its name from the Latin "Vadum," probably the ancient commercial port on the Adige River, which until 589 forked near Monte Este, and its secondary branch ran alongside the Euganean Hills, skirting Monte della Madonna. During the medieval period two castles went up: one belonging to the noble Da Vo' family and another at Castellaro belonging to the Maltraversi family.
Between the 16th and 17th centuries noted Venetian families (including the Contarini and the Veniers) built a number of villas in the area, and at this same time the old center, Vo' Vecchio, was founded, seat of the comune until 1900. In 1900 a new municipal "capital" was set up at Vo' Centro, known also as Ca' Erizzo; in 1933 the name Vo' was made definitive. As for orthography, the name is properly written with an apostrophe, although it is sometimes erroneously spelled with a grave accent (Vò). One of its most famous villas is the Ca' Morosini. The villa, which goes back to at least 1300 and was once a Benedictine hermitage, has belonged to the Zavattiero family since 1930.