The House of Carlo Goldoni, or in Italian, Casa di Carlo Goldoni is a small palace, that served as the residence of the Italian playwright Carlo Goldoni. Located in San Polo, Venice, it is now a museum and library of theater studies.


The small Gothic style palace is located on Calle dei Nomboli 2793. Originally property of the Rizzi family. The palace passed on till it was bought in the 17th century by the grandfather of Carlo Goldoni. The House of Carlo Goldoni and Library of Theatre Studies (Casa di Goldoni e Biblioteca di Studi Teatrali) a museum managed by the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia which exhibits collections on Goldoni's life and works, as well as artefacts relating to Venetian theatre

Venice,, San Polo,


The Palazzo Donà or Donà Brusa is a Venetian Gothic style palace located in Campo San Polo in the Sestiere of San Polo in Venice. The palace was originally built by the old aristocratic Donà family, originally from Aquileia. Three members of the family, Francesco, Leonardo, and Nicolo became Doges. The composer Giovanni Francesco Brusa, a collaborator with Carlo Goldoni, lived in the palace. The palace is now owned by the Signum Foundation, which sponsors exhibitions from Polish and foreign contemporary artists. Signum, website. There are at least three other Dona palaces in Venice, the Palazzo Donà della Madoneta on the Grand Canal, the Palazzo Donà-Ottobon in Fondamenta San Severo in Castello, and the Palazzo Donà dalle Rose in Cannaregio.

Venice,, San Polo,


The Chiesa di San Polo is a Catholic church in Venice, dedicated to the Apostle Paul. It gives its name to the San Polo sestiere of the city. The current Gothic church dates from the 15th century, but a church has stood on the site since the 9th century and the south doorway, possibly by Bartolomeo Bon, survives from this church. The campanile, standing detached from the church, was built in 1362. The interior has a ship's keel roof and was restored in 1804 by Davide Rossi. On the left wall near the entrance is a Last Supper by Jacopo Tintoretto, while the first altarpiece on the left, is attributed to his studio. Other walls have canvases by Paolo Piazza (St Silvester baptizes Emperor Constantine and St Paul Preaching; by Jacopo Guarana (Sacred Heart). The altar of the apsidal chapel on the left has a Marriage of the Virgin by Paolo Veronese. The presbytery has canvases by Palma il Giovane including St Peter and the Keys, the St Paul at Tarsus, and a Temptation of St Anthony Abbot). Next to the altar are two bronze statues by Alessandro Vittoria:St Paul and St Anthony Abbot. Among the ceiling paintings are a Glory of Angels and Resurrection by Giandomenico Tiepolo. His father, Giambattista is thought to be the author of Virgin appears to St John Nepomuk, commissioned by the King of Poland, August III.

Other Works of Art in Church

  • Giambattista Tiepolo (Virgin appearing to a Saint on the north wall of the nave)
  • Gian Domenico Tiepolo (Stations of the Cross, Glory of Angels and Resurrection in the Oratory of the Crucifix)
  • Veronese ( Marriage of the Virgin in the north apse chapel)

Venice,, San Polo,


The Palazzo Soranzo is composed of two adjacent Gothic palaces or palazzi, located facing Campo San Polo, in the sestiere San Polo of Venice, Italy. There is a distinct Palazzo Soranzo Piovene on the Grand Canal of Venice. Originally the facade of the palaces faced a canal, the Rio Sant'Antonio, which was paved over in 1761. Originally, small bridges provided access to the campo. The campo had been paved by 1493. The oldest part of the complex dates to the mid-1300s. The newer building, with the broad 8 adjacent windows in piano nobile, was erected in the 15th-century. It was once decorated with frescoes by Giorgione. The Soranzo family was a prominent Venetian noble family. One of the members, Giovanni Soranzo, was elected Doge in 1312 and served till 1328. He had been an admiral who defeated the Genoese at Kaffa in the Crimea. Most of the original paintings and removable decoration were sold over the centuries. The palace is now privately owned, and subdivided into apartments and offices.

Venice,, San Polo,


The Campo San Polo is the largest campo in Venice, Italy and the second largest Venetian public square after the Piazza San Marco. It is located in the Sestieri San Polo. Originally dedicated to grazing and agriculture, in 1493 it was entirely paved, a well (one of the few fountains to be found in Venice) being placed in the middle. It was subsequently used as the scene of many a bullfight, mass sermons and masked balls. After the 17th century the poor's market was moved here from Piazza San Marco. It remains to this day one of the most popular Carnival venues and is also used for open air concerts and screenings during the Venice Film Festival. Lorenzino de' Medici was assassinated here in 1548. Facing the church are the following buildings:

  • Church of San Polo
  • Palazzo Tiepolo
  • Palazzo Soranzo
  • Palazzo Donà
  • Palazzo Corner Mocenigo

Venice,, San Polo,

follow us