Italy has several great Bouldering Areas that are destination worthy. In the past few years bouldering in Italy is just as importation as roped climbing and other mountaineering activities. With the Italian Dolomites, Italian Alps, and some of the smaller mountain groups thought out the country there is a good variety of rock types, styles, and seasonal destinations. Combine the climbing with the history, food and wine, and culture Italy becomes a prefect place to enjoy an active vacation while exploring the blocs.
Perhaps the most developed area in Italy is the Piedmont Region, in terms of number of sites, but I would have to say the best areas are in the Trentino Alto Adige Region, and Lombardy Region. If you are looking for sand stone you can head for the Emilia Romagna Region, Tuscany Region, and the Marches. Even the Islands of Sicily and Sardina have several great sites to explore.
BOULDERING ITALY NOTES.
In this guide I have chosen to include, what to me, looked like the clear and obvious places to boulder in Italy. Since I do not know who established the all the routes I can not say someone else did not see the rock different. So, before you get pissed and upset, accept my apologies in advance, I am trying to provide a good starter guide for individuals to get to an area and start climbing. The joy of the sport is that we can all climb for ourselves and gain our own individual level of success. If you are visiting PLEASE BUY A LOCAL GUIDEBOOK to find the grades and updated route information.
Bouldering ethics should be simple just walk around, find a boulder and top it out!
- If you do not need to top out don't. Leave the natural plants and moss in place if possible. Remember they are helping create O2 for us.
- Chipping: What you can't remove with a stiff plastic brush should stay (unless something is very loose and dangerous).
- Leaving tickmarks: When red pointing a boulder it is useful to mark the rock in order to find the holds and mark your sequence. However, it is very important that your drawings are brushed away as to not confuse other climbers.
WHERE TO BOULDER IN ITALY
Bouldering in the Veneto Region
- Bouldering Trentino Alto Adige (8)
- Bouldering Sites Friuli Venezia (1)
- Bouldering Emilia Romagna (2)
- Bouldering Abruzzo (1)
- Bouldering Lazio (1)
- Bouldering Sardinia (1)
- Bouldering Campania (1)
- Bouldering Calabria (1)
- Bouldering Puglia (1)
- Bouldering Sicily (1)
- Bouldering Balsilicata (1)
- Bouldering Molise (1)
- Bouldering Sites Aosta Region (1)
- Bouldering Sites Lombardy Region (8)
- Bouldering Sites Piedmont Region (1)
- Bouldering Sites Liguria Region (1)
- Bouldering Sites Tuscany Region (1)
- Bouldering Sites Umbria Region (1)
- Bouldering Sites The Marches Region (1)