RAPALLO | LIGURIA REGION
The Town of Rapallo is part of the Tigullio Gulf and is located between Portofino and Chiavari, 24 km (15 mi) east of the city of Genoa at the innermost point of the Gulf of Rapallo, and is included in the Parco Naturale Regionale di Portofino.
Rapallo has been known for its climate that made it over the years the winter residence of preference for most of the affluent Italians living in the North West of Italy. Its proximity to the coast makes for mild winters where people can enjoy easy strolls on the sunny promenade and the golfers can enjoy one of the oldest courses in Italy, an 18 hole course founded in 1930 and open all year around.
Rapallo was the scene of many important naval encounters, and during the centuris it was attacked and sacked by the Ottomans and pirates. In late 1917, an Anglo-Franco-Italian conference met at Rapallo following the disastrous defeat of the Italian forces by the Germans and Austrians at Caporetto (now Korbarid, Slovenia). It was decided to create a supreme war council at Versailles and to shift some French and British troops to the Italian front.
On November 12, 1920, Italy and the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes (later renamed Yugoslavia) signed the Treaty of Rapallo, which resolved the frontier issues between them without reference to the other Allies. Italy acquired the strategically important crest of the Julian Alps as her boundary in the northeast. Also concluded at Rapallo was the Russian-German treaty of April 1922.