Located in the Berici Hills along the Tocai Rosso wine road the small town of Castegnero offers a nice break. The Castegnero territory has been inhabited ever since prehistoric times, especially on the hills, as many archaeological findings prove.
During the Longobard domination of Italy, that lasted for about 2 centuries, Castegnero, due to its strategical location, became a military outpost; the Longobardic presence in Castegnero might also be confirmed by the title-saint of the local church, St.George, much worshipped by all Longobards. After the arrival of Benedictine monks, in the late 8th century, who supported massive improvements in agriculture, the landscape of Castegnero slowly, but dramatically changed, as they promoted the claiming of swamps, the clearing of woods, as well as the building of hospitals and shelters for the poor. In a 1431 and in a 1443 document it is recorded the presence in Castegnero of a St.Michael's Hospital. In 1322, when the Veronese Scaligeri lords conquered Vicenza, Castegnero's fortress was destroyed. In 1404 it began for Castegnero the relatively undisturbed age of Venice's dominion. During this period, Castegnero and Villaganzerla were two distinct boroughs, with distinct administration; Villaganzerla was absorbed into Castegnero in 1816, by imperial decree.