campagolo bike

Campagnolo is an Italian manufacturer of high-end bicycle components with headquarters in the city of Vicenza, Italy. The components are organised as groupsets (gruppi), and are a near-complete collection of a bicycle's mechanical parts. Campagnolo's flagship components are the Super Record, Record, and Chorus group-sets that represent their recent shift to 11-speed drivetrains. Record and Super Record are the top group-sets, followed by Chorus, Athena, Centaur and Veloce. Campagnolo also produces aluminum and carbon wheels, as well as other components (like carbon seat posts, and bottle-cages).

Founded by Tullio Campagnolo, the company began in 1933 in a Vicenza workshop. The founder was a racing cyclist in Italy in the 1920s and he conceived several ideas while racing, such as the quick release mechanism for bicycle wheels, derailleurs, and the rod gear for gear changing. The idea for the quick release mechanism is said to have come to him during a snowy race over Passo d’Aune Croce d'Aune), where you will find a monument to him today. Campagnolo has been awarded more than 135 patents for innovations in cycling technology. At the end of the 1950s, Campagnolo started to manufacture magnesium parts such as wheels for sports cars like Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Maserati, and built chassis for NASA satellites in 1969. Campagnolo Milestones In 1963, Campagnolo produced a disc brake for the Innocenti Lambretta TV motor scooter - the first two-wheel production vehicle with such a brake. In the 1970s they also supplied wheels for Ferrari's Formula One cars. Campagnolo worked with the manufacturer Colnago and racer Eddy Merckx and produced lightweight parts for the bike he used to beat the world hour record in 1972.

Following Campagnolo's success during the 1970s and '80s, innovation lagged as rival Shimano developed indexed shifting and combined shifter/brake levers (Shimano Total Integration). An unsuccessful foray into mountain biking, the Record-OR (off-road) group-set contributed to the company's decline during those years. Despite its struggles, Campagnolo introduced its ErgoPower combined shifter/brake levers and renewed its focus on high-end road cycling components. The late 1990s and early 2000s saw Campagnolo's increased use of carbon fibre and titanium parts in group-sets and the development of wheelsets. In 2004, Campagnolo introduced a complete Compact drivetrain with smaller chainrings, to give lower gears than traditional drivetrains. Other innovations included a Hirth-joint engineered Ultra-Torque external-bearing crank-set and G3 spoke lacing for racing wheels. In 2008, Campagnolo introduced 11-speed drivetrains with Super Record, Record, and Chorus group-sets. Campagnolo has released an electronic version of its drivetrain. Campagnolo has focused on road cycling and track cycling. Campagnolo sponsors teams in the UCI ProTour such as Caisse d'Epargne, Cofidis, Quick Step-Innergetic (Tom Boonen, Paolo Bettini), and Lampre. Campagnolo is associated with the victories of Eddy Merckx, who used Campagnolo exclusively and was a friend of Tullio Campagnolo.

Campagnolo Timeline

  • 1901 Tullio Campagnolo is born on 26 August in the eastern suburbs of Vicenza, Italy
  • 1922 Tullio Campagnolo begins his racing career 1930 Campagnolo patents the quick-release hub
  • 1933 After fabricating parts in the backroom of his father's hardware store, Tullio starts Campagnolo SPA with production of the quick-release hub
  • 1940 Tullio hires his first full-time employee. The derailleur enters production, enabling gears to change without removing the wheel. The pieces are handmade
  • 1949 Campagnolo introduces a parallelogram rear derailleur, the Gran Sport 1956 Campagnolo introduces a parallelogram front derailleur
  • 1963 The Record rear derailleur (chromed bronze) is introduced
  • 1966 The Nuovo Record rear derailleur is introduced. Eddy Merckx uses it for his first four Tour de France victories
  • 1973 The Super Record Road and Track groups are introduced.
  • 1983 Tullio Campagnolo dies on 3 February. Anniversary group-set to mark 50 years of Campagnolo bicycle parts. 1985 Campagnolo creates Delta brakes, with a parallelogram linkage to actuate the calipers.
  • 1986 The re-designed Record road and track group-sets (also known as C-Record) are introduced, replacing Super Record as the top of range
  • 1987 The last year of Super Record until 2008
  • 1989 Campagnolo introduces a mountain bike group-set, which is heavier and less advanced than those by Shimano and Sun Tour.
  • 1991 8-speed shifting components are introduced
  • 1992 The ErgoPower levers are introduced, which combines brake lever and a shift lever to answer Shimano's STI levers
  • 1993 Delta brakes are discontinued
  • 1994 Campagnolo leaves the mountain bike components business
  • 1995 Group names on components are introduced
  • 1997 9-speed shifting components are introduced
  • 1998 Next generation Ergo Levers
  • 1999 Record Carbon Ergo levers, Daytona group, and for the Record, Chorus and Daytona groups new hubs (much lighter than the old ones, axles made of aluminum alloy are introduced
  • 2000 10-speed shifting is introduced
  • 2001 Carbon-fiber shifting levers for Record group
  • 2002 Former Daytona group is renamed "Centaur"
  • 2004 Carbon-fiber cranks for Record and Chorus groups
  • 2005 10-speed Centaur and Chorus shift and brake levers are introduced for flat bar road bikes
  • 2006 Hollow external bearing crank-set is announced
  • 2007 10-speed Mirage and Xenon component groups and new Ultra-Torque components are introduced. Record hubs are now black, 20 g lighter and don't have greaseports any more
  • 2008 11-speed Record, Super-Record, and Chorus groups are introduced
  • 2009 Re-introduction of 11-speed Athena component group below Chorus in product line
  • 2011 First electric 11-speed Super-Record group to be used at the Tour de France by Team Movistar
  • 2013 80th anniversary group-set made.
  • 2014 Super Record RS group-set introduced following input from professional team riders. Fulcrum Wheels, a company owned by Campagnolo, produces wheelsets compatible with Campagnolo and Shimano cassettes. The ErgoBrain cyclo-computer compatible with the Ergo shifters displays cadence, gear, and the normal functions of a cyclo-computer.
  • 2015 Athena EPS discontinued and Chorus EPS introduced. Chorus, Record and Super Record group-sets are overhauled with a 4 arm, 8 bolt chain set introduced. Bora 50 and 35 wheels become available in Clincher and adopt a wider rim profile.
  • 2015 Campagnolo announces that factory production is to be moved to Romania.

Bike Touring,, Vicenza,, Passo d'Aune,, Bike Factory,


santa corona church

Santa Corona is a medieval church located in Vicenza, and contains the Valmarana chapel (circa 1576), whose design is attributed to the architect Andrea Palladio. Palladio himself is buried in this church. The church was founded by the Blessed (Beato) Bishop Bartolomeo di Breganze, during the 1200s to house a thorn from the supposed relic of the crown (corona) of thorns forced on Jesus during his passion. The thorn had been given to this bishop as a gift from Louis IX of France. The church belonged to the Dominican order until suppression during the Napoleonic era.

The church has an altarpiece depicting, the Baptism of Christ (1500-1502) by Giovanni Bellini. The Thiene chapel has frescos by Michelino da Besozzo, and an altarpiece depicting an Enthroned Madonna and child venerated by Saints Peter and Pius V by Giovanni Battista Pittoni . Other works in the church include an Adoration of the Magi’’ by Veronese, a Madonna of the Star‘ by Marcello Fogolino, a St Mary Magdalen with Saints Jerome, Paola and Monica, (1414-1415) by Bartolomeo Montagna, a canvas depicting St Anthony and friars distributing alms to poor (1518) by Leandro Bassano, and two canvases with depictions of St Sebastian and St Martin by Battista da Vicenza.

Valmarana Chapel

After the death of one of his patrons, Antonio Valmarana, likely in 1576, Palladio designed this funereal chapel. Santa Corona had already been the church were other members of the family had been interred. Ten years earlier, Palladio had designed the Palazzo Valmarana in town for the family. The chapel was constructed by 1597, and family members transferred here. While there is no documentary evidence linking this design to Palladio, it highly resembles his chapels found at the Il Redentore in Venice.



monte berico church

The Church of St. Mary of Mount Berico is a Roman Catholic and minor basilica in Vicenza, northern Italy. The church is a Marian shrine, and stands at the top of a hill which overlooks the city.

According to the legend, the Blessed Virgin appeared on the hill twice to a peasant worker named Vincenza Pasini; the first time occurred on March 7, 1426, the second on August 1, 1428. At this time in the Veneto, the people and economy had been suffering from a terrible plague for years. The Madonna promised that if the people of Vicenza built a church on the top of the hill she would rid them of the plague. The people kept their promise and the church was built in 3 months. The original church later became a sanctuary. It was projected by the architect Carlo Borella (1688) and was decorated by the sculptor Orazio Marinali from Bassano. The city of Vicenza ordered an inquiry through the Notary Publics a to look into these two exceptional events. The inquiry followed through during November, 1430. The court recordings are still preserved today in the city library, ' Biblioteca Civica Bertoliana'.

The first religious services of the basilica were given to the Order of Bridgettines (the Franciscan Order of Santa Brigida) by the city on November 2, 1429. At the end of May, 1435, the nuns of Saint Brigid were ordered to leave the basilica by order of Pope Eugene IV on March 18, 1435, and were ordered to return to their original way of life of their order's foundation. The Vicenza city magistracy was given the rights to Monte Berico. They then proceeded to cede the church and convent to the Servite Order(Servants of Mary) on May 31, 1435. The next day, Francesco Malipiero, the bishop of Vicenza, gave the chapel the name that still exists today. In 1821 were casted the 15 bells in B, rung in the Veronese bellringing art.

The Architecture

The stairs constructed in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1595 were ordered by Giacomo Bragadin, a leading figure of the Republic of Venice in Vicenza. The stairway terminates in a small open clearing halfway up the hill where there is a view of the city below. This walkway currently connects the city with the Sanctuary of the Madonna. These stairs were designed and built by Francesco Muttoni on March 7, 1746. The total length of the stairs is around 700 meters, consisting of 150 arches, grouped in tens. Each group is divided to symbolize the 15 mysteries and the 150 Hail Marys in the rosary. The church contains a number of artworks. The original basilica has been restored repeatedly during the centuries, sometimes with famous architects such as Palladio, Piovene and Miglioranza. All these changes are still visible today.

The Madonna

The statue of the Virgin Mary was sculpted by Nicolò da Venezia in 1430, two years after the second apparition to a local peasant named Vincenza Pasini.



piazzale vittoria 

Piazzale della Vittoria is the square in front of the basilica on Monti Berico, which was dedicated September 23, 1924. It lies at the front of the northern facade of the Church of St Mary and givers you a full view of the city of Vicenza. A vast circular cement railing circles around this large open balcony, which looks out over the city. On the top of the railings there are markers that point out the well-known cities and panoramic views.

On clear days you have stunning views of Monte Grappa and Asiago Altopiano rising behind the city. Some other locations that can be viewed are the foothills of the PreAlps and along with the Lessini hills. The Venetian Lagoon, Mount Pasubio, Piave River, and many towns like Asolo, Thiene, Schio, and with a pair of bino's many other sites can be identified.



Palazzo Chiericati

The Palazzo Chiericati is a Renaissance palace in Vicenza, designed by Andrea Palladio.


Palladio was asked to build and design the palazzo by Count Girolamo Chiericati. The architect started building the architecture in 1550, and some further work was completed under the patronage of Chiericati's son who was also the heir to the Valeros. However, the palazzo was not fully finished until about 1680, possibly by Carlo Borella. Palladio also designed a country home, the Villa Chiericati, for the family. The palazzo was built in an area called piazza dell'Isola ("island square", currently Piazza Matteotti), which housed the wood and cattle market. At that time, it was an islet surrounded by the Retrone and Bacchiglione streams, and to protect the structure from the frequent floods, Palladio designed it on an elevated position: the entrance could be accessed by a triple Classic-style staircase.

Architectural details

The palazzo's principal façade is composed of three bays, the central bay projecting slightly. The two end bays have logge on the piano nobile level, while the central bay is closed. The façade has two superimposed orders of columns, Doric on the lower level with Ionic above. The roofline is decorated by statuary.

Vicenza,, Villas,

follow us


  • About Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Privacy Policy