MUGGIA | TRIESTE PROVINCE
Muggia, Trieste Province in the Friuli Venezia Region of Italy, (Friulian: Mugle, Venetian: Muia)) is an Italian comune in the extreme south-east of the province lying on the border with Slovenia. Muggia rests on the last stretch of Istria still within Italian territory, after the dissolution of the Free Territory of Trieste in 1954 ceded the bulk of Istria to then Yugoslavia (now divided between Slovenia and Croatia). Its territory, limited on the sea-side by a shoreline of more than featuring a coastal road and on the border side by a hill system, Monti di Muggia, including Mt. Castellier, Mt. S. Michele, Mt. Zuc and Monte d'Oro, that dominate over a vast landscape of Italian and Istrian coast, is characterized by a rich sub-continental vegetation of both Carsic and Istrian type. It has a border crossing, known as San Bartolomeo, with Slovenia and the extreme west of the comune at Lazaretto. The Slovenian border crossing is called Lazaret in Koper municipality.
WHAT TO SEE IN MUGGIA
Muggia provides many evident traces of its Venetian traditions and origin, as showed by the dialect, the gastronomic traditions, the gothic-venetian style of some houses, the devious "calli", the loggias, the ogive arches, the ancient coats of arms on the façades but mostly the main square, a true Venetian "campiello". Memories of its early ages include an important pre-historic "castelliere" on Mt. Castellier (S. Barbara) and Roman (Archaeological Park of Castrum Muglae) and medieval remains in Muggia Vecchia (Old Muggia), once one of the guarding castles that in the 10th century were built to defend the Istrian border against the invasion of the Hungars. The Castle of Muggia, destroyed in 1353 by the Triestines, retains several remains of the previous period such as the ruins of the walls. A tower dating back to 1374 was due to the Patriarch of Aquileia Marquard of Muggia. Later in 1735, under the government of the Republic of Venice, it was restored, but it was totally abandoned during the following century. The Castle was restored by its current owners, the sculptor Villi Bossi and his wife Gabriella, and may be visited upon request. The most important art attraction is the little basilica of Santa Maria Assunta (10th-13th century), housing frescoes from the 14th-15th centuries.