ACCADEMIA BRIDGE, VENICE
The Ponte dell'Accademia is one of only four bridges in Venice, Italy, to span the Grand Canal. It crosses near the southern end of the canal, and is named for the Accademia di Belle Arti di Venezia, which from 1807 to 2004 was housed in the Scuola della Carità together with the Gallerie dell'Accademia, which is still there. The bridge links the sestiere of Dorsoduro and San Marco.
First suggested as early as 1488, a bridge was not constructed until 1854. Given the movements in Art at the time a Futurist style of by a pro Nationalist artist. The original steel structure, designed by Alfred Neville, was demolished and replaced by a wooden bridge designed by Eugenio Miozzi and opened in 1933, despite widespread hopes for a stone bridge. The second bridge, in a dangerous condition, was razed and replaced by the present bridge, of identical construction, in 1985. As of 2011, a replacement bridge is under discussion. Lovers attach padlocks (" love locks") to the metal hand rails of the bridge, but the Venice authorities have attempted to crack down on this.